Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Cool DIY Turbo Control Valve

So after browsing the web the last several days, I have found a way to build an HD turbo control valve that is identical to the iPd version for around $50 dollars. Here are the parts you need: 1) HD Solenoid Valve, 2) Bosch EV1 Connector, and 3) 1/8" vacuum connectors for solenoid valve. Throw in some teflon tape and some mounting tape and you are looking at the same HD TCV at a little over half price. Of course, you don't get the nifty mounting bracket, or a pre-assembled unit, but if you can work on your XC you can build this thing. You also need to find a rubber boot to cover connector. I have the parts coming in the mail and should have them this next week and will give a review! This is what a DIY version will look like in the end.

Smile

Love that DIY initiative! Keep us posted.
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,
    TitaniumTim XC Cup-holder Coasters.

Post the plans if you wouldn't mind......that looks like something I might want to do!!!

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

Once I get the parts, I will talk pictures and go through step by step on how to build. Apart from building the TCV, the install and computer learning time for the new solenoid valve are the same as the iPd HD TCV. Stand by for pictures and detailed instructions for this the next week!

That is cool. I didn't consider it. Good luck.

Actually, the mount is one part of iPD's TCV that I wasn't that impressed with. It is a piece of metal bent to form a back and an angle with a slot cut into the bend so it can slide onto the mount. You can easily build one with a bench vice and saw. It mounts to the TCV with bolts through the body of the TCV. You play with the gap until it mounts tightly enough.
    Last edited by slowflyer; 11-01-2009 at 06:28 PM.
    Current: 2010 XC70 T6 Caspian Blue/Grey

Previous: 2001 V70XC Nautic Blue/Grey 218K Volvo High Mileage Club,

I just got the fittings and solenoid in the mail today, but I am still waiting on the EV1 connector. I am contemplating just taking the connector from the working unit and using that. Here is a picture, as you can see, looks pretty similar to the iPd unit! I am still not sure 1/8" fittings will work, might have to go up to 1/4" to make work with hoses. I will install this weekend and give a review when done! [Edit: Looks like 1/4" fittings are the way to go, 1/8" are too small and won't work.]

Last edited by javaxc70; 11-06-2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Update

I just found out that every hardware store in town does not carry 1/8" npt fittings... yay!! Just doing a little prep work for when I get the fittings and EV1 connector next week since I won't get them this weekend. Next project is to figure out a mount for this thing.

For the fittings, try Parker- they are a hydraulic supply shop but I think they have air fittings as well.

Here is a woodworking supply that has them:

http://www.veneersupplies.com/produc...oducts_id=1142

As to the mount, if those 2 holes in the body go all the way through (assume they do because they do on the iPd), attach the mount there.

BTW I just noticed that iPd actually recommends a boost gauge when using the HD TCV. I have been thinking about one anyway. What kind do you have? Where is the gauge attached to the system? How did you mount the gauge (pod?) Where did you tie into electrical? Thanks
    Last edited by slowflyer; 11-06-2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: typo + add'l question

I got my boost gauge from harbor freight tools for $20 dollars, then went to autozone and purchased a univeral A pillar gauge pod. I tied the vacuum line into the hose coming from manifold back to turbo and just used a vacuum T-fitting from autozone as well. For the wiring, I used the iPd instructions for attaching wires to fuse box and also used their instructions as a guide to do the rest of the install (video found here). One of these days I am going back to wrap it in leather to make it look a little more professional. Using the video definitely made it easier to install.

Quote Originally Posted by javaxc70 View Post
    I got my boost gauge from harbor freight tools for $20 dollars, then went to autozone and purchased a univeral A pillar gauge pod. I tied the vacuum line into the hose coming from manifold back to turbo and just used a vacuum T-fitting from autozone as well. For the wiring, I used the iPd instructions for attaching wires to fuse box and also used their instructions as a guide to do the rest of the install (video found here). One of these days I am going back to wrap it in leather to make it look a little more professional. Using the video definitely made it easier to install.
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast