Default anyone have this problem (noise)

My wagon, 84K , 2000 has started making a new noise.

When braking and turning, or accelerating and turning from modest speed...like a 90 degree intersection... I get a "fluuump" noise from the back..sounds like there was a suitcase sliding from side in the cargo compartment and smacking the side wall.

My mechaninc looked under it and can't find anything wrong.

Any one have this one?

Could be your driveshaft is taking a crap

same noise in the back of mine. My driveshaft went kerplunk. $1200 for a new part, iirc. I'm searching for one as we speak.

we really need to sticky this info on here somewhere.
    for a quality rebuilt driveshaft, go here http://www.coloradodriveshaft.com/.
    Hailing from the Majestic Rocky Mountain High
    RIP 04-08-09

Extras: Bilstein Hd's, Zimmerman Cross-Drilled Rotors, K&N Air Filter
    IPD HD TCV, Stylin Motors Silicone Hoses, Silverstars, 8000k HID Fogs
    It is illegal to get this high in other states.

Need OEM Volvo Parts?
    Call Daryl Waltrip Volvo
    (800) 689-0021
    Ask for Jamie or Don

good link, thank you.

Default dang

Quote Originally Posted by funbuffalo24 View Post
    same noise in the back of mine. My driveshaft went kerplunk. $1200 for a new part, iirc. I'm searching for one as we speak.
    How did you decide it was the drive shaft? When you say "kerplunk" do yo mean it actually fell out of the car?

I told the mechanic I expected it to be the drive shaft but he did not find anything wrong. I don't have any vibration at all.

The previous month he did a lot of break work, replacing ABS sensor rings and what not...do you thing that could have anything to do with it...maybe inappropriate application/off of brake by ABS?

the other morning, I was just pulling out of the drive to park on the street going about 2 mph, turned 90 degrees to the right and "thump". Then I reversed about two feet, shifted into park, -foot on brake- no movement at all- and "thump". Then I tried going back and forth a couple of times but it would not repeat the noise.

So did you replace the shaft and did it make the noise go away?

Default thump

is your wife missing? seriously though take a good look at the bushings at all points in the rear including the shocks and axle.Your suspension may be binding or moving a little causing the noise.good luck.

Default I have same/similar "clunk

I'm trying to get to the bottom of a similar/the same problem with mine. Here's my description. A couple of the guys on turbobricks suggested it's the bevel gear. Does this sound like your problem???...

"When gently coming to a stop or gently accelerating, at the 5-10 kpm point, there is often what I can only describe as a "clunk" noise.

When rapidly coming to a stop or accelerating quickly no noise. Only happens when driving gently, about 50% of the time, and only when just coming to a stop or just starting off the line.

Transmission feels good throughout all gears, and the car has a solid feel even at high speed with no vibrations or other noises. The sound seems to be from the back half of the car.

To me it sounds like "play" in the drive shaft or something. While the guy I bought it from said he didn't think it needed anything (I believe he believed that), I bought it suspecting something (the price was right). I know the AWD system on these cars is a bit flaky.

Any ideas of some low-cost things I can do to diagnose and/or fix the issue?"