Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ipod adaptor as sat. radio input?

Does anyone know if the Volvo ipod adaptor can also
    be used as a satellite radio input? That is, can you
    plug a sat. radio output wire into the ipod adaptor
    input port?

Default Ipod Adapter

Phrog

Not sure.... it does seem to me that the directions that come with the adapter talked about a cable you didn't need, if you already had the "sat prep" installed. Here is the front cover from the directions....

marco

Quote Originally Posted by Phrog
    Does anyone know if the Volvo ipod adaptor can also
    be used as a satellite radio input? That is, can you
    plug a sat. radio output wire into the ipod adaptor
    input port?
    XC70 MY2005 US AshGold/Taupe/Prem/Climate
    Seoul, Korea

I don't believe the Volvo adaptor has any inputs other than the one for the iPod. I think the aftermarket units, like the one made by USA-Spec, are the only ones with external inputs. The Volvo adaptor is the only one you can use if you have factory nav or satellite, otherwise I think the aftermarket units work better (and do more).

Default ipod adaptor

If I understand the various posts correctly, the Volvo ipod adaptor
    allows you to continue to use the in-dash CD, while the "USA spec"
    adaptor does not. Can anyone confirm or deny?

The USA-Spec adaptor (and the Volvo adaptor) take the place, in the HU's menu, of the 10-disk changer that mounts in the back of the car. So neither unit will work with the optional changer. The in-dash cd works fine with the USA-Spec. There is no Melbus pass-through on the USA-Spec so you can't connect it and the nav system or the factory Sirrius satellite receiver. On the other hand if you use it in the direct mode your iPod controlls still work unlike with the Volvo adaptor.

I use a USAspec ipod adapter for a Sirius line in input. It works fine. However, on my particular set up, it goofs up the 613's CD fast forward and skip controls. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Just keep pushing the buttons. I know it's the adapter, because if I disconnect it, the buttons work.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

Default Gibbons has the answer!

I've been thinking of buying the USA-Spec iPod adapter for my 2002 V70XC to provide a line-in for my Sirius satellite radio.

I've got the Sportster and it has a mini-jack line-out on the back. I was thinking of plugging this line-out into the RCA-in jacks on the USA-Spec ipod adapter.

One thing I will have to try is whether this will work with my ipod also...I guess I'll hook both up and see what happens.

Given what Gibbons has said, it sounds as though this will work. Yahoo!!

Below is a close-up of the USA-Spec iPod adapter...

Default Ipod adaptor

I installed the USA-spec adaptor and use it both with an ipod and
    with my XM satellite receiver. Sound quality is excellent.

2001 XC

Default Great news on the iPod and Sat

I planned on hooking both up and was wondering how it would work out. You've answered my question. The parts came from Crutchfield on Friday, can't wait to get home from skiing so I can install!!

Thanks again

Default Yet another success...

I put my big boy pants on and started pulling my car apart to install the USA-Spec Ipod adapter, and really couldn't have done it without all the help from this forum and Sweedspeed. Removing the CCM was as tough as described, but it did come out with the use of my Bojo tool on the passenger side prying and my left hand tilting out the bottom and pulling out at the same time.

I was doing this for Sirius primarily and will be adding an Ipod, but made one mistake. I decided to put the antenna at the rear and ran the wire back to the front by tucking in between the headliner and the side molding. I decided I didn't need to have the antenna a full six inches from the gap between the rear hatch and the roof, as with the hatch closed the location was about right measuring from the edge of the car. I went with about two inches from the gap, so that when closed, the total distance to the edge of the car was about 6". I was trying to avoid having the antenna blocked by my ww kayak or my rocket box which are up there on road trips quite often.

Well, I found out over this holiday weekend that when the hatch is open, it reduces reception greatly. Its nice to be able to have the hatch open and the Sirius on, especially when car camping. So, perhaps I should have kept the 6" distance from the edge of the gap described above. The Sirius works when the hatch is open, but if reception is already reduced from dense cover of trees, the hatch being open will kill it.

Other than that, all was smooth. I even powered the Sirius behind the dash by using one of those piggy-back fuse box adapters and an aux 12-volt cig lighter which I've hidden up under the dash. Wires for the audio out, antenna, and power are few up through the edge of the center vent cover and the dash. Oh yeah, taking out that center vent cover without breaking anything was as hard as taking out the CCM, seriously.

Lastly, I had the same problem that Gibbons described above, right before I found that I wasn't getting a good ground to the Sirius receiver. When I first installed, and played a single CD, the track up and down buttons on the wheel acted like they didn't want to work and I had to push several times to get any action. Later that day the Sirius wouldn't work at all and I traced a ground problem. After getting a good ground, everything magically worked properly. Track up and down buttons on the wheel work at all times now just as before the install.

Thanks to all for the posts and help, and I hope I end up helping someone with the recount of my experience.

--JC
    2001 V70xc, Ashgold/
    Sand, Premium Pkg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast