Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Front end alignment tips....

Hi all.

I'm curious if there are any issues I should know about when getting a front end alignment on my '02 v70xc?

Some backstory. I spent last weekend replacing the right side CV shaft assembly, control arms, ball joints, inner/outer tie rods and a cheap pair of quick struts up front. Prior to that I had done sway bar end links, subframe bushing inserts and the subframe-trasnmission mount piece. All of this was front end/suspension rehab.

Asside from the budget quick-struts; I bought quality parts from IPD. i.e. LCA, tie rods etc. Installation went in just fine with no suprises.

However when I got the front end aligned at a local Firestone shop; the tech told me he was not able to get the optimal alignment settings per his front end machine. He said he was unable to get as much adjustment from the outer tie rods as he expected. He even suggest I may have gotten the wrong parts. The tech got the alignment pretty good but said it could be better if there was more adjustment.

I was a bit confused as I really didn't think I ordered the wrong parts or even submodel parts. So I called and spoke with IPD. IPD confirmed I had ordered the CORRECT parts.

1. Do Volvo cars need special alignment shop?
    2. What subframe issues, problems can affect front ends and alingment issues.

I'm thinking I need to get under the car and just do a once over to make sure all is good. Also thinking a second opionion front end alignment is needed also.

What do you think and suggest?

I appreciate any tips and help.

Thank you.
    Last edited by antwerx; 01-19-2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: spelling

What were your alignment results? The only thing that is really adjustable is the toe where you want 0.2° toe-in.

Quote Originally Posted by sjonnie View Post
    What were your alignment results? The only thing that is really adjustable is the toe where you want 0.2° toe-in.
    Hi.

Left front 0.39

Right front 0.14

Thank you.

Front Camber -.3 +/- .9
    Rear Camber (not adjustable) +.3 +/- 1.0
    Castor Angle (not adjustable) +5 +/- 1.0
    Castor Angle side to side symetry (not adjustable) +/- .25
    Front Toe-In +.2 +/- .1
    Rear Toe-In +.2 +/- .2
    Thrust Angle center line deviation 0 +/- .25 So those numbers you posted are camber not toe?

On all my P2s and as far as those settings that are adjustable, I've run 0 toe on both ends and on the front as much negative camber as the slop in the stock bolts will allow, usually just shy of 1 degree negative. I get good stick and decent tire wear and on the R nearly no side hop.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
    On all my P2s and as far as those settings that are adjustable, I've run 0 toe on both ends and on the front as much negative camber as the slop in the stock bolts will allow, usually just shy of 1 degree negative. I get good stick and decent tire wear and on the R nearly no side hop.

Cheers,

Bill
    While spec apparently allows for up to 0.6° positive camber, which might be OK if only consideration is tire wear, I've found the steering feel is definitely better with negative camber.

When mine was first aligned after control arm replacement camber was set slightly positive, and steering felt extremely light with little feel and less than adequate self-centering, so I took it back and ask them to make the camber negative. I'd suggest that OP ask them to try for close to -0.5°.
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,
    TitaniumTim XC Cup-holder Coasters.

Are you sure you didn't get tie rod ends for S60/V70? XC70 has a wider front track, +10 mm to what V70 has.

Also not sure, but SMI and ZF steering racks may require different tie rods et al.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    Are you sure you didn't get tie rod ends for S60/V70? XC70 has a wider front track, +10 mm to what V70 has.

Also not sure, but SMI and ZF steering racks may require different tie rods et al.
    Back in the day, they use to note the differences and stock XC AND V70/S60 outers. Over the last few years, it seems one size fits all. My first XC had an SMI rack and I can't recall ever seeing any SMI/ZF difference noted and I never had a problem using whatever outers on that car. In fact, the only problem I have ever had with outers is on my P2 R where the ones available now seem to be a wee bit too long so that I only have 2-3 threads clear when the car is set to 0 toe.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

I had problems with the tie rod ends on 02 V70: what I've got was longer than needed, so I had to saw off about 10 mm of tie rods. Though the V70's front track is 10 mm narrower.

Dang, my odo is so close to 400k km... (244k mi) This thing rejects to die!
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Thank you for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMick View Post
    Front Camber -.3 +/- .9
    Rear Camber (not adjustable) +.3 +/- 1.0
    Castor Angle (not adjustable) +5 +/- 1.0
    Castor Angle side to side symetry (not adjustable) +/- .25
    Front Toe-In +.2 +/- .1
    Rear Toe-In +.2 +/- .2
    Thrust Angle center line deviation 0 +/- .25 So those numbers you posted are camber not toe?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast