Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Overland to Morocco.
    Winter 2016-2017

Stage 10A – Guelmim Camel Market

Every Saturday the Camel Market takes place in Guelmim, EVEN ON New Year’s Eve daytime, so off we went to have a look as our last visit was a couple of years ago……
    Interestingly it is referred to as the ‘Camel Market’ while Camels have 2 Humps and Dromedaries which these are only have 1 Hump!......

Entrance Gate……

While inside is rather full of ‘Docker Taxis’ waiting for fares consisting of Animals, and these can be Sheep, Goats or Cattle and their new Human Owners to be transported to their new homes! That’s the Animals of course!…..

While over in the far right corner are the Dromedaries ……

I think this one was having ’40 Winks’ while still stood up!......

Young and old all-together and quite placid……

While each one had the marking on to identify their respective owner……

But they all had BIG Feet!......

A White Dromedary is worth 1.5 Times a Brown one while the value of this guy was 15,000MAD, (£1200.00 or US $1500.00)……

Oh what a regal head this guy has!..….

For a small fee these two would give you a ride around the market place in their long distance seats……

As we then move over to see the Sheep……

I then hear this voice coming over a small PA system and looking over the shoulders of the two men in front see this Snake ‘Charmer’……
    The snake on the mat in front got a bit ‘restless’ and as the man went to put a cloth over it to calm it down, it reared up and its mouth opened up very wide showing off it’s rather long fangs. So the man then threw the cloth over the snake and it settled down!......

Then climbing up a few steps we enter into the Fruit, Vegetables & Spices area……

While the next area, was Clothes and Household Items……

Then making our way back it was back through the Fruit & Veg section……

The next thing was being asked by the young man in the blue jacket if I would take their picture, as he spotted my camera, and put it on something called ‘Facebook’ which I don’t subscribe to, as a Morocco momento, while we had a really nice conversation and good laugh with all 5 of them, as each one welcomed us to their country!.......

I think this Sheep must have been a bit bored with the whole thing!……

As we came to the exit gate, just on the outside we spot this little Black Goat being held by the lady who had just bought him along with his mother.
    The little Black Goat was just 1 day old……

While this Sheep who had just been bought was being taken to the transport in a fashion resembling a ‘Wheelbarrow’ by its new owner!……

Good night!

While we wish you a Happy, Healthy & Prosperous NEW YEAR wherever you are!......

A very happy New Year to you and yours as well. Thank you for the time and trouble you take to drag all of us along with you.

Glad your weather is treating you well. Nice blue skies for you and no rain for a nice market day.

Did you buy your 'Regal' camel to take home with you? He may be willing to travel in the back of the car. He looks to be an older retired fellow as there seems to be a bald area at the front with more hair at the rear of the skull. Lots of time on his hoofs to travel. Reminds me of someone but I can't put my finger on who? A mirror seems to figure in my thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
    A very happy New Year to you and yours as well. Thank you for the time and trouble you take to drag all of us along with you.

Glad your weather is treating you well. Nice blue skies for you and no rain for a nice market day.

Did you buy your 'Regal' camel to take home with you? He may be willing to travel in the back of the car. He looks to be an older retired fellow as there seems to be a bald area at the front with more hair at the rear of the skull. Lots of time on his hoofs to travel. Reminds me of someone but I can't put my finger on who? A mirror seems to figure in my thinking.
    Thank you for your kind wishes ssicarman.
    'Flamenco Red' seems to enjoy hauling everyone with us as I still get that throaty 'growl' when we go hill climbing so I am happy that everyone is (Hopefully) enjoying the tour!

The weather has improved, while it does get a bit windy, so starts blowing the sand around, but at least the campsite has 4 walls we can stay inside!

Sadly I did not have enough Moroccan Dirhams to buy that Dromedary, but I am sure that some one will.

P.s. Stay away from Mirrors and get an electric razor they do wonders for your self esteem!

Overland to Morocco.
    Winter 2016-2017

Stage 10B – New Year’s Day in Guelmim Town

But firstly our last night of seeing the Moon on New Year’s Eve in 2016……

As we found the owner of this Desert Truck carrying out some maintenance on the vehicle that I found out travels 5Km on 1Ltr of Diesel! (That’s 14 UK Miles to 1 Imperial Gallon of Diesel)
    While in Sand in the Desert, that distance can drop to 2Km on 1Ltr! Or 5.5 Miles to 1 Imperial Gallon. No wonder the Truck has a BIG Fuel Tank!!!

Then we set off for Guelmim and after finding a suitable parking place we set off for a stroll around the town……

As we then saw this car being ‘prepared’ as a Wedding Car!......

Then we got into a road with more stalls selling almost everything……

As we then went through a doorway into an enclosed area which was the Meat Market……

With a couple of these small enclosed areas inside, while there were only doorways out into the surrounding area……

While just outside one of the doorways was another this time 1 day old Sheep with its mother!......

Then a bit further along we see this shop selling 100% Cows Milk! Well that’s what it says on the label, but not sure where the Dromedary fits in!……

Recycling at its best!
    Car & Truck Tyres turned into Rubber Buckets, and they last longer than the Plastic ones that we see in the Western World……

As this one said ‘Kumho’ on the bottom inside, then I know where I can bring the tyres currently on ‘Flamenco Red’ when they wear out, then for a small fee I can have 4 long lasting Rubber Buckets!……

These were the other ‘products’ for sale in the shop……

As we then pass this shop were getting through the doorway seems to present some difficulty with everything that is in there……

Building styles in a side street……

Back on the side road and more shops……

Then we get back to the main ‘Route National’ through the town……

An example of older restaurant furniture and what looks like a very large Tajine……

The very large BBQ with the chimney going up the wall was used for cooking fish, while the chimney takes the smell away!
    The Fishmongers was behind the BBQ while it was closed today……

The Town Centre Digital Clock, and the time was correct as well as the date……

The town’s main Mosque with a row of small shops around the outside including this Pharmacy……
    This was the first Mosque we have seen with businesses around the outside……

Paintings on the wall of a school……

Traffic Island that has a water fountain built in, except there is no water……

One of the Government Offices in the town, all of which are in excellent condition……

While it was then back to the campsite for the first Sunset of 2017……

Good night!

Overland to Morocco.
    Winter 2016-2017

Stage 10C – Guelmim & an afternoon walk

I ended up going with the campsite owner this morning back into Guelmim for a keyboard for his computer and while he went off for a few more items for his planned campsite improvements, I spent some time in a shop that makes the colourful ‘Fokeya’ garments worn by the Moroccan men. A few examples in the next picture……

While this is one of the men who produce them, using a Japanese Sewing Machine that actually pushes the thread up through the material while the man guides the material around to produce the design……

That when finished looks like this, which is now ready to be sown onto the ‘Fokeya’……

Then it was back to the campsite for a spot of lunch before my good lady and myself went for a walk around the area.

Each time we have seen this very old building which was once a family home, it has after being made from earth mixed with straw that sets very hard, ‘eroded’ even more.
    Although it was built a very long time ago and the lintels over the windows which were made from the trunk of a Palm tree are still in good condition heavy rain when it comes and the variation in temperatures between day and night affects the rock hard mix of earth & straw that the walls are made of……

While the majority of new buildings now are made from a rather porous cement style brick......

This wall of ‘brick’ was just being started last time we were here as the old wall that is made of soil and straw mixed with water and then built up and left to set is crumbling even though it is twice as wide……

As we continue along we don’t take long to reach the ‘Oasis’……

As we then find the large water pool that seems to have more in it this year……

As the water comes into the pool, it is then channelled out along man made concrete ducts to irrigate various fields via ‘manual gates’ in the channels that are opened and closed by man……

‘Mud Bricks’ it seems are still in use as we find these near the water channel that look like they were discarded after being made as they did not remain complete……

As the water from the pool makes its way through the Oasis……

While this very tall Palm Tree is loaded with Dates, which have not fallen off in the high wind we have today……

More new or under construction property that was not here on our last visit……

While this old style wall is still being maintained with its ‘Rainwater’ cover along the top consisting of palm fronds held in place with a layer of hard packed earth……

Time to head back to the campsite……

Good night!

Overland to Morocco.
    Winter 2016-2017

Stage 10D – Our last couple of days in Guelmim

Yesterday after breakfast we went off on our bikes for a ride along a few of the ‘tracks’ which I was rather concerned that we could end up getting punctures in the tyres because of either very sharp small stones or even worse are small spikes from cactus plants that have come off the plant, dried out and become very hard, but we got out and back with no problems……

The ‘silence’ when you get out in the wild parts is fantastic!......

As my good lady ‘shoots off’ on her Ebike as I take a picture and then have to ‘peddle like he--’ to catch up!……

As we passed this black shape we weren’t sure if it was the home of a Nomad or used for storage as we were between 2 Oasis at this point......

Onward we went while the headwind we were cycling against was quite strong……

This is one of the Cactus plants that when it dies it shrivels and breaks up leaving the thorns attached to small pieces of the plant that can cause havoc with bicycle tyres!……

If the ‘flesh’ of this type of Cactus is broken it ‘bleeds’ a liquid that looks a bit like ‘milk’ but I wasn’t about to find out what it tasted like!......

Interesting scenery with the ‘swirls’ in the hillside……

Time to turn around and head back as the headwind was not kind especially when going up some of the steeper tracks, but as we got back the lady whose this washing belonged to was making good use of the wind……

The following morning we then had a fly over by one of the Army Helcopters as there is a military base not far away from the campsite……

Then after breakfast it was off into Guelmim for a last look around and we managed to see a few of the ‘Support Vehicles’ for the ‘Africa Eco Rally’ that started in Monaco and finishes in Dakar ……

French Team Support Vehicle……

A smaller Assistance vehicle for the French Team……

Two Monaco Team Support Vehicles……

The sponsors advertising on the side of the vehicle for that team……

A ‘Docker’ Driver who wanted to be in the picture!!!......

Another French Team Assistance vehicle……

The Russian Team Assistance vehicle, which interestingly had no Sponsorship adverts anywhere on their vehicle, while we understand that they are currently leading the Car Entries in a British ‘Mini’!
    While the ‘Mini’ looks just like a ‘Mini’ from the pictures on Euronews, however the other cars from the other manufacturers look like they came from the other side of Mars, not a garage on this planet!......

While the ‘Press’ team get the comfort of this ‘Camper’ from Hungary.
    I just hope they have a few ‘Friends’ and an excellent rigid tow bar from when they get into the Sand Dunes!!......

Time to find a Boulangerie and get a ‘Hobs’ (Round Loaf of bread) and we then spot this place with all the ‘fuel for the ovens’ stacked up outside!....

The bread had just been made as it was still warm……

Nicely decorated entrance door……

As we then wandered into this large area which was mainly the Taxi Rank, while on the opposite side was the Bus Station for the long distance Coaches……

As we then saw the ‘Offerings’ on the walls of the offices of the various Coach Companies……

Or you could take a shorter journey in this ‘All Weather Docker’!......

As we then went into a restaurant for some lunch, I saw all these cables and was too embarrassed to ask if I could put my Mobile on charge just in case they gave me the wrong wire and it cut the power!......

Next stop tomorrow is Bouizakarne…

Good night!

Overland to Morocco.
    Winter 2016-2017

Stage 11 – Guelmim to Bouizakarne and then Amtoudi

Time to move on, and as we found out that a campsite that had closed down has opened up again in the small town of Bouizakarne, so we are making the short trip to go over there ……

As our last afternoon here in Tighmert/Guelmim became very cloudy I was hoping for a very nice Sunset, while this is what I got……

So then it was all packed up, campsite fees paid and our farewell’s made to Hassan & his family before we got on the road, then off we went......

As we then go around the outskirts of Guelmim to get to the N12 road and Bouizakarne……

It wasn’t very long before we got to the Eastern side city gates for Guelmim......

While after a right hand turn and a Police ‘Checkpoint’ we are on some nice new tarmac on the N12 with a lopsided ‘Hay Lorry’ coming towards us!……

As we come to a hold up as 2 Motorcycle Police appear to have stopped a Fuel Tanker possibly from a Radar Check on the road……

It’s interesting to find that as you enter a town or village the road surface significantly improves while it also gets considerable wider……

Then as you leave the town or village the road returns to its ‘new’2 lane width, while this part even has a broken white line down the middle, which disappeared a short while later as we think they ran out of paint! ……

New quarry……

We think this is a new prison as it was in the early stages of construction when we came through last year……

As we then get to the town sign for……

Just our luck to enter the place on Market Day, when there are cars, trucks, bikes and people all over the road!......

According to an organisation called ‘Camper Contact’ there are supposed to be 2 campsites in the town of Bouizakarne.
    As we get to the GPS Co-ordinates for the one that is supposed to be on our route there is no sign of the place, so after 45 minutes of trying to find it and asking various people if they can help and getting nowhere we give up and continue to our next planned stop at a campsite we do know exists in Amtoudi, while this is not the first time that information from this organisation has proven to be incorrect, when you advise them with a message, nothing happens to correct the error!

So, its back out into the countryside and continue on the N12……

Next left turn for us……

Even though there has been no rain for quite some time we still see this pool of water in the river bed……

As we then ‘climb out’ of the river bed……

While the scenery still looks like a ‘Sandy’ Mogul Field!......

We then enter a small village……

With not 1 but 2 Water Towers just outside……

While it’s difficult to see in the picture, the different colours in the hillside as we travelled along was quite nice to see……

Crossing the next river bed that looks like the road needs cleaning up!!......

Sheep and Goat ‘Crossing’ but no sign of whoever is with them……

The ‘Hotel’ in the middle of nowhere, but I guess the view of the heavens at night can be quite something!!!......

While this next river bed crossing has really been chewed up by the water flow!......

Then after a short distance we get to the campsite which was put under new management that the village initiated last year after the previous owner pulled out……

While the Agadir (Granary) on top of this hill has had some restoration work carried out, as the people who live in the area used to live and store their food up there in times of trouble……

Just found out that the Mobile Signal here is not good enough for Internet, so there will be no upload for this part until we move on to the next place……

Good night!

Overland to Morocco.
    Winter 2016-2017

Stage 12 – Amtoudi to Icht

Just after we arrived in Amtoudi I thought my good lady looked a little unwell, and asking her she told me I was correct but she hoped the feeling would pass, however it actually got worse during the course of the night, so with no internet access or even a decent mobile phone signal I decided to pack up and head to our next stop which was not far away, as I was certain that there was at least a Pharmacy in the village, so we packed up, paid the campsite fee and set off to Icht and the campsite Borj Biramane……

So this set of pictures are of the scenery as we went rolling along the road, while we were the only vehicle heading East for the 35 mile run……

While we have seen stones painted white and used to mark out a field that has been cultivated for vegetable growing we had no idea what the white line up this hill signified, unless someone had bought the top of the hill!......

When we got to the campsite, after getting the ‘TinTent’ in place I then went down to reception to register and use their Internet to get the translation of my good lady’s illness into Arabic as I was told that there was a good Pharmacy a short distance away.

Off we then went to the Pharmacy and after advising the Pharmacist of the illness from the Arabic translation I got, which he understood from the gestures he made back to us, he offers us a course of antibiotics to cure the ‘problem’ that we accepted, the cost was 34MAD (£2.71, US$3.35)…..

Now I am ‘Fingers Crossed’ for her to get better……

While this was our ‘Sunset’ this evening as this little mountain is over the campsite wall behind the ‘TinTent’……

Good night!

Overland to Morocco.
    Winter 2016-2017

Stage 12A – Icht & Borj Biramane

After a reasonable night for my good lady she decided to stay on the campsite while I went for a walk around and also to get some pictures from the area close by. So here goes……

This is the view as you turn off the main road and head towards the Hotel/Campsite/Restaurant……

As you travel along the ‘piste track’ which is marked by clusters of stones painted white you go down a small dip in the track to go across the river bed which thankfully at this time of year is dry......

As you then get to the gates of the place……

Park up inside and go down to Reception to register……

The restaurant extension which was being decorated for a birthday celebration for one of the partners……

With some pictures from around the rest of the Hotel/Camping/Restaurant complex……

One large Camper & Trailer on the right in the next picture……

I then went out through the gates as the complex is completely walled in with iron grates covering the holes at various places along the perimeter wall to allow any rainwater to run out, with the view of the hill that is directly in front……

While on the right hand side of that hill are these two ridges of sand……

With the views in other directions……

While from the main road, this is the view of the hill that is directly behind the complex……

As you get closer to see the swirls in the rocks on the right hand side of the hill……

While this is the view looking down the left hand side of the complex……

Careful were you step, and make sure you wear footwear with good solid soles as you might just step on a tree branch like this!......

This was looking up from the bottom of a water channel at the side of the complex……

Then I got to the back of the complex and could hear all the Bull Frogs sounding off in this river and very nice view!…..

Got one!......

And another!……

And there are more, in fact there must be hundreds in this short stretch of the river, as the water is still flowing albeit slowly……

While I spot a Tadpole, that looked like it was starting the change to a Frog……

It was fascinating to stand there, be very quiet and listen to the sounds of the Frogs as I did see a couple of them chasing each other across the weed bed before after about 5 feet of this they gave up and just settled back into the water……

An interesting time at the Bull Frog area!…..

Good night!

I have been around sloughs and mud holes on and off for years and have always heard the toady frogs but never caught a good look at them. Here you are in the desert and boom. Full visual with pictures of toady frogs.

Hope that the drugs are making your better half better.