Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Volvo TSB 43908-2

Well all, the "B4 cover" service sheet has cured my lumpy shift fom 2-3 on my '02 XC70.

But..the part cost me NZ$46 and it took just over 2 hours to do at NZ$90/hour to fix.

But... cheaper than a new trans!!!!

Default B4

I have a bumpy shift from 2-3rd. I am not familiar with this repair. Can you provide me with some more details?

Hi,

Yep, takes a good dealer or indie about 2 hours. It is a small part that replaces the cover on the side of the box for the B4 servo gadget. Ask your dealer to see the the technical service bulletin on this. They will have it. It is 5 pages. The number is the title to this thread.

Glad it helped but boy did you get the shaft!
    So actually it takes a really BAD dealer or mechanic to take that long
    The part costs me about $12 and it's about a 20 minute job, tops.
    It takes longer to put the car on a lift and to remove the tire than it does to change the B4 servo cover

Cool

Unbelieveably, it was FIRST 1 they had done!! I pity the other poor shmucks that didn't know or do the homework to learn about this simple fix.

Quote Originally Posted by nzoliver View Post
    Unbelieveably, it was FIRST 1 they had done!! I pity the other poor shmucks that didn't know or do the homework to learn about this simple fix.
    Doesn't matter.
    All you do is put the car on a lift, remove the front wheel.
    The cover is right there,you remove the cover, it usually falls apart, you put the new one on and screw it back up , put the tire on and let it down.
    Volvo (Aisin Warner) has gone thru about 4 different ones, they seem to deterioate very easily and now they seem to have a good one.
    Sometimes it helps, sometimes not, but my dealer said it's the 1st thing they look at for a 2-3 shift flare as it's so easy.
    I had them replace the one on my 2000 (usually not a problem with that year) as a matter of course. I think they charged me about 60 bucks including the part

Default Servo Cover

Does any one have the service bulletin or instructions that they could post?

Tks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    Does any one have the service bulletin or instructions that they could post?

Tks
    bump
    The fleet...

'02 Volvo V70xc w/72k miles SOLD

'03 Honda Element EX AWD w/52k miles
    '81 Toyota Diesel Pickup longbed 2WD w/85k miles
    '92 Plymouth Voyager (beater car) w/100k miles
    '03 Buell XB9 Lightning w/8k mile

[SIGPIC]

The cover is right there,you remove the cover, it usually falls apart, you put the new one on and screw it back up
    Are we all on the same page with this cover ?? You speak of it falling apart....are the original covers not aluminum like the new ones ? Also, you speak of screwing it back up.......is what you speak of not held in place by and inside circlip ? Just curious as I plan to do mine this weekend. I'm an automotive tech of 20 years' experience and it looks to me to probably take about an hour at the most. It does look to be somewhat obscured by inner fender requiring 90 degree snap ring pliers, but not a major undertaking.

Dave.

Default B4

I did mine 3 weeks ago and it cured my terrible 2-3 shifting problems. It also took me 2.5 hours. When they refer to it falling apart it is in regards to the inside washer that is supposed to be tack welded to the inside of the cover. If there is a problem the inside washer lets go and floats around. I believe the piston will not return to its normal position causing the shifting problems.

It took me so long to do because it is very hard to push the cover in with one hand using a lever while trying to put the clip back in. It was allot easier to remove the cover than putting it back in. I recommend pushing the cover in and then installing the temporary screw as shown in the diagram. I then took a socket and used it as a spacer between the cover and the screw - to hold the cover in place while I installed the clip. I wrapped the socket with some duck tape to keep it from slipping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast