Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 01 V70XC Coolant leak

Hi guys,

New here. Looks like the forum is a great resource. Hoping you can help me out.

We have a 2001 Volvo XC70 and it has a coolant leak. Mechanic thought it was the top radiator hose and replaced it however it still trickles down beneath the top radiator hose, or the leak is above the radiator hose and we cant see it. Do i need to replace the whole radiator? Can they plastic repair where its leaking? How cheap can i get a radiator for?

Thanks,

Michael

Yes, you must replace it
    No, you cannot "repair" it
    This is common, Volvo radiators start to leak at about 100K, plus or minus
    25K miles and where yours is leaking is the most common place.

None are cheap
    If you must go aftermarket a NISSENS brand seems to be the better of the aftermarkets and costs in the mid 200 range
    A Volvo radiator costs in the $400 range.

No, the aftermarket is not any better, they all seem to start to leak around these miles.

If your mechanic does a pressure test (highly recommended) you can pinpoint the leak to make 100% sure that it IS the radiator

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Yes, you must replace it
    No, you cannot "repair" it
    This is common, Volvo radiators start to leak at about 100K, plus or minus
    25K miles and where yours is leaking is the most common place.

None are cheap
    If you must go aftermarket a NISSENS brand seems to be the better of the aftermarkets and costs in the mid 200 range
    A Volvo radiator costs in the $400 range.

No, the aftermarket is not any better, they all seem to start to leak around these miles.

If your mechanic does a pressure test (highly recommended) you can pinpoint the leak to make 100% sure that it IS the radiator
    thanks for the quick reply.
    Looks like its back to the mechanic i go then.

where can i buy one of the cheaper radiators that you mention?

Having replaced the radiator twice on my 01XC, let me offer you this first. If it appears to be coming from the top of the radiator at the overflow hose connection, it could just be the clamp. The first time I replaced the radiator, I tried to reuse the existing clamp and it leaked. I only offer this because it's about 10 minutes and 98 cents to check this.

My first replacement radiator was a new one that I ordered from eEuroparts.com for about $200. It only lasted 2 years. The next one I got was from erievovo.com. It was used, but about $110 and I believe it came with a lifetime warranty. Was very happy with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tags View Post
    where can i buy one of the cheaper radiators that you mention?
    www.fcpgroton.com
    But be careful, ask for a Nissens.
    They sell cheap parts too, as cheap as you want to pay, and those parts are crap
    and don't buy a used radiator, that's not a very good idea.
    Big deal, it's guaranteed!
    You don't know it's condition or its mileage and it could fail in 4-6 months
    You don't want to install another one that quickly

I'm not advocating new vs. used. Just offering my experience. I bought a new Nissens radiator and it only lasted 2 years, so buying new is no guarantee either. I've had good luck with used parts in the past, and for something like the radiator that takes no more than 2 hours to do, so long as the next part is free, the possibility of having to do it again doesn't frighten me.

Default How much should radiator replacement cost from dealer?

So I see the Nissens cost $289 from fcpgroton.com; what about the rest of the parts:
    - Thermostat
    - Coolant
    - 2 snaplocks for transmission cooler hoses
    - 4 o-rings for transmission cooler hoses

I am trying to figure out what is a fair price to have it installed from a dealer and have received quotes between $795 (volvo parts) to $1100 (dealer with Volvo parts) in terms of how long it should take and an appropriate charge for labor.

Quote Originally Posted by jobosf View Post
    I am trying to figure out what is a fair price to have it installed from a dealer
    Oxymoron

That price sounds about right. I would figure the dealer book rate says a radiator replacement is in the neighborhood of about 4 hours, especially if you include changing the thermostat.

The premium on the dealer parts plus the dealer labor rate was a deal breaker for me. Did it myself and saved about $600 or more.

Just had this done at a dealer for $810 on an '02 XC. Don't think they replaced the thermostat, though. They were actually willing to negotiate their price to match my indy guy (using Volvo parts). I happened to be at the dealer so I had the work done there. Since my car is an '02, there's plenty of work to go around for all .

I have found that dealers often advertise '15%' off service specials online, so be sure to check for that. The discount I received in this case was in the 20% range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast