Default XC70 2005 won't start?

Hello,

I have a 2005 XC70 that will not start. I went out to drive it yesterday afternoon and it cranked but would not start. This is after having driven it with no problems yesterday morning. Let me give you all the details and maybe someone has some advice or suggestions.

Symptoms: Does not start, but does crank. No sputtering or even an attempt to start.

Trouble Shooting:
    • Checked all fuzes and relays. All seemed fine.
    • The car has a 1/2 full tank of fresh fuel.
    • Battery is fully charged and reading 12.2 V.
    • Did a OBD2 scan and it produced no DTC messages.
    • With the key on and the scanner hooked up I looked at the TPS values and found them to be spot on and within 1 degree of each other.
    • Checked the fuel pressure with the key on and the scanner showed no pressure.

I do not know what else to look at. I am thinking that the fuel pump could be dead, but do not know it it should be reading pressure with the key on or not. I also can not hear the pump turn on with the key.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheer, Brew

Check fuel pump fuse first. You should be able to check if the fuel lines are pressurized by pushing the valve (Looks like a bike tire valve) on the fuel rail, wear googles and make sure it sprays into a glass jar or other fuel capable container. Follow all safety rules playing with fuel.
    2001 V70XC 150k

Well I re-checked the fuze and it was fine. I also tried with the key on to see if the fuel rail bleed had pressure and it did not. This just confirms the LDS of zero pressure the scanner showed.

My question now is... is there anything OTHER than the fuel pump that would cause no pressure to the fuel system? I do not have a good understanding of all the systems so I would hate to jump to that conclusion and replace a pump only to find it was not the actual cause of the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by guymon View Post
    Check fuel pump fuse first. You should be able to check if the fuel lines are pressurized by pushing the valve (Looks like a bike tire valve) on the fuel rail, wear googles and make sure it sprays into a glass jar or other fuel capable container. Follow all safety rules playing with fuel.

How many miles on the car? Do you know if the fuel filter has ever been changed? They are cheap and I'd start there first.

Since your is a 2005 with the P.E.M ( Fuel pump electronic control module) still on the outside of the car i would defiantly check the connection to the PEM. They have a tendency for water to get in the connection causing a lot of corrosion. If there is enough corrosion the fuel pump will not receive any power causing a no start. The PEM is located right next to the fuel filter just in front of the passenger rear tire so it's very easy to check.
    Last edited by volvospeed70; 07-21-2014 at 10:41 AM.

The car has 130k on it. I changed the fuel filter last Autumn at about 125K.
    Quote Originally Posted by youropeen View Post
    How many miles on the car? Do you know if the fuel filter has ever been changed? They are cheap and I'd start there first.

Good idea. I will check that in the morning and give it a good cleaning and light touch of di-electric grease while there.

Well, pulled the connector on the P.E.M and it looked good. No corrosion to speak of. I still gave it a clean out with electrical connector cleaner and lube, let it dry then reconnected it.

Tried to start it. It tried to start but then just cranked as before without firing. So no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by volvospeed70 View Post
    Since your is a 2005 with the P.E.M ( Fuel pump electronic control module) still on the outside of the car i would defiantly check the connection to the PEM. They have a tendency for water to get in the connection causing a lot of corrosion. If there is enough corrosion the fuel pump will not receive any power causing a no start. The PEM is located right next to the fuel filter just in front of the passenger rear tire so it's very easy to check.
    Last edited by Brewmaster; 07-22-2014 at 01:27 PM.