Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Maybe I just never notice how bad the blade wipers can get- my pre-drive ritual for the winter includes running my fingers over the blades to insure they're clear and clearing any snow or ice from the little pocket between the hood and windshield. I've done this every time there has been anything more than a light dusting for the last 3 years of winter driving and I can't really complain about ice a whole lot.

I've yet to use the blade wipers in a snowstorm, downpour or highway driving- my XC got taken out by a plow in mid December and I get to pick it up later this week from the shop.

I also replace wipers often and take measures to try and ensure less wear- I don't run them over ice on the windshield, run them dry or anything like that. Taking a rag or wet paper towel out with you to clean the blades does a good deal to help the blades stay clean, give a good wipe and allows you to inspect them often to check for rubber separation, cracking at the base, etc. I never use wipers to clear mounds of snow off the windshield either, I'll run them in powder to break it up and allow my hand brush to work faster, but I never try to wipe a lot of heavy or wet snow/ice.

I have had a set of standard wiper blades with the frame that chipped and rusted out within a week and I blew $15 on them- that led me to the "blades", no metal and less parts to jam/break.
    Last edited by Rustpot; 01-07-2008 at 03:13 PM.

Default Icing

I agree that the wiper blades really ice up whe it is snowing. I don't think the defrosting is that robust. Plus the front windshield is quite thick and does not transfer heat very well to the wipers which causes more icing problems. My Subaru was much better in this regard. Seems to be a weak design.

Gold--what winter wipers did you use? tx
    2007 XC70 Barents Blue, Adventure Pkg

Quote Originally Posted by dcawd View Post
    Gold--what winter wipers did you use? tx
    Mr. Clean Premium Winter Wiper Blades. They cost $3.81 each at my local Sam's Club.

I have a V50 AWD, drives well in the snow but the wiper blades are useless and downright dangerous because they ice up so quickly and heavily. The Volvo dealer will do nothing about them, only offer me new blades at $30 each! and the ones on the car are about 6 months old. Can I get a machinist to pop out the rivets and install wipers arms that will accept the rubber booted winter blades?

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    I have a V50 AWD, drives well in the snow but the wiper blades are useless and downright dangerous because they ice up so quickly and heavily. The Volvo dealer will do nothing about them, only offer me new blades at $30 each! and the ones on the car are about 6 months old. Can I get a machinist to pop out the rivets and install wipers arms that will accept the rubber booted winter blades?
    There is nothing particularly proprietary with the Volvo wiper arms. They are one of the standard types. In the case of the P2s, they are the "U" hook ends. Just go and buy aftermarket blades.

I'd recommend getting the ones where the spring is in the blade and and there is no exposed "truss work" to ice up.

Aftermarket blades are really easy to install...

I just tried out the Bosch Icon...spring type as discussed, but I can't recommend them...one blade just croaked at 3 months old!

Because of the forecast (heavy rain tonight) I stopped by the dealer and picked up a set. Pricey? Yeah, but the blade itself had come completely torn off the body of the Icons and being able to see is important to me...

If I had more time, I would order the PIAA Silicone blades from Tire Rack. I've heard they last a long long time and are streak-free...and they're the same price as the dealer's...

http://www.tirerack.com/wipers/resul...2&autoModClar=
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

I had pretty good luck with Michelin frame less wipers from wal mart. I had them on my car for almost 3yrs. I hardly had chance to really drive long distance in ice/sleet situation with these wipers.
    1988 Volvo dark red 244 DL: 200k miles w/ GL wheels, volvo volt gauge, volvo fuel ecomony gauge, and jvc cd player

2003 Volvo ash gold metalic XC70: 100k miles
    cold climate package, sand leather, memory seats, homelink, moon/sunroof, grocery rack, courtsey lights, and 40/20/40 rear seat, trailer hitch, IPD engine strut conversion and poly bushings, IPD upper engine mount and round poly bushings, 3M xpel lens covers

cool: loves the snow drifting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12