Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transmission bad after service?

Oh no – just had my 2003 XC70 2.5 back from 116.000km service. Volvo called me during the service and recommended to change transmission oil so I said OK. Today, after about 50km driving, the car kind of “jumped” and a loud “klonk” sounded. The normally displayed “0” in the main display changed to a minus sign and the transmission suddenly refused to shift. I tried switching to manual, but the transmission refused to do anything at all. The driving computer displayed a Swedish message equivalent to something like “Transmission service required”, and the orange engine sign came on.
    Really, really worried I stopped the car by the roadside, turned off the key to zero and restarted the car. The same error message was displayed in both the computer display together with the orange engine sign. However, the transmission was now acting normally again. After about 5 minutes of driving the same sudden jump and loud “klonk” sound happen again, and the transmission died again.
    After restarting the car the same thing happed two more times during the 100 km drive home. I switched to manual the last 20km or so, but the same thing happened even in manual mode.
    Volvo is closed and does not open until Monday. I have never seen this error message before, and the car has been almost perfect up until now.
    Is it reasonable to believe that the service guys at Volvo have done something wrong when they changed the transmission oil since this problem suddenly happened the day after service? I will confront them on Monday, but in the mean time I am really worried something bad happened . Is it possible that they forgot - (I don’t even dare to thing about it) to refill the oil, fasten a tube or something?

I can think of two errors that may have occurred in the servicing that might cause or contribute to this:

(1) Too little/too much transmission fluid

(2) Using the wrong transmission fluid (I believe your vehicle requires JWS 3309 ATF).

You might want to take a couple minutes over the weekend and check the fluid level.

Bill
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Thank you very much for your advices Bill, will check the oil level. I will post an update as soon as I hear from the service guys at Volvo.

Bill, thank you again! I did check the oil level with the yellow stick according to your instructions, and wow - your guess must be correct because the oil level is almost 3 inches above the *hot* mark - and the engine is cold!! I did the check three times, because at first I believed that there was some oil in the metal tube causing this wierd measurement. Text on the yellow stick states "Do not overfill", so I hope that the service guys at Volvo did not harm the transmission by this extensive overfill. Do you think the overfill have already harmed the transmission?

Vidar,

Somewhere I recall reading that overfilling can lead to overheating, but I don't really know what the impact of overfilling would be. Perhaps someone else on the forum has the expertise to answer that question.

Bill
    Bill
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Vidar,

In looking for additional information using the old VADIS database, I ran across this message regarding the '03 XC70 transmission:

"High Level (overfilling)"
    "Warning! The transmission must not be operated if the oil level is too high. This can cause increased operating temperatures and oil leakage."

Bill
    Bill
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Default Document with video and/or pictures

Before you return the vehicle to the dealership, be sure to document the overfull tranny and dipstick indication using a videocamera, or at the very least a digital or film camera. Maybe you could even save a small sample of the fluid, in case the wrong fluid was used during the service. Draw it up on the dipstick, and scrape into a small container. Make sure there is no way the service techs can cover their tracks and cover this up. And let them know that you have this documentation when you take the car in for evaluation.

How was the function of your transmission prior to this service? At the very least, you should be entitled to a personalized extended written warranty by the dealer on your transmission beyond the normal Volvo warranty. The alternative is for you to request installation of a new transmission, due to the unknown level of damage resulting from the dealership service staff. It's their mistake, and they should bear the potential cost of replacement.
    1999 XC70 Nautical blue/taupe, Cannondale Spica wheels, ipd skid plate (weekends)
    1991 Alfa Romeo 164S (daily driver)
    1967 Ford Mustang coupe (show car)
    ...and several other Italians ... (for fun)

Vidar,

One last detail: Are you following the necessary steps for an accurate reading of the dipstick?

These are :
    Park the car on the level and leave it running.
    Apply the parking brake.
    Hold your foot on the brake pedal.
    Put the transmission to the P position.
    Move the gear selector through all of its positions waiting for about 3 seconds in each position. Move the gear selector back to the P position and then wait 2 minutes before checking the fluid level leaving the engine running.

When you wipe off the dipstick do not use a cloth that may leave behind threads or any other debrie.

Bill
    Bill
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

You guys are so helpful, thank you all for helping. I was not aware that this is the way to measure the oil level, so I did it again according to the procedure you outlined. The level seems to be exactly the same as the first measurement.

I have now written a letter to the Volvo service department, including pictures that I took of the overfilling. I have also demanded a gearbox change or at least a written extended warranty.

Again, thank you all. I will post again as soon as I meet the service guys.

Just followin up this thread - The service techs at Volvo admitted they had filled to much oil on my gearbox and that this caused the problems described. They flushed the oil once more and filled the correct amount this time . They also upgraded the software, whatever this had to do with the problem I don't know. I expect to get a reply on the letter I wrote them regarding the extended warranty. Tested the car today, and the problem has dissapeared. So far so good. So, the moral is: Don't let them overfill your XC, and check the level just for safety after a service tech gearbox flush! Thank you for all help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast