Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Xilikon View Post
    And do you see a caliper spring installed ?
    I just replaced my pads today... whoever was monkeying around down there was sloppy - that's for sure. One of the caliper springs was missing, the other one was not installed correctly.

The outside pads were pretty thick, but the inside pads were real slim, and one had a corner broke off.

I'm in business now - well, except I have to get one of those spring/clips.

Quote Originally Posted by sjonnie View Post
    Sounds like your MAF was disconnected, expect problems there in the future. Maybe give it a clean now? ...
    Should he expect problems because it was disconnected or a "known issue" on this year/model? Just curious.

Is cleaning with MAF spray ok on Volvos? Does it matter which side you spray into?

Quote Originally Posted by anyadang View Post
    I just replaced my pads today... whoever was monkeying around down there was sloppy - that's for sure. One of the caliper springs was missing, the other one was not installed correctly.

The outside pads were pretty thick, but the inside pads were real slim, and one had a corner broke off.

I'm in business now - well, except I have to get one of those spring/clips.
    Missing or incorrectly installed caliper spring on a "floating caliper" will cause the pads to not land flat on the rotor. Lack of spring tension the outside of the caliper against the bracket allows the caliper to "rotate" against the plane of the rotor surface. Inner pads likely wear out first and both pads will wear at an angle. And sounds like a pad ear broke off due to all this twisting motion. You will also get poor brake performance with reduce contact and pressure on the braking surface

Might take a look to see if your rotor face has non planer wear patterns if this problem has been present for this long.

Make sure the caliper spring is installed correctly. The ears have to be on correctly to provide tension. Lots of first timers (including me) got this wrong even if you are good DIYer. Here is a pick. The spring ears have to be on the side of the bracket towards the center of the rotor

http://blog.carid.com/wp-content/upl...eplacement.jpg
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

My money is on the caliper spring as well!

'05 XC70
    -Pioneer Avic F700bt headunit
    -12 inch Alpine Type R Sub
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12