Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Does anyone want to share opinions on aftermarket filters and coolers for the transmission system? I'm looking at Carquest 85953 per a YouTube video from mars1952: https://youtu.be/7WfY8MQc1B8

I can't find the model of after market cooler I read someone post about on here.
    Again, just looking for thoughts. For my '05, it's high transmission oil temp (75 Celsius and up) where the shifting seems to struggle, so the cooler seems like maybe a good idea.
    Obviously, the new fluid will help the most I know

Quote Originally Posted by DannyStringhamMarquis View Post
    Does anyone want to share opinions on aftermarket filters and coolers for the transmission system? I'm looking at Carquest 85953 per a YouTube video from mars1952: https://youtu.be/7WfY8MQc1B8

I can't find the model of after market cooler I read someone post about on here.
    Again, just looking for thoughts. For my '05, it's high transmission oil temp (75 Celsius and up) where the shifting seems to struggle, so the cooler seems like maybe a good idea.
    I've done the setup (minus the cooler) that Astro describes in this thread (http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...sh-From-Bottom) on both my current P2s. Fairly cheap to do and not that expensive. Highly recommended.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Quote Originally Posted by DannyStringhamMarquis View Post

My 06 had the occasional harsh downshift when it was hot. It was fairly minor and infrequent, but I knew it wasn't good. I did a "Gibbons" flush (search here for the thread) and replaced the fluid. The difference was immediate and great. Over the next 25,000 miles it gradually came back. Last summer I did the same flush and installed a fairly large cooler, and it has been a more consistent improvement. I plan on changing the fluid at 20,000 mile intervals going forward. I think the cooler was under $150, it was money well spent.

Happy to report that the Gibbons method flush has caused an immediate improvement. Still noticeable heavy downshifting when transmission oil temp gets high/drive time extends beyond half an hour. But, so much better than before the flush.
    Plus, the old fluid was practically black.
    So, I'll reset the counter and plan on flushing the fluid again in another 15-20 thousand miles. Probably will add the filter and cooler then too. Thanks for everyone's help

Next time try Idemitsu Type-TLS, it worked better than Mobil-3309 (and like 3 or 4 other JWS-3309 compliant fluids I've tried) in 3 AW55 I have/had. Or, better, original Volvo ATF, if you have money. Whatever rumor everyone is repeating about substitutes, AW55 in Volvo shifts best with original fluid.

Hayden ATF cooler (black) and Magnefine 3/8" is a very good idea. Easy to install actually. I have never had ATF temp over 200F even after climbing toll scenic road near Smugglers Notch in VT on a hot day. Engine was slightly boiling. As a pleasant side effect of installing both cooler and filter - ATF will work significantly longer, so using original ATF becomes less painful

At this mileage your transmission is worn mechanically. It has couple of weak places, like differential housing or increased gap between B4 servo band and pin, which break/wear even in a well-maintained transmission.

Other things that significantly affect shifting quality, all from my personal experience, is a dying Haldex (you have DEM-006 for Haldex pump) - that's erratic jolts on acceleration, almost stripped collar sleeve between transmission and bevel gear - that's metal clunks/jolts on acceleration after coasting, and any kind of engine performance problems - transmission learns how to shift for particular load, engine power delivery problem scratches what transmission learned previously.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12