Thread: tema4x4 lift

Default tema4x4 lift

Hi guys long time owner and lurker.

I have been looking at lifting my 2004 and 2005 xc70s and I have come to the conclusion that the best option is a coil-over setup + spacers at the top of the Strut mount.
    (coil-overs will allow wider and taller tires than stock struts. (obviously in the rear i'm going to have to look at trimming the wheel well)

I am also considering using sub frame spacers. (with the hope that the spacers would limit the amount of camber / alignment issues i might run into)

I have found a few coil over setups that are supposed to fit and would like your feedback.

some of my inspiration is from this page, however 4+ inches is a little much. if I have coilover and 1 inch spacers Ill have able to achieve the look im going for.. at least on my main car.

https://www.drive2.ru/l/469281734291095736/

I like the look of those strut spacers, I would be interested in those myself, but that body lift looks sketchy AF. I've seen subframe spacers done, but they were only about .5". I would not be comfortable with anything higher than that, I'm no engineer, but I'm guessing that puts a much higher sheer load on those subframe mount bolts.

Update this when you figure out what you want to do, I'm curious as I want to lift mine a little.
    Silver '07 Adventure Series

I have installed the bad Swede lift kit on my 03. I had no alignment issues other than adding camber bolts to the front. I was able to get a full 2". I think anything beyond that is going to require re-engineering the whole vehicle to be safe and functional. The vehicle photos in The link look sketchy at best. You will give up handling and ride comfort. The only pitfall to the bad Swede kit is a bit stiffer ride. Any modification will effect other aspects of drivability and reliability.
    Last edited by derby; 09-06-2018 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    I have installed the bad Swede lift kit on my 03. I had no alignment issues other than adding camber bolts to the front. I was able to get a full 2". I think anything beyond that is going to require re-engineering the whole vehicle to be safe and functional. The vehicle photos in The link look sketchy at best. You will give up handling and ride comfort. The only pitfall to the bad Swede kit is a bit stiffer ride.
    How did the lift effect the cv axle angles? I want to do the lift, but am concerned that that extra height may put extra stress on the axles. I'm at 214k miles with original cv's all the way around, so I'm hesitant to mess with things too much.

How was the install, btw? Did you do it yourself? I had a helluva time getting the struts back together with the stock coils, I can't imagine wrestling with the taller ones!
    Silver '07 Adventure Series

My 03 had 187k, I was not worried about the angles. It will weaken your cv joint for sure as it puts the stress on the ends of the joint instead of the middle. to be honest anyone looking to modify their car like this shouldn't expect it to last as long as it was designed for. If you want a daily driver with normal issues leave it as is. If you push the limits of the engineering you will replace those parts at an accelerated rate. The 03 was not my daily driver, more of a novelty/toy. I was not that worried about it breaking.
    I did 99% of the work my self. With some proper strut compressor placement it was as easy as any other spring. I don't know if they are taller as opposed to thicker, I really didn't compare heighth. It looked good. I added an ipd stainless exhaust, some air tube work, ipd high flow filter. Had a nice sound and stance. The one size larger tires ate up any gained hp though. Then you have to worry about that weak link transmission and in-accurate speedometer and suffering mpg.

So to sum it up, proceed at your own risk. Your car will never be the same.
    I have a saying " never run the tow rig"