Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I tried tapping/slapping the housing and that didn't work for me, but replacement was super easy and bulbs were about 6 bucks for 2. Great tips from this thread.

My license plate light in the rear would go out occasionally and if I slammed the back a bit harder than usual it would work again. I took to driving around with extra bulbs so if lights went out I could change them out.
    2008 XC70 Black/Sandstone
    previous:
    2004 XC70 Crystal Green/Brown trade in @79K

Quote Originally Posted by MoeB View Post
    When the light switch is in parking light position (half-way between 9 and 12 o'clock on the switch) the parking lights stay on without the key in the ignition. Or at least they do on my car.
    Been trying to figure these "position" / parking light problems for a couple of years - dealer in St Louis hasn't figured it out yet as far as I know. MoeB i have same car/color as yours but 2002. Couple of problems/questions:
    1 - Volvo manual rear cover that came w/car says that the front position light #6 on diagram is 5W W2.1x9.5d position light is actually in the low beam container. - When I look at the front of the low beam I see there is a hole, but can't determine if there is a bulb there yet...BUT, when I turn the light sw to the middle postion as you state, without a key in ignition - the Front Parking lights turn on as part of the Turn signal - thus a double filament??

2 - Only the bottom Rear Parking lights turn on #4 from the picture on this thread or #7 on the back of the car manual is a 21/4w BA 15d bulb. The left is a double filament and this one is definitely broke on my car - the Fog light filament is working and this bulb is an OSRAAM 7225 not a 5007 bulb - is the right a 5007 since only a single filament?

3 - The Rear actually has 2 position/parking lights if I'm reading correctly - on the back cover of manual, bulb 7 above as well as bulb 8, which is bulb #3 from the picture in this thread. These 2 lights I cannot get working at all - tried tapping, smacking, banging, etc to no luck. My guess is both are out - but had trouble in past getting these out and actually broke something off one of the brackets. I'm guessing this is why my warning lites tell me position failure?

4 - Right turn signal, rapid fire - it works, but get error message, and the position light is steady when light sw in the parking light position - Could this be wrong wattage bulb? Contacts?

Thanks for all your help folks! sorry for the long note - been very frustrating over past 2 yrs -especially when you take to dealer and they don't fix.

Roo,

1. I've never had to change them, but I believe the front parking and turn signal lights are separate single filament bulbs.

2. I don't know, I would just pull out the bulbs and buy the same kind.

3. Yes. Replace them with Osram 5007 and your Position Light Failure will go away.

4. Don't know. Check bulbs and see. What is the error message?
    2001 Volvo V70XC
    Venitian Red/Beige
    Cold Weather/Touring/Premium packages
    08/01 Build Date

Default Position light bulb failure

I'm a new owner of an older Volvo ('05 XC70, 93K km) and when I got the "position light" message I, like others, was at a loss to understand where this bulb was located. That brought me to the web, and to this forum, where, lo and behold, others share the experience. This morning I tapped lightly on my left rear lens and......problem solved.

Thanks. A lot.

Default Bulb failure...position light

I have a 2004 XC70 with 75k which I purchased used. This problem stated about 3 months ago. It is the the upper bulb of the running lights on the driver's side I have replaced both bulbs, cleaned the contacts with emery cloth and swapped the bulb holders from side to side. Problem remains. I read the forum and used the "bump" trick successfully. Recently I discovered that opening the front door (either driver or passenger) and then slamming it hard will cause the bulb to light and the error message to disappear. My local independent shop is stumped. Any new ideas?

Thanks from the newbie.

Another endorsement for the tap fix!!

Default Check power supply line branch to bad bulb

Rick

My 2002 V70 wiring diagram shows one gray/white wire supplying power to both rear parking lights bulbs on the left side. If one bulb works and the other doesn’t it can only be a few things causing the problem. Since you’ve swapped the bulb holder from side to side and I am assuming the problem didn’t follow the bulb holder and you’re certain it’s not the bulb then is has to be a marginal connection were the power line splits and supplies the second bulb. .

Look for the power line branch where the single gray/white power line splits into two to feed both bulbs. I haven’t looked at the rear light connector so this could be short jumper wire in the connector plug or part of the connector itself or it could but be within the taillight assembly but I would think the bulb holder swap eliminates it being in the bulb holder.

If the bulb is good and the contacts in the bulb holder are okay and the other bulbs works then it can only be after the single power line splits off and supplies the problematic bulb. Look for this split and the connections associated with this power line branch, it will be a connection in this power branch that is marginal. This all assumes my wiring diagram matches your car.

Default amber or white front parking light

Quote Originally Posted by roo747 View Post
    1 - Volvo manual rear cover that came w/car says that the front position light #6 on diagram is 5W W2.1x9.5d position light is actually in the low beam container. - When I look at the front of the low beam I see there is a hole, but can't determine if there is a bulb there yet...BUT, when I turn the light sw to the middle postion as you state, without a key in ignition - the Front Parking lights turn on as part of the Turn signal - thus a double filament??
    This seems to be a difference between US and European cars. I don't have the amber parking lights, as part of the turn signal. In my car they are behind the main lens (low/high beam). Would like to change though, just to be different over here.
    Can someone tell what really is the difference? Are there different part numbers for the headlight/turn signal assembly, or can it be done by just swapping bulbs or bulb holders?

Regards,
    Hans
    Hans
    2000 V70XC 2.4T LPGas
    ash gold pearl outside, oak inside
    Atlantis + Goodyear F1 235/50-18
    [santa] Tellus + Michelin PA2 215/65-16
    NO roofrails, NO badges on hatch

last week:
    left rear... just replaced it

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast