Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How do you check the transmission fluid level

Didn't find anything using the search....

How do you check the automatic transmission fluid level on an 01 XC70? I don't see a dipstick like many of the past vehicles I had used. I do see what looks like a fluid filler hole (hex bolt) on top of the transmission near the shift linkage. Do you check it there, or is there another bolt/drain plug on the underside of the transmission?

Many thanks,

Glenn

To the best of my recollection the dipstick is located near the front of the engine compartment on the driver's side effectively hidden by wiring and hoses. The fluid is checked with the transmission warm and the car parked level. Place the transmission in park and then run it stationary with the control placed in each position for about 3 seconds. Then return the selection lever to Park and wait two minutes leaving the engine running. Check the fluid with the engine running. Do not use a cloth that may leave lint or threads behind to clean the dipstick. The fluid may be quite hot. The difference between the minimum and maximum on the diptstick represents .2 liter. If you need to add fluid use the right stuff.

Bill
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Just to add to Bill’s comments, here are a couple of photos of the yellow ATF dipstick. You can see it partially hidden by the hoses in the center of the photo.

WOW!!!

That really is undercover so to speak..... No wonder I couldn't find it easily.

Thanks once again for the help as I learn more about the Volvo. This forum is one of the best I have been involved with. Definitely the most helpful, as after 20 years of working on cars, this is one of the best designed, yet slightly quirky cars to work on I have come across..... I love the thing though

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by psaboic View Post
    I do see what looks like a fluid filler hole (hex bolt) on top of the transmission near the shift linkage. Do you check it there, or is there another bolt/drain plug on the underside of the transmission?
    I know its an old post but holy...this had the makings of a SnowMobileAddict-esque story written all over it.
    current: 2001 XC70 207,000mi, original tranny

past: 1987 740GLE tranny...bleh
    past: 1979 240DL head-on collision

Quote Originally Posted by kain View Post
    I know its an old post but holy...this had the makings of a SnowMobileAddict-esque story written all over it.
    Are you referring to the fact undoing this bolt will screw up your transmission as it is NOT a fillerhole? If so, this is hereby added to this thread: to all unsuspecting readers: this supposedly is the cause of half or more of the transmission rebuilds or swaps for this car... Search for 'third gear missing' and the likes for more info. Or simply stick with the advice NOT to ever touch this bolt.
    Need AWD info, so that's why I invade your forum with my V70 D5 AWD...

Hope you don't mind...

Roger that, never touch that bolt. STEP AWAY FROM THE BOLT. We are referring to the band anchor bolt shown in the attached photo. For all who haven't please read the thread "2002 XC70 Transmission Nightmare - EVERYONE PLEASE READ!".

Check level with dipstick and refill only through the dipstick tube.

Quote Originally Posted by r-p View Post
    Are you referring to the fact undoing this bolt will screw up your transmission as it is NOT a fillerhole? If so, this is hereby added to this thread: to all unsuspecting readers: this supposedly is the cause of half or more of the transmission rebuilds or swaps for this car... Search for 'third gear missing' and the likes for more info. Or simply stick with the advice NOT to ever touch this bolt.
    Of all the cars I've ben around over the years, I cannot recall one where an auto tranny was filled thru a fill hole. Everyone I've ever seen, (AW, ZF, Honda, GM, Ford) have all been filled thru the dipstick tube. Now manuals, sure thru a filler hole, but even with that the last time there was a hole on the top of the transmission for filling was an '58 MGA Coupe I had back in the Stone Age.

The lesson here is to not go around and start undoing bolts willy-nilly if you really don't know what you are doing. Read the user manual, workshop manual, a copy of VADIS or the Net, before you start. Frankly, anyone who just goes around undoing the bolts on the outside of an auto box without knowing a little something, kind of deserve evil results.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Just incase you guys think its plain silly to fill the tranny from the dip-stick hole, we had to do the same for our old Lexus SC400. Believe it or not.

http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-FloToo...314783&sr=1-47

I purchased this funnel from the local automotive store and it is totally worth the price (in fact I would have paid 3 times as much). The hopper is graduated in oz, ml, qts and there is a 1/4 turn shut-off valve at the bottom of the hopper that allows you to fill the hopper and get the hose into the dipstick hole prior to sending ATF on its way. There is also a snap on lid that keeps the ATF from spilling when adding full liters as the 1 liter mark is about 1/8" from the lip of the hopper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast