Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    No, yours does not. 01's and a few early 02's only.
    I had my chat today and when I have time later will post the result of my conversation with my service manager, (sorry for the delay but I have to run now)
    OK, what he said was this:
    If you're having a shift flare problem look at the B4 servo first (along with software). At that time you can get a good look at the condition of the fluid. If it's dark, change it ASAP.
    If it's BURNT, (your tech will tell you) your tranny is toast and all the flushing and software won't help.
    I also tried to clarify the valve body deal a bit. He said sometimes they can cure the problem, usually clunking or weird shifting, (NOT the flare) BUT everything else has to be OK, fluid, etc. If not, you're just wasting a lot of money for nothing

Thanks for clarifying things with the B4 piston servo cover.

I discussed the intermittent and infrequent shift flare issue with my service advisor. He did not think it was the B4 piston servo issue, but suggested that there might have been some dirt in the throttle body. I plan to add a Magnefine filter soon, and will flush and fill the tranny again next year when the weather is more conducive to working in my drive way.

Merry Christmas
    2004 XC70 43K Silver over Graphite, Premium and Cold Weather packages.
    2001 V70 XC, 93K, 08/01 build in Torslanda, Sweden, stock except for K&N. Gone but not forgotten.
    1995 850 Turbo - great ride with 225K, not mine any more
    2004 XC90 - it's gone
    1993 850 GLT - not really missed
    1986 GMC Suburban 2500, 454 V8 - for pulling really heavy things.
    VCOA

Quote Originally Posted by volvoshad View Post
    Thanks for clarifying things with the B4 piston servo cover.

I discussed the intermittent and infrequent shift flare issue with my service advisor. He did not think it was the B4 piston servo issue, but suggested that there might have been some dirt in the throttle body. I plan to add a Magnefine filter soon, and will flush and fill the tranny again next year when the weather is more conducive to working in my drive way.

Merry Christmas
    What have you got to lose?
    The B4 cover is literally a 5 minute job to check (and replace if necessary).
    Also the best place to get a GOOD look at the fluid more than a thin line on a stick

Default How much tranny fluid will be lost?

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    What have you got to lose?
    The B4 cover is literally a 5 minute job to check (and replace if necessary).
    Also the best place to get a GOOD look at the fluid more than a thin line on a stick
    Given my current reading on the subject, I think I'm going to make the investment in $$$ for the part & tools and time to do the servo replacement.

However, how much fluid can I expect to lose in replacing it? Do I need to have a lot of extra on hand to refill what is lost?

Also - did anyone have an issue with the Piston springing out? I'm rather concerned about the prospect of it shooting out and shattering on me.
    Last edited by ltoolio; 09-05-2007 at 07:58 AM.
    '01 Volvo V70 XC Ash Gold
    Beige/Light Sand Leather
    Premium / Touring / Booster

Default B4

I did my B4 2 months ago. Every 2-3 shift was bad. I then changed the cover and it cured the shifting problem. I lost about 1 ounces of fluid.

It took me over 2 hours to do the job. Very little space and found it hard to hold the piston in position with one hand while putting the clip back on with the other.

I installed the large bolt that they recommend in the procedure, to be used as a leverage point, then used a socket (covered in duct tape) acting as a spacer between the cover and bolt. The socket kept the piston pushed into the transmission body allowing me to use 2 hands to put the clip back on. Even then I found it difficult to get in the proper position. The duct tape helped keep the socket from slipping out of position.

Another word of warning is to get a proper circlip plier. The one I had was too small and the clip kept flying off.

Any way it worked for me but not a 5 minute job as other describe. Two Volvo dealers did not seem to know about the B4 bug so I relied on VolvoXC.com for help!

Default b4 Servo Cover

Blackstone & all:

I see you replaced your b4 servo cover. I have harsh shifts at times from 2 to 3 especially. I have the latest software, did the Gibbons transmission flush, and installed a new lower transmission mount. This all helped, however, have still some harsh shifts. My VIN number is not in the range of VIN numbers that indicate the b4 servo could be defective. The TSB lists range, approximate as they put it, from 036000 to 067100, mine is 035177. Based on this my dealer thinks this b4 servo issue does not apply to my car. How much did this fix help? Was your VIN number in the specified range? Did you have to do anything with "adaptation" resetting? Is it just a fix and drive?
    My 2001 XC has about 115.7K miles.
    Thanks.

Default Transmission woes

My transmission was replaced twice this year. It started with the same 2-3 shift problem. The first replacement unit went "clunk" in the traffic and gave me a "transmission service" code and would not get out of high gear. The dealer fixed it, but then insisted on ordering a new unit on warrantee. In fact I preferred the fixed unit, it seemed a whole lot smoother. This second unit is still not great. I suspect the mechanics who do the replacements here in SA don't fit these units perfectly. I half expect the same again. Any suggestions?

2002 XC70 AT

Quote Originally Posted by msir1995 View Post
    My VIN number is not in the range of VIN numbers that indicate the b4 servo could be defective. The TSB lists range, approximate as they put it, from 036000 to 067100, mine is 035177. Based on this my dealer thinks this b4 servo issue does not apply to my car. How much did this fix help? Was your VIN number in the specified range? Did you have to do anything with "adaptation" resetting? Is it just a fix and drive?
    You could always inspect the cover and see if the welds are broken.
    2001 Volvo V70XC
    Venitian Red/Beige
    Cold Weather/Touring/Premium packages
    08/01 Build Date

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123