Default XC60 Towing questions

Our XC60 is now 17 months old and we're very pleased with it. One of the reasons we decided to buy an XC60 is that I intend(ed) to tow a travel trailer.

In the UK, the XC60 won 'What car' 'Tow car of the year' last year - which suggests that it should be a fairly capable towing vehicle.

In Europe, the XC60 (3 litre gasoline engine, 6-speed geartronic box) can tow up to 2000kg (4400lb)

In the US, it can tow 1500Kg (3300 lb.)

Why the difference?

But - and this is where it gets confusing - I've been told that for safety reasons, the tongue weight of the trailer should be within the range 10-14% of the weight of the trailer.

The maximum tongue weight for an XC60 (according to the manual) is 165lb.

If that's the case and if 165lb is between 10 and 14% of the weight of the trailer, then surely the maximum (safe) towing weight is in the range 1178 - 1650lb?

A long way short of the 3300lb quoted in the manual.

Does anybody know what the real figures are?
    Last edited by Manuel_de_Vol; 07-26-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: typo

For double axle trailers with load equalization (the leaf springs have a pivoting connector between them that will keep the weight equal on both axles) the tongue weight is 5% by RV industry recommendations.
    Trailers in Europe have the hydraulic surge brake system by law over some low weight. Surge brakes are far superior to electric activated drum brakes found on smaller trailers. AS a result of the surge brake system effectively taking braking for almost the whole weight of trailer the tow rating is larger.

The only trailers I see in US with surge brakes are imported (Brenderup and Rice horse trailers), some U-Haul trailers, and some boat trailers.
    I'm sure there are others but they are rare.

Thanks for the reply, Cattlecar.

I have a sailboat (a precision P18) on a trailer fitted with surge brakes in storage in Mississippi. - I wasn't aware that surge brakes were to rare in the US.

I've tried to contact Volvo about towing (talkimg to brick walls???) I haven't given up yet.

In the US, it seems that there are few lightweight travel trailers fitted with close-coupled axles. Those that I have been able to find (and they're all too heavy for the US Spec XC60) have tongue weights well in excess of the Volvo limit.

It's somewhat ironic (IMO) that a Volvo car which manages to win a prestigious award for its capacity as a towing vehicle in Europe can't tow more than a lightweight garden trash trailer in the US.

I've towed a range of trailers in Europe. Most had surge brakes. Ordinarily, I set the tongue load to 'something I could pick up fairly easily'- that seemed to work. I usually used an anti-sway, anti-pitch device [which makes towing far easier.]

Why is the 'safe' tongue load for a single-axle trailer in the US deemed to be 10-14% of the trailer weight?

A single axle acts a fulcrum to allow weight to "see-saw" on the one axle. If more weight is forward of the single axle the fore-aft pitching is reduced.
    Double axle arrangement suppresses the fore-aft transfer greatly.

I guess Cliver must have a plain trailer he likes a lot?

Volvo XC 60:

'Towing car of the Year' - Europe.

'Not suitable for towing lightweight (Trailmanor) camping trailers - US.

They look good. - And if this one behaves like 4 of its 5 predecessors, it will be reliable.

A sheep in wolf's clothing.

Will I buy another Volvo?

Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by cattlecar View Post

The only trailers I see in US with surge brakes are imported (Brenderup and Rice horse trailers), some U-Haul trailers, and some boat trailers.
    I'm sure there are others but they are rare.
    Sailboat trailers often use surge brakes up to heavy loads in the 8-10 thousand pound range. I would much rather have electrics, the are so much safer.

Hmmm... The trailer I wish to tow is about 1840#, but shows that the tongue weight is 300#. It has electric trailer brakes. We tow it now with our Toyota Sienna minivan.... the max tongue weight of the XC60 is 90Kg which is about 165#... 102# less than what I need . Looks like I need to go back to looking at 4Runners, unless I can come up with some clarification.

Car & Driver post 3500/350 for max weight/tongue weight for XC60, my guess they are just using US standards and didn't peek at the xc60 us owners manual. My opinion is that no one from Volvo engineering looked at this, or the towing capacity should be reduced/eliminated to 1620/162 pounds classI hitches only. Lots of trailer hitches are advertising 4000/400 max weights which is great, but exceed the Volvo specification. That's fine, but users must adhere to the owners manual for insurance reasons...
    I was swooning for an XC60 R design, but may be stuck with something else .