Thread: Engine revving

Default Engine revving

Hi,

two questions about our XC70s:

My T6 - and I am assuming every T6 to say the least- revs it's engine for about 5-10 seconds when starting. I recall reading in the Volvo XC70 Operator's manual that this is allow the catalytic converter to reach it's optimal temperature quickly so that it functions well and is less polluting. If however you shift the car out of park, it will rev down immediately.

To compare to a 2011 (non-turbo) Mercedes E350- which is a newer car design that the Volvo, it does not do that at all. I also do not recall other cars doing this as well. Does anyone know what all this is about? If the revving of the engine is supposed to get the catalytic converter working optimally, why don't other car manufacturer's do this? To me, it seems more wasteful as the engine is using more fuel when it revs in idle. What potential pollution reduction do you get if your car is actually having to burn more fuel?

2. The light cluster knob to switch on the front (and rear lights) is non-functional in our Canadian cars. Am I correct that the Volvo XC70 has it's low beam lights on ALL the time (no reduced intensity for Daytime Running Lights) as well as the rear? Again, other than being blinding during the daytime with rain for example, it seems wasteful to have full lights on the front. What's the logic in this? Most cars have reduced Daytime Running Light intensity. Full light intensity uses more fuel.

And what exactly is the use of that knob for the lights if it does not do anything (other than allowing the high-beams to stay)?? Again, if I compare to the Mercedes which has auto-lights on as well, the knob allows one to turn off the lights, parking lights, etc... It seems odd that the Volvo is a dummy switch with no functionality.
    Last edited by rovermark; 04-21-2011 at 04:06 PM.
    2009 Volvo XC70 T6 AWD
    Seashell / Sandstone beige

I have a 2010 T6 and it does rev high for the first 10 seconds or so and I have no idea why but I never put it in gear until the rev's come back down. I know my 2005 XC70 did it and my wifes 2007 XC90 does as well. It bums me out when she does not let her rev's come down before she puts it into gear. I seem to remember most of my cars doing that in the past too, I am not a mechanic and do not do a whole heck of alot but wash my cars and put air in the tires! LOL!
    Volvo's have always been kind of quirky and I guess that is why I like them so much.

4406 Chestnut Street Plant City, FL 33566

hello,nice to know that.
    check this outM5071A