Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can I use Syn Oil with an engine over 68k miles?

I always heard not to use it pass 40k miles but I noticed some people said even Volvo tech have told people with over 80k to use it. Just wondering what's your opinions.
    2004 xc90 2.5T
    1994 850 T-5

I say use synthetix whenever you feel like it.

But be prepared to lose some compression as the synthetic oil cleans your engine. Using petroleum oil creates sludge build-up that actually helps retain cylinder compression. Switching to synthetix has a neat way of clearing out that sludge and the compression value created by sludge.

It's better to switch as soon as possible rather than allow the engine to become dependant on sludge simply to have compression.

I use Amsoil Euro 5w30 and Tufoil engine additive. I switched my XC70 at 52k about three months ago when I purchased the car.

It runs like a dream and MPG increased from 18.3 to 26.

Not all synthetix are better than petrol oil. Avoid Pennzoil like the plague.

Castrol Syntec is very good, but burns off easy. It cleans extremely well.

I always recommend Amsoil and Tufoil. Amsoil was the first to sell automotive synthetix back in 1972. They know it better than anyone else.

Tufoil holds the Guiness World record for being the slipperiest (sp?) substance known to man. In a test against 60 other oil additives in the four-ball wear test, all other products burned up into smoke under 6 minutes. Tufoil lasted 16 days.

With synthetix, your main concern will shift to how good your filtration is, more so than oil longevity.

Good luck.

What about Mobil 1 syn? I read that mobil 1 helped amsoil way back withthere syn b/c they were lacking. I'm surprised how much you increased on the MPG just from using SYN that's great. Was that based on City or Highway driving?

Quote Originally Posted by ajusaf View Post
    What about Mobil 1 syn? I read that mobil 1 helped amsoil way back withthere syn b/c they were lacking. I'm surprised how much you increased on the MPG just from using SYN that's great. Was that based on City or Highway driving?
    I have no idea about Mobil helping out Amsoil back then. I do know that Mobil 1 does exactly the same thing Amsoil does everytime Amsoil does something new and cool.

At times I've wondered if Mobil owns Amsoil and uses it as a test bed and marketing tool.

Mobil 1 synthetic in no way compares to Amsoil. Wear tests put Mobil 1 at the bottom of the heap right along side Pennzoil.

My mileage increased dramatically after I installed the Amsoil, Tufoil, a K&N air filter and aired the tires to 40 psi. This is city driving. On a recent 1800 mile roadtrip, the best I got was 30.5.

I've recently removed the K&N and mileage has dropped 1.5 so far. I expect it to level off around 24 mpg.

The paper filters work so much better with the car, though air flow is choked when you're stepping into the turbo. Oh well, drivability is excellent. I don't really need to speed constantly.

tufoil is way too much $$$ i saw a gallon jug for $135 I'll try amsoil again but I recall you have to pay for a annual membership or something correct?
    2004 xc90 2.5T
    1994 850 T-5

tufoil is way too much $$$ i saw a gallon jug for $135 I'll try amsoil again but I recall you have to pay for a annual membership or something correct?
    Tufoil can be bought at Pepboys for around $14 per 8 oz bottle. Use 8 oz for the first treatment, then 4 oz thereafter. You can find it on Ebay as well.

I buy my Amsoil at the local BAP/Geon import parts house. You can order Amsoil right off their homepage without being a member (dealer). You can pay $25 and become a dealer and sell it to your friends and family. With that dealership you get a little discount.

I'd rather support my local parts house.

oh so tufoil is what? I thought it was another syn oil company. you only use 8 ounces? I doubt I can find a store that carries amsoil in Miami FL
    2004 xc90 2.5T
    1994 850 T-5

oh so tufoil is what? I thought it was another syn oil company. you only use 8 ounces? I doubt I can find a store that carries amsoil in Miami FL
    Try this:

https://www.amsoil.com/dealerlocatorresults/

Tufoil is a form of PTFE, which is the basic element in Teflon.

http://tufoil.com/consumer/home.html

Another product worth mentioning that I've used sucessfully is Bi-Tron.
    Here's a video of what it can do. I'm not sure if Tufoil is better. They're different animals.
    http://www.echowavepro.com/bitronvid.htm
    Last edited by Allen; 01-14-2007 at 11:07 PM.

i noticed amsoil has different kind of motor oil like afl or ols etc.. forgot the letters
    2004 xc90 2.5T
    1994 850 T-5

I heard one of the best things is Lucas added with the oil
    2004 xc90 2.5T
    1994 850 T-5

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast