Default ceramic vs. semi ceramic pads

I am looking to buy rear pads and rotors for my '02 XC. I'm looking for low dust, minimum fade, good longevity. I have been running Brembo rotors and pads on the front for some time and like them just fine.

For comparison of rear pads as an example, I see on a vendor's web site Brembo ceramic pads for $42.39 (US) and Akebono semi-ceramic pads for $74.89. What is the difference in terms of overall performance of these ceramic vs. semi-ceramic pads?

In addition, I was planning on buying Brembo rotors, but if I am compelled to buy Akebono pads, is there some other brand or type of rotors I should strongly consider to go with Akebono pads rather than Brembo rotors?

Thanks
    Tom McMillion

2002 V70XC 278K miles bought Dec. 2013 w/ 156K
    This replaced a '97 850 with 401K miles

AKE BONO Euros are full ceramic and do not leave any brake dust.
    Been using them for years now, they stop and feel about the same as stock OEM Volvo pads.
    Brembo rotors are fine with these pads
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

No such thing as semi ceramic.

The Akebono pads are great. They're on my T5, XC-70 and S600. I had them on my old Mercedes 300E, too.

They have decent bite, last about 100,000 miles, and don't dust or squeal.

The Akebono Euro Ceramic pads are absolutely the best choice for your Volvo. Get some new rotors while you're doing brakes, Brembo is fine, I've used Centric slotted, ATE slotted, Mercedes OEM drilled and plain Brembos, all work well. The slotted rotors have a tiny bit of harmonic hum under heavy braking, but they bite quicker in rainy conditions. The front brakes on my T5 lasted 100,000 miles with Akebono pads and slotted rotors. I put a new set of Akebono pads and slotted rotors on that car last winter.

When it's time to do the fronts on your XC, consider upgrading the front rotors from 11" (280mm) to 12" (305mm)with brackets from Rock Auto. They'll fit under the 16" wheels. You're buying new rotors anyways, so the cost to do the upgrade is about $40 for a pair of brackets.

I'm currently running Akebono pads with 305mm drilled rotors from R1 concepts on the XC. They replaced a set of Akebono pads and plain Brembo rotors that went 100,000 miles.

With no dust. No noise.
    Last edited by Astro14; 05-30-2017 at 04:38 AM.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

I think I said that!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    I think I said that!
    True...and we completely agree on this!
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

FWIW, I recently bought the FCP kit with Brembo rotors and ceramic pads. Not a fan at all of those brake pads, they just don't have the bite and response that I am used to. They seem very 'progressive', and I prefer pads that respond instantly with less pedal pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    No such thing as semi ceramic.

The Akebono Euro Ceramic pads are absolutely the best choice for your Volvo. Get some new rotors while you're doing brakes, Brembo is fine, I've used Centric slotted, ATE slotted, Mercedes OEM drilled and plain Brembos, all work well.

When it's time to do the fronts on your XC, consider upgrading the front rotors from 11" (280mm) to 12" (305mm)with brackets from Rock Auto. They'll fit under the 16" wheels. You're buying new rotors anyways, so the cost to do the upgrade is about $40 for a pair of brackets.
    I appreciate all of the replies. Those pads sound amazing. And I love the info regarding the size upgrade on the front. That makes sense. I'll most likely do it when the time comes, which may be as early as later this year. I put new pads and rotors on the front some time ago but it's too soon to justify replacing them just to upgrade when the pads I have on there aren't worn down yet.

Check out the attached photo which is the vendor's only listing for Akebono rear pads for my car. It incorrectly says semi ceramic, it shows the listing for Akebono pads, and shows a picture of Bosch pads. This listing seemed to be so screwed up that it scared me off from ordering this particular part. I noticed that there is a part number listed which is apparently Akebono's part number, which has EUR in it. So I guess that means these are in fact the Euro pads.
    I wish I had realized that. Earlier in the week I ordered something else and I received the pads, rotors and a new set of parking brake hardware. I have almost new parking brake shoes. I think I'll return the other pads and order these and just wait until they come in to do my rear brakes. I have all of the parts but I really want the Akebono pads. That settles it, I'm getting the Akebono pads instead and returning the others that I ordered.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails akebono.jpg  
    Tom McMillion

I just ordered some rear pads, the Akebono Ceramics, from Rock Auto. Way cheaper than FCP and IPD, about $47. I now check them to compare prices, sometimes they have the same stuff at insanely good prices. $75 at FCP, $71 at IPD.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Koala View Post
    I just ordered some rear pads, the Akebono Ceramics, from Rock Auto. Way cheaper than FCP and IPD, about $47. I now check them to compare prices, sometimes they have the same stuff at insanely good prices. $75 at FCP, $71 at IPD.
    Yeah that's the price I saw at FCP. I was going to bite the bullet and go ahead and order from them, but not for their price when the price difference is that large. Just placed my order with RockAuto. Awesome. Thanks very much. I've ordered from RockAuto before but I normally order from one or the other of the online Volvo parts suppliers you listed. But I've become somewhat disenchanted with the way orders are split anymore by one of the vendors and I get these emails that say, first of all, "part of your order has shipped" and then a day or two later, "your order has fully shipped". I never used to get that but I seem to get that every time now and it takes at least an extra day or two before all of my parts have arrived. I don't care whether or not a parts vendor is sponsoring a European race car. I just want my parts in a timely manner like it used to be, i.e. the level of service I used to get. Plus you and Astro14 have made me rethink things, to always check at least one additional source besides the two I usually order from, before placing an online order. Thanks.
    Tom McMillion