Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stuck on the side of the road

Early this am about 2am got in my 02 v70xc drove thirty feet turned right onto a street and bang a load noise began coming from left front wheel. Worse when I try to back up
    Metal grinding or tubing sound. Rubber smell from inboard six of wheel. Nothing visible unde car. But it felt as though something broke (glade I wasn't on the highway!
    I am parked waiting for a tow. Does anyone have any idea what could have happened
    I have recent new brake pads
    I drove very slowly two blocks so I could be reached by a tow from the front
    And it is now four am pouring rain. It I am so glad this did not happen later today when I would have been on the expressway.
    Any help appreciated thanks

Quick thought, check your large coil spring on your left front wheel suspension to see if it's broken. Unfortunately, known failure item. I've replaced 3 broken springs so far.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

I'll second a broken spring...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Yep. More than likely a broken front spring.

Good Luck,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Hi just got in will be awhile before my mechanic has time to assess my car. I would guess that since I still had accurate steering that a spring maybe the problem.
    Will update with the mechanics report.
    Thanks everyone

If that happened at highway speed could I loose control of car.

I should have write. In my comment that I have no idea what it feels like to have a spring. Dean. NAND that your suggestions may be the situation. I felt that the upper and lower tortion arms must still be attached the wheel is still straight and steerable though with rubbing sound metallic
    However the car is leaning several inches Down on the left side
    I hope that the tire is ok I could smell burning rubber smell
    My mechanic said that if it is a spring will need to replace both sides not sure where to source these Volvo parts quickly. Will know the situation in four hours.
    Later
    Thanks

Sorry about my spelling
    Am writing this on an iPhone
    Sometimes it fills in words that I don't intend to enter
    I should have written that I do not have any idea what it feels like to ha a spring break. Never had that happen
    But it was pretty scary. I am very attached to my car and hearing all that grinding sound got my mind racing on what had I hit or run over or whether this problem would be fatal .. too expensive to repair etc

Quote Originally Posted by pauldunlop22 View Post
    I should have write. In my comment that I have no idea what it feels like to have a spring. Dean. NAND that your suggestions may be the situation. I felt that the upper and lower tortion arms must still be attached the wheel is still straight and steerable though with rubbing sound metallic
    However the car is leaning several inches Down on the left side
    I hope that the tire is ok I could smell burning rubber smell
    My mechanic said that if it is a spring will need to replace both sides not sure where to source these Volvo parts quickly. Will know the situation in four hours.
    Later
    Thanks
    I have no idea what you mean by "upper and lower tortion arms"...and think you need to take a good look at this front suspension once your mechanic has worked on it...or take a look at some "How to" guides on replacing the front struts. It's got struts in front...one lower control arm. That's it, except for steering link. But that spring (that probably broke and caused the wheel to hit the fender liner) is on the strut, and if it breaks, the lower control arm (along with the steering knuckle and tire) get a lot closer to the top of the strut...

Anyway, it'll make more sense when you look at it. Classic strut suspension. Spring failure is common on this car (though many of us have never had one) and would cause everything that you describe.

It does surprise me that you didn't feel anything, or notice how that corner of the car was lower...so, maybe it isn't the spring?
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Quote Originally Posted by pauldunlop22 View Post
    Later
    Thanks
    Autopartsway.ca which is in the GTA somewhere (Mississauga ?) has Lesjofors (OEM supplier) springs from about $100 to $120 CDN a piece depending on which ones your chassis needs. Might take overnight to get them to your guy but I would think no longer as I've gotten stuff from them in just 2 days over this way.

Good Luck,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast