Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2002 Volvo V70XC - Right rear brake light

The right rear brake light stopped working today. I switched the bulb from the left to the right and the left still works, right will not work.

I found this post about a recall in regards to a faulty relay
    http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...ht=brake+light

I checked my relay, and I only have one.

I am not sure this recall applies to my car? If so, any way to get the correct part numbers for the two relays?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

sorry if this posted twice, not sure what happened the first time.

I'm not sure the relay is your problem. I think that killed both brake lights at the same time. I know on my '01, that if a rear light went out I could usually get it to work by banging on the assembly from the outside, but I'm going to assume you tried that already.

I would suggest pulling the assembly out and looking at the contacts for the bulb. When I had a similar problem, I discovered that there must have been some kind of a short or something back there because all of the plastic surrounding one of the light sockets was melted, and it was causing problems with the new bulb making a solid connection. I had to file away some of the melted plastic and re-glue the metal ring back on, but it worked just fine afterwards.

I will give that a try. Like you said, I would think the relay would knock both out.

I did order the relays anyway, should be here tuesday.

I am getting the warning dash light when I step on the brake. Did you get it when your light did not work?
    Last edited by JonV; 01-10-2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: typo

Your relay is not bad. You could easily check it with a multimeter and 12 volts DC.

You likely have a defective tail lamp assembly. I've had to replace both left and right. They degrade internally from corrosion and other crap and start blowing bulbs or just not passing current. I think I paid around $125 each from Autopartswharehouse.

That dash warning light means that the electrical signal is not returning to the ECU.

I took the brake light assembly out and found a small crack in the plastic where the metal band attaches that hold the bulb in. Glue is drying now, I will past back if this is the fix.

Cool. It may work. I changed my plugs the other day. While removing the coil packs I ripped apart two dust boots. Glued them back together with RTV, back on the road.

well the crack in the plastic was not the problem. I re-assembled and still had issues.

So I to it back apart and used a small wire brush to clean all the metal contacts where the bulbs attach and applied a small amount of dielectric grease on the contacts.

That seems to have done the trick.

Did you know that dielectric grease is intended to block electron flow? If I were you I'd open up the hole again and use a solvent spray to clear away that dielectric grease, and then spray it all down with WD-40. That will protect the contacts for a good while.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Did you know that dielectric grease is intended to block electron flow? If I were you I'd open up the hole again and use a solvent spray to clear away that dielectric grease, and then spray it all down with WD-40. That will protect the contacts for a good while.
    I was not aware. Thank You !

I will take it back apart today and give it a good cleaning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast