Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tell your story

couple things... did you buy the CPO? the 60k schedule is really just looking around on it Nothing major that you can't do most of yourself. As far as the wheels go. You can fit volvo 17" wheels and then run 245/65/17 tires. all 7 passenger xc90's have 336mm rotors (even the v8's). he rattles, look at the door switches. If you are comfortable with wiring things up, the bluetooth can easily be added to the speaker out lines from the amp under the passenger seat. I added a motorola set up to mine (and a parrot to my wife's c30). If you can find all of the pin outs, it's easy to put in.

I installed a GROM unit with Bluetooth. It works most of the time, but the display won't show track information, and I have to repair frequently. Support from GROM has been poor with them basically just telling me to send it back if I don't like it. I was hoping they might actually want to resolve the problems and make it work better for everyone.

Are you sure that the 17" wheels fit on the cars with the bigger brakes (like my V8)? Two different tire shops told me that they wouldn't clear the calipers.

As far as the insurance, no I didn't buy the car CPO, the previous owner did, and then my local dealership extended the warranty. However, I'm not sure it is a Volvo warranty, but they said that they will do all the work under the warranty.

Got quotes ranging from $400 - $900 for the 60k. I've got the time and skills so I'll be doing it myself. Going to flush the tranny and brakes while I'm at it, just trying to find a funnel to get the fluid down to the fill hole. Also looks like I'll be installing new brakes and rotors. Already have the parts here, just need to make sure I have all the right tools to get the rotors off.

So my break pads and rotors are good for a bit. They have 40% left on them or so... However, I had two Volvo Dealerships and an independent shop talk me out of flushing the tranny. They said that the V8s have a difficult process and that it only needs to be done if you are towing. They all said to not worry about it. Since I have a warranty and they all said don't do it I guess I'm going to take their advice it just seems really weird to not flush a tranny after 60,000 miles on it.

Grom also has been talking with me more about my issues with their unit. They now think that because I have the six disc changer that can play MP3 files that is my issue with the track titles. They got one of my style changers in and hope to take a look at the firmware and see if their engineers can update it to make it work. But they said that it will be at least 3 months before that will happen. If it weren't for the bluetooth being the only easy way to integrate with the car I would have sent it back. I'm just hoping that they get me an update to make it do what it was supposed to do because their solution is really expensive.

I agree with no flush. I certainly do not agree with not doing a drain and fill. You'll get a bit less than 4 quarts out and 4 new quarts will keep the additive levels up and the sediment will comes out by doing a drain. The valve body issues that cause the overwhelming majority of problems with 5 and 6 speed Volvo transaxles has not been directly proven to be a fluid problem. I can't believe that cleaner fluid can't be better for those pieces.

I just bought a 2006 2.5T with 86,000 on the clock. It was in near perfect condition and had service records for more than half of the miles from a Volvo dealership that I know. One owner that clearly maintained the vehicle well. Everything works perfectly and it shifts like a Swiss watch. I finally found the trans. dipstick...and have the scrapes on my arm to prove it. The fluid looks clean but I will probably do a drain and fill on it.
    My only concern is that it drips trans fluid..not much but 3-4 drops on the driveway and directly from under the radiator. I took it to an Indy repair guy who told me it was a corroded and slightly leaking trans fluid cooler and he quoted $830 to replace it. I'm struggling with that for a few reasons. Everything I have read tells me the trans fluid is cooled by the radiator. A new Nissens radiator is under $200 delivered from FCPEuro. There is no trailer hitch so I can't believe a cooler was ever added.
    I'm tempted to take it to a Volvo dealership(Stillman) and see what the say. Any input appreciated.
    Last edited by Cropduster; 04-27-2014 at 06:40 AM.

Hello all. I bought a 2007 XC90 sport V8 for my wife new in 2007. Now, 2014, its got 52k miles. She loves it. I like it too but I'm not a SUV guy and can handle the two kids just fine in my M5 sedan, lol.
    Going to be doing a bit of searching here as there are a couple issues on the XC I'd like to address myself.
    Cheers!
    Pablo-

Hello from Pretoria South Africa !

In the months leading up to the birth of our daughter the topic of a larger vehicle came up quote a few times. I was driving a Daihatsu Sirion while my wife has a VW Polo Classic ( sedan version of the hatch to those over the water). Clearly my car wasn't going to cut it so i started looking at larger, and more specifically safer cars.

Being in the legal/insurance industry i happen to see many accident assessments. I was looking at Hyundai SUVs at the time and was truly shocked when i looked at an assessment on a XC90 and saw what they were going for, i have heard stories about depreciation but never thought i could afford one. The search began, with lots of research. I ignored the hand full of V8's out of hand for fear of consumption, but after lots of searching i found that the real world consumption was very similar to that of the T5 even though it had much more power.

I still wasn't sure about getting an XC90 though, and found one for sale with 190k kms on it for sale close by and went for a drive that changed every thing. Dr Jekkyl & Mr Hyde, smooth and quiet meets serious shove, it was love at first drive. My wife was still not convinced, especially seeing as fuel is really expensive.

When our daughter was born and about 2 weeks old i found one i was interested in ( in SA there were 1200 XC90 s for sale of which only 5 were V8's, they're that rare) and took my wife and daughter along, the car turned out to e in horrible knick paint and interior wise but at least she took it for a drive with Iske strapped into the back, and lobed it !! As there was another one pretty close by, a pearl white 2006 V8 Executive 5 seater with 139k kms in the area we went looking at it too, and bought it 2 days later.

We have since done about 2000 odd kms including a 750 km round trip to a wedding with all sort of baby paraphernalia and love it even more. Driven modesty in town the consumption is ok, and we got around 10l/100kms cruising with it. What an awesome car !!

We have since found a small leak on the main bearing, and will be replacing the rear control arm bushes on monday, but otherwise the car runs like clockwork.

We have done dirt roads and soaked rainstorm freeways, always safely, so happy i bought it !

bought a used 04xc70 with only 73,000km on the odo. however started having tranny probs soon afterward. now I have no gear indicator on the dash and a service trans message. I love the feel of the car and also have a v70 and s40 and 2 240`s...one for parts....scarce in Canada...I love my Volvos...but very disappointed in my recent purchase.

Hello -

We are a long time Honda family and only buy cars when we absolutely must, but our 2004 Odyssey was totaled in November. We wanted safety, space, and comfort while staying within our minuscule budget. We narrowed it down to Pilot or XC90 - decided the Pilot drove way too much like a truck and loved the smooth ride of the Volvo. We found 4 within our budget but 3 of them were beat to heck - whining turbo, water marks around the windshield, trashed leather, stained interior. So on 12/23, we purchased our first Volvo - 2005 XC90 with 120k miles. The car was very well maintained, but needs the belts done so we are taking it to our Volvo dealer on Thursday. We took it on our first road trip with our 2 kids over the holidays and just love it - so much quieter than the minivan!! My only complaint thus far is the radio... I am spoiled with XM and there is not even an audio import for an external radio. So when we take it in on Thursday, is there anything else we should have the mechanic check? I know the oil was just changed and the previous owner had just put new tires and (I think) breaks on this fall. And does anyone have suggestions on adding an audio in to the sound system?

Thanks so much!

Help... PLease.. I have a 2005 XC 90, my xenon healight keeps burning out.. put two in, within a month.. The auto store and a few others have said the little silver box that is attached to the light is smoking.. you can smell it as soon as you take that little cap off.. so the silver box.. maybe 2x3 is burning out the light.. I have gone to 4 mechanics and I feel as though they do not know how to repair it.. and I am driving with one headlight.. HELP PLEASE

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast