Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Minimum Parts for PCV System Service

2006 XC70, 105k, (finally got around to the timing belt service a few months ago)

Gearing up for a PCV System Service and looking into which parts I'll need to replace, planning on ordering during black friday/cyber monday sales.

Wanted to be clear on what parts definitely need replacing and what I can get away with cleaning and reusing.

Seems like the banjo bolts are the most notorious culprits of clogging, but I assume a new oil trap is also a must.

This kit from FCP seems to include everything other than an additional crankcase hose (VOL-30677388) and the especially expensive breather hose assembly (VOL-30731068).

So my questions is: can I get away with this kit (+ new banjo bolts) while cleaning and reusing these two hoses?

It would be really great if this was the case and would essentially half the cost of this service. Let me know!

Also planned during this service: Clean throttle body, ATF Drain&Fill, Oil Change, replace rogue parking sensor.

Every part can be cleaned and reused given time and patience, lacquer thinner will dissolve the residue, and shop air for blowing things out, the passage into the oil sump is one item that needs to be inspected for blockage and build up, and could require the oil sump (pan) removal for complete cleaning, a bore scope can be utilized for inspection of this passage

Except the large $$$ hose.
    That MUST be replaced or you're just going to waste a lot of labor time for nothing
    The 12" wavy pipe that goes over the engine too, the new one is made with a better design and materials and besides if yours is original, it's one hand grab from disintegrating!!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

I would buy all new parts including the $$$ hoses. Plastic gets brittle with age, heat, and oil.

You could spend hours cleaning everything, then break them putting them back in, and have to buy new anyway. Or they could fail a few months from now. Or they might last until the car is totaled. Who knows?

Do it once.

Do it right and you'll only have to do it once.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

This job, for me, was VERY labor intensive. Once you take everything apart and then put it all back together, you wont mind having paid an extra $50-150 for parts if it means you won't have to do the job for another 100k. Also, this could be a good time to replace your coolant since you may drain/lose a good deal of it during the process. You'll also have access to the starter motor after you remove the throttle body/intake manifold. You might want to check that the metal clip connection of the small solenoid wire from the ignition is clean and not loose. About 6 mos. after my PCV service, this connection started failing intermittently leading to a NO CRANK situation.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Do it all, you will kick yourself if you don't. Plus, with the intake manifold off do the thermostat (unfortunately the '06 is expensive) and given the t-stat do the upper and lower radiator hoses.

Given you are at 105k the other critical question I would ask is have you flushed the transmission?

The PCV + transmission flushs should get you the next 100k mi.

Default Parts list for complete PCV reconditioning of B5254T2 engine

We just took in 2007 S60 with same B5254T2 engine for complete PCV reconditioning by Volvo dealer. Here is the part list from the invoice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PCV B5254T2 parts list.jpg  

If it requires a lot of labor to get to, replace everything. Doing the labor twice is not fun, and is definitely not a good use of your time. I did the whole thing, I believe the kit was around $325. In my case the hard nylon line had snapped. That is not a part you would want to put back on your engine.

Quote Originally Posted by OslosisJones View Post
    Wanted to be clear on what parts definitely need replacing and what I can get away with cleaning and reusing.
    The only part that definitely needs replacing is a broken part and any gaskets you remove. Unfortuantely, it can be hard to tell what is broken until you get it apart. However, the parts that receive the most wear are the hoses attached directly to the engine block due to the associated heat, that includes 30731068 which may or may not need replacing. I cleaned it 1 time, but broke it during removal the 2nd time. The oil trap and banjo bolts are pretty much indestructible, you could clean those if you wanted. I would not recommend using anything other than kerosene for cleaning hoses, many paint thinners contain far too much toluene to be compatible with EPDM or neoprene hoses but it will depend on the formulation.

30677388 is for non-turbo engines only, you need part 1271653 instead which is included in the FCP kit.

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
    We just took in 2007 S60 with same B5254T2 engine for complete PCV reconditioning by Volvo dealer. Here is the part list from the invoice.
    Your mechanic must have an overdue boat payment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast