Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Oil Rant

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightt
    I guess the 10-30Q M1 probably wasn't too bad when I was cranking it up and it was already 90F outside...I hope.
    Likely will be fine. Unless your cooling system is in horrible condition and your engine runs hotter then normal.

The reason why they recommend a heavier (when hot) weight oil for warmer temperatures (or extreme service) is that the engine can end up running hotter then it's ideal temperature. Thus a thinner oil that is normally ok, will end up being too thin at the elevated temperature to provided sufficient protection.

Quote Originally Posted by ecbsykes View Post
    I would ditch the additive and use a good oil like M1 High Mileage. Those blends have more anti-wear additives than most other oils. You don't nessecarily need to use a heavier oil weight the more miles you have. It really just boils down to the condition of your engine. An engine that has been well cared-for may have 300,000 and not leak or burn oil that is 5W-30. On the other side, an abused engine with 75,000 may burn a quart of 10W-40 every thousand miles if it's had the crap beaten out of it.
    I can attest to that... My PO always used synthetic since the day he bought my V70 XC and when I checked the PTC nipple expecting to see crud, I was surprised to see it's very clean. I took a look at the camshaft thru the oil cap and it's also very clean, not a lot of buildup.

Engine is running great by the words of the few mechanics (including a Volvo one) and they told me it could go to 400,000 km and beyond if well cared. It doesn't even burn oil at all. That's why I was interested to know what oil I should put in my car and I bought 7 quarts of GC during a sale.

2000 Silver V70 XC SE - 153,000 miles and counting...
    Mostly stock - IPD HD TCV - IPD HD coils

Great thread!

I'm seeing that Castrol Edge is a preferred oil. However, I didn't see Syntec on here for a recommended oil. My dealer uses Castrol products; GTX for standard oil, Syntec for an upgrade, and EDGE for a premium upgrade (and price). Would it be better to switch to EDGE over Syntec?

Edit: I checked Castrol's site. Looks like Syntec is now EDGE with Syntec Technology. Looks like I'll be using that from now on.
    Last edited by Sweet Lew; 10-20-2011 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Lew View Post
    Great thread!

I'm seeing that Castrol Edge is a preferred oil. However, I didn't see Syntec on here for a recommended oil. My dealer uses Castrol products; GTX for standard oil, Syntec for an upgrade, and EDGE for a premium upgrade (and price). Would it be better to switch to EDGE over Syntec?

Edit: I checked Castrol's site. Looks like Syntec is now EDGE with Syntec Technology. Looks like I'll be using that from now on.
    To clarify something, the 0W30 Syntec is the German Castrol praised by lots of people if you check the back of the bottle to find the "Made in Germany". This one is as good or better than the Edge. I also heard that those GC has been rebadged to Edge with Syntec technology, with a premium.

2000 Silver V70 XC SE - 153,000 miles and counting...
    Mostly stock - IPD HD TCV - IPD HD coils

Any preference for Castrol tends to be for the (made in Germany) Syntec 0W-30 grade...not that there's anything wrong with using the other Castrol lines and grades. It has a unique formulation compared with the other grades. For the bottles I've recently seen on the store shelves, the labels still say "Syntec" and don't yet reflect the rebranding to "Edge with Syntec".
    I've used the 0W-30 for the past three years in my XC.

Was researching ACEA A5/B5 and found that Motul makes a few lines that meet this standard. I use Motul brake fluid in my track car so I am familiar with the brand but know nothing about their oils. It is expensive though at $10+ per liter/1.06 qt.

Motul website

Motul has a good reputation...but I don't see any reason to pay that price when I can get Mobil 0W40 (or another ACEA A3/B3) for about $5/qt on sale...

I would be happy with any of the Pennzoil synthetics, Castrol, Mobil, Amsoil, LiquiMoly, all of them, really...but as long as it meets specs...I go with what I can get cheaply...

I've recently picked up several qts of Castrol Edge (their best synthetic) for $2.98/qt...that's why it's in the Corolla and it will go into the 4 Runner...

I would try (not required, but I recommend it...) to stay within the same company as you change oil...that way, you avoid any potential conflicts in additive chemistry. I know, I know, part of the SM and SN requirements is that the chemistry is compatible...but if I stick with a single company's products, I know it will be compatible...

Edit: as a point of reference:

Mobil 1 0W-40 meets or exceeds the requirements of:
    API SN/SM/SL/SJ
    ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4

Mobil 1 0W-40 is of the following builders approval:
    MB-Approval 229.3
    MB-Approval 229.5
    OPEL Long Life Service Fill GM-LL-A-025
    OPEL Diesel Service Fill GM-LL-B-025
    BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01
    VW 502 00
    VW 505 00
    PORSCHE A40
    Chrysler MS-10725
    Chrysler MS-10850

One of the best products out there...why pay twice as much?
    Last edited by Astro14; 11-10-2011 at 05:11 PM.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (130K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (58K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (147K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (247K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (300K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (230K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Amen. You're preaching to the choir. Just adding Motul to the list of A5/B5 compliant oils.

I am strongly considering Rotella T6 5w/40 at the next oil change but Mobil one is definitely on the list.

I am strongly considering Rotella T6 5w/40 at the next oil change but Mobil one is definitely on the list.
    I used Rotella 5w40 for years. I stopped due to the high zddp content. Cats are sensitive, and expensive. Astro touched on this above. The new Penzoil Ultra Platinum has sparked my curiosity as a high detergent oil. Winter is coming though, so the next OC will be M1 0w40.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345