Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Kayak/Canoe Holder - will 2 fit side by side?

Hi,

Volvo has two different kayak holders for the wing cross bars. One has the kayak in a laying flat position - and it looks to me as if it would only fit ONE kayak in that position.

The other one has the kayak in a steep vertical angled position. Will TWO of those fit side by side? I can't tell from the photo and there simply are no measurements to give me any indication?

Best Regards,
    Andy

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Andy,

Any idea of what the gain/decrease in width is with the 2nd gen wing bars?

The wing profile bars really limit the width of workable load space (33") that you have. It really boils down to the beam of your boats. I also have doubts that two kayaks would fit side-by-side using two sets of traditional saddles.

I'm barely able to car top a pair of 22" wide boats using 50" square-profile bars and I have a little more than 37" of workable space on those bars. For wider loads, I have a set of 58" bars that I have at my disposal just in case.

You just might be able to get away with using one set of saddles and a pair of J cradles. Again, it depends on the beam of the boat resting on the saddles.

Pretty sure that you would be okay with two pairs of the folding J cradles, although you might need to attach each cradle as far outward on the bars as possible.

Question Carrying two Kayaks

Hi Art,

thanks for posting these photos. That's extremely helpful.

I had not considered combining 1 set of J-cradles and 1 set of saddles. Other than cost, is there any advantage of that combination vs. just using 2 sets of J-cradles?

Are the saddles easier to use or to secure than the J-cradles?

PS: Both Kayaks are one-seaters and one of them is a junior size (for my 10-year old). Thus far we only carried one (and only very locally), so I just strapped it no the cross-wings). Now that we're getting a second one and we might go a little further, I need a more proper setup.

Best Regards,
    Andy

>> Any idea of what the gain/decrease in width is with the 2nd gen wing bars? <<

You mean between the 2006 and 2008 model years? It's two years ago, but if I remember, it was so VERY minor that I coulnd't believe that the old Wings weren't fitting by a hair (probably a centimeter or less). When I got the new ones they looked and functioned EXACTLY the same - but they clearly had a different part number and they DID specify that they were specific for the new model years.

I was able to sell the old ones on eBay.

When my 2011 T6 arrives in December, I'll see if my current Wings can still be used...

Best Regards,
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Schmidt View Post
    Hi Art,

thanks for posting these photos. That's extremely helpful.

I had not considered combining 1 set of J-cradles and 1 set of saddles. Other than cost, is there any advantage of that combination vs. just using 2 sets of J-cradles?

Are the saddles easier to use or to secure than the J-cradles?

PS: Both Kayaks are one-seaters and one of them is a junior size (for my 10-year old). Thus far we only carried one (and only very locally), so I just strapped it no the cross-wings). Now that we're getting a second one and we might go a little further, I need a more proper setup.

Best Regards,
    Andy
    In my particular case I already had two sets of saddles so I only needed the one pair of J-cradles to accommodate the beamier of the two boats. Saddles would be the less expensive route and would likely offer the most stable platform for kayaks (less exposure to wind) although I've never had any issues with my J-cradles, even at highway speeds. Mine are the earlier versions and do not fold down.

Cross shop the Volvo and Thule Pro J-cradles for price comparison. It's likely the Volvo branded cradles are, in fact, made by Thule.

NOTE: As I don't know the dimensions for your boats, you may also want to check their hull depths to ensure that they will fit securely on the J-cradles.
    Last edited by Art; 10-12-2010 at 09:42 PM.

Two sea kayaks will not fit side by side in the upright position unless you get bars that extend past the mounts by quite a bit.
    For normal bars, one must be canted on j type cradles or saddles.
    I have Yakima bars and a set of 'Hully Rollers' and a set of Yakima saddles. To fit both sea kayaks, i had to mount one set of attachments outboard of the rail on one side and cant the kayak in the cradles, worked fine.-Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Quote Originally Posted by budrichard View Post
    Two sea kayaks will not fit side by side in the upright position unless you get bars that extend past the mounts by quite a bit.
    For normal bars, one must be canted on j type cradles or saddles.
    I have Yakima bars and a set of 'Hully Rollers' and a set of Yakima saddles. To fit both sea kayaks, i had to mount one set of attachments outboard of the rail on one side and cant the kayak in the cradles, worked fine.-Dick
    It really depends on the beam of your boats. As previously mentioned, I'm able to car top two singles on standard 50" square-profile load bars. This probably couldn't be done with wider kayaks ie those with 23" + beams. I utilize some older versions of saddles (H2Go) made by Thule.

As I've been upgrading my boats (and my kayaking needs are expanding) I'm in the process of upgrading the rig to carry them.

Two things to note about the J-cradles:

The folding ones are great, but check that there is room to fold them down. Note that they are relatively easy to steal, due to them having a bracket the sits around the bar, rather than being in the track of the bar.

The non folding J-cradles have a quick release design, so you only have to undo two bolts partially. This means they're easy enough to take on and off on a needs basis, so you won't be driving around with them when you're not carrying a boat.

My challenge is that I'll be trying to get THREE boats on my car. I'll be upgrading to THREE J cradles, one of which will be folding so that I can get the middle boat in.

Initially I was going to get a bar that extends beyond the rails, keep my existing saddles in the middle and have J cradles on the outside. But you'll find it is easier to place a boat in the J cradles, and if I don't have to change to a longer bar, I'll be keeping the entire package a few inches lower. Again, easier to load, and better on the car.

Here are my two new boats (Prijon Yukon II and Prijon Proteus):

Cheers,
    Patrick
    Architect

2001 Volvo XC70 (PJ-810)
    2007 Volvo XC70
    2001 BMW 530i Touring MSport

Past:
    1987 240GL
    1982 244GLE
    1978 245L (Manual)
    and: 1974 Triumph 2000Mk2, 1990 Renault 25TXE, 1986 Rover SD1, 1990 Peugeot 605SV, 1991 Peugeot 605SVE, 1995 Peugeot 605SV

I use the Kari-Tek J bars and have been pleased so far. See http://www.karitek.co.uk/kbyre/acata...cks.html#aCRJX

We have P&H Scorpio (a 168 for wifey, and a 170 for me) Sea Kayak's. The P&H website recommends J bars (or at least carrying on the sides, not flat)...see this useful video regards car roof carrying...
    http://www.phseakayaks.com/videos-loading

Some lovely boats (and cars!) in the photos above
    Last edited by MartinK; 10-21-2010 at 09:20 AM.
    2009 xc70 SE Geartronic
    2012 Land Rover Defender "Puma" 2.4
    BMW K1200RS

Default Carrying paddles

I'm now at the point where I've just realised my cross bars are further apart than the length of the shaft of my paddles. Until now I've carried my paddles inside the car, but with 5 PAX that is not going to be an option.

The roof rack paddle holders I used to have on my 240 weren't an issue as the bars were so much closer together.

My boats are 5.2m and 5.3m long. The appeal of the XC rails is that I can have those bars so far apart.

Any opinions on how I can best rig it up so I can carry three boats (on three sets of J-cradles) and 5 paddles on the roof would be appreciated.

Down the track I'll buy collapsible paddles, but at $500-$600 a pop I prefer to postpone that expense.
    Cheers,
    Patrick
    Architect

2001 Volvo XC70 (PJ-810)
    2007 Volvo XC70
    2001 BMW 530i Touring MSport

Past:
    1987 240GL
    1982 244GLE
    1978 245L (Manual)
    and: 1974 Triumph 2000Mk2, 1990 Renault 25TXE, 1986 Rover SD1, 1990 Peugeot 605SV, 1991 Peugeot 605SVE, 1995 Peugeot 605SV

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast