Cool Data Encryption and on board components

The old 01 finally died of a broken engine........and I have acquired a bargain of a shiny 2005 with all the whistle and bells to replace the old girl....
    Of course a bargain has its problems and the abs light comes on intermittently......no problem I thought....replace the abs module with a re-built one £70 (as per the 2001 version)......but no, it appears Volvo encrypt individual electronic modules to the car so that only they can put in new bits and let the car talk to Gothenburg....then charge £1.4k.....

Ive been away a while sampling the forbidden fruits of other machines (Pajero Evo.......awsome!) but when did Volvo play this dirty trick and is there an easy work around?

Thanks,

John

Companies such as Xemodex in Canada offer preprogrammed rebuilt ABS modules that are plug and play for lots of Volvos, no VIDA programming needed. Volvo went to CAN networking in 1999 - The 2001-2002? was the last year of abs control units that did not require the replacement to be programmed. (I think an easy way to tell is if the ABS control unit is held on with 4 screws it does not need programming, 3 screws it does)

Of course there are many reasons an ABS light will come on other than a bad or erratic control unit.

Hoonk, thanks for the reply......we will be looking at sensors etc at the weekend, as the fault is intermittent I have in mind looking for loose components, apparently the Volvo only programmable boxes have components that are pushed into the motherboard and not soldered......they rattle loose over time soldering them in is the solution apparently.

I think the point I was trying to make is that having electronics encrypted to a particular car which will not accept new componenet without talking to Volvos HQ seems to remove even further the chance of a non Volvo garage being able to fix things........as cars become older an indie shop (or even ourselves) can make repairs that are economical.....but at a main dealers become uneconomical and result in perfectly good motors bein scrapped.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBuckles View Post
    I think the point I was trying to make is that having electronics encrypted to a particular car which will not accept new componenet without talking to Volvos HQ seems to remove even further the chance of a non Volvo garage being able to fix things.

Agreed - but that is what most manufacturers have done - most modules have to be coded, some brands of cars are easier than others. On some Volvos you can't even replace the drivers window switch (with a new part) without talking to Sweden.

BTW - it's well worth investing in a VIDA tool so you can check the status of modules etc! This might help with figuring out if the error is sensors or something else, as it should log exactly when/where the error occured...