Default Trouble Info Panel

The trouble info panel on my 2006 xc 70 said I have a bulb out on a position light. What is a position light?

The position bulbs are the 4 "parking" lights in the rear of the car. Two 5 watt bulbs in each tail lamp illuminating a red lens. (not the brake, turn signal or reverse bulbs) Your car probably uses 3 #67 and 1 #1157 bulbs for the rear position light bulbs. The 1157 is a dual filament bulb with the bright filament used as the rear fog lamp. The bulb out system usually does not care about the front parking lights (on your car, it does on some 2008+ cars) and works by comparing the current used by left bulbs versus the right bulbs.

The position lights are the top small bulbs in the lower section of the tail lights (just went out and checked) . Mine are labelled R5W. I've replaced three of them in 10 years in response to the 'position light' message.

Reminds me, I'm out of stock on those and need to go buy two more.

Default Position lights

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    the position bulbs are the 4 "parking" lights in the rear of the car. Two 5 watt bulbs in each tail lamp illuminating a red lens. (not the brake, turn signal or reverse bulbs) your car probably uses 3 #67 and 1 #1157 bulbs for the rear position light bulbs. The 1157 is a dual filament bulb with the bright filament used as the rear fog lamp. The bulb out system usually does not care about the front parking lights (on your car, it does on some 2008+ cars) and works by comparing the current used by left bulbs versus the right bulbs.
    thanks for the info, light was off this morning. I'll go check bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepman6 View Post
    light was off this morning.
    Sometimes if a bulb is out on both sides the bulb out message will stay off

Quite often the filament in the bulb will break and make intermittent contact until it finally quits working permanently.