Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Exclamation Aw55/50sn.l need some advice please help?

HI guys,and thanks to all of you forum member,if it weren't for you I will sold this car much earlier,but this forum helped me a lot with this car and that's why I intend to keep it,but now the transmission has started jerking and pinging on up shifts...I have a 2001 V70XC Awd cross country model 2.4t B5244t3 with this strange aisin box aw55-50sn geartronic manufactured 00 Mv, with 130 k miles when I bought it 2016.i know that it has a faulty gearbox in it and a faulty Throttle control module, it fluctuate on idle 650 rpm to 850 rpm sometimes higher.it has 2 to 3 delay and a mild bang into 3 gear,so I changed 3 d&f with mannol 3309.The old atf was never changed,it was dark brown almost black and it smells awful.On the magnetic drain plug there were small amount of clutch shavings or some particles,but only very small microscopic things that were magnetized on the plug not a big metallic parts, something like a small nail in diameter,,and after 300 miles I changed it again and again after another 300miles 3 D&F . also changed the upper mount and the two little ones on the crossbar, and the lower torque rod for the box,the MAF sensor and the idle was beter but still not good idling,I'll try cleaning the throttle plate to see if any improvement. Its a yellow sticker etm.After the change all was good for the winter,and when the summer came after 8k miles. I got the service transmission required on the dash.i was driving a 400miles trip on hot summer day on a hill incline with five guys and a full trunk when the transmission service came out.codes were P1618 and P0740...after that I flush it again now with genuine volvo atf 1161540-640 x 3 jugs from 4L and flushed 12 litres.and again all was good for anothet year when another summer came +40 c here in Europe. So I now have garage delayed shifts double drive engagement after one sec.and harsh R engagement.All IS GOOD WHEN Atf IS COLD FOR THE FIRSTH ONE HOUR OF DRIVING,but after 1 hour putt the gear selector in D and nothing happens like I now suddenly have the neutral and drive option,witch I never had the previous years when I drove the car( very strange because I know 01 has this feature but on this car the feature came after three years of driving the car) it has not been there before,because when I put in D the car moves forward in the previous years owning it,and now its standing still when on traffic light in hot days,when I accelerate it is starting to accelerate ,but there is jerking and like thuging feel( this happens only when hot city driving) and when this happens there is a ringing or pinging sound I guess from the transmission when changing I guess from 2 to 3 or from 3 to 4 in D. Otherwise the car drives fine, there is no updates installed,no b4 servo changed,no valve body or anything changed on this trans. I bought a magnefine in-line filter and a Finn plate oil cooler witch I plan on installing them with another flush and see what is going to happen.the car is for US market driven in new York for 12 years and its in Europe for the last 6 years,now with 156k.miles on the clock.The previous owner said to me that there is no service schedule for the gearbox and everything else is serviced in volvo dealership in USA. Guys please share yours experience and knowledge with me on this one because I ****ing love and hate this car. Not the car, the transmission is the one I hate...thanks in advance and sorry for my English.
    Last edited by dejanaleksov; 07-15-2019 at 12:39 AM.

This is the plate from the transmission
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_4833.jpg  

My 02 transmission shifted fine until the ATF warmed up to around 60C as read by my VIDA/DiCE unit. Then I would get terrible bangs making the car undriveable.
    The problem in my case was a worn valve body. I made a couple of irreversible mistakes trying to replace it with a new one but many members have done the repair successfully.

There's a good tutorial by Astro14 in the Resources section of this site. I'd provide the link but for some reason it doesn't want to open for me. (Is this a problem that the moderators should investigate?)
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Yep.

Sounds exactly like my two cars, hot fluid works poorly, and a fluid flush helps, for a bit....

The valve body rebuild fixed them up. If you choose the valve body route, you can do a new valve body (I got one for the 2001 T5 wagon from Amazon. $495. GM part. It was for a Saturn AF-33. Same transmission.). It requires a bit more work, including a solenoid swap, a spring removal, and some wiring modification, but the new valve body has been working great in the 2001.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Thanks for the reply guys.i appreciate your help,but dont have the financials for a new valve body and even if I had, I dont have the knowledge and mechanical skills for a valve body rebuild.can I make more D&F or flushes in combination with external oil cooler and magnefine filter somehow make the atf cooler and drive the car?its my only car,daily car for work...can I try something in vida like resseting the adaptation or the total can update pn30677038 or I'm just asking for trouble?
    Last edited by dejanaleksov; 07-16-2019 at 01:00 AM.

I did 3 flushes with new ATF with no improvement. I talked on the phone to a rep with an ATF cooler company and told him my plan to keep the fluid below 60C using a cooler so the trans would shift properly and he laughed.

If a worn valve body/clogged shift solenoids is your problem, I'm not sure how well any of the "bandaids" will work. You can try them but eventually your costs may approach the $$ it'll cost for a new valve body. Replacing the valve body is doable but it's also involved. Many like Astro have had success but I made some mistakes myself and now it's a parts car!
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

?
    Last edited by dejanaleksov; 07-18-2019 at 06:10 PM.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    Yep.

Sounds exactly like my two cars, hot fluid works poorly, and a fluid flush helps, for a bit....

The valve body rebuild fixed them up. If you choose the valve body route, you can do a new valve body (I got one for the 2001 T5 wagon from Amazon. $495. GM part. It was for a Saturn AF-33. Same transmission.). It requires a bit more work, including a solenoid swap, a spring removal, and some wiring modification, but the new valve body has been working great in the 2001.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Anyway thanks guys for trying to help me with mine and everyone's problem with this car.Really appreciate the help I dont know what I'll do but that gearbox is just too complex (even the dealership wont touch it) for me... Manual gearbox its also tough job for this volvo... So probably it will rest in the garage... Not trying to sell it because I dont want to screw somebody else... Dont have brain what to do... Dont have money for a new valve body...dont have skills to work on the problem...

Quote Originally Posted by dejanaleksov View Post
    Anyway thanks guys for trying to help me with mine and everyone's problem with this car.Really appreciate the help I dont know what I'll do but that gearbox is just too complex (even the dealership wont touch it) for me... Manual gearbox its also tough job for this volvo... So probably it will rest in the garage... Not trying to sell it because I dont want to screw somebody else... Dont have brain what to do... Dont have money for a new valve body...dont have skills to work on the problem...
    Your math is faulty.

Valve body: $490 from Amazon
    Good butt connectors (4): $3
    Fluid (4QT): $28
    RTV: $6

Swap the S5 solenoid from the old valve body onto the GM body: free

Remove the B5 spring from the new body: free

Splice in a bit of wire to lengthen connectors: free (after buying connectors)

It’s a very doable job.

Your willingness to spend hundreds on fluid flushes and a cooler suggests that $530 isn’t out of your reach.

Certainly fixing the car instead of jumping and buying another is the cheaper option, isn’t it?

I’ve got pictures of the GM body in my 2001 Volvo T5. It’s doing great.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Unhappy

Astro14 u r the main reason why I didn't sell the car 3 years ago when I bought it...you and oragex,vti, made In Japan,abstracte,Howard and many others helped me on maintaining this car and getting her in order. And the order list for parts was long...Immediately after buying I changed the atf and all was good with the box,so I decided to change every part thats faulty and bringing her in order... And she worked flawless.until this hot summer here in Europe +40c.And now my biggest nightmare came true the gearbox/ valve body... When I saw the gearbox and valve body complexity on you tube I was white like a ghost:-) to me it looked like an open heart surgery,and the guy dismantled the transmission only with one screwdriver :-) I removed the splashguard yesterday and the bolts on the box valve body pan were rusted and looked like I cant even make them loose ( never tried to unbolt them) dont have vida btw... I go to dealership for the vida they dont charge me they are my friends,but not very helpful friends, because they dont know the gearbox never worked on transmissions.So again astro u are giving me the courage to do a complex valve body maintenance but I'm not too sure in my self doing it...thank you very much guys for the help,but I dont know what to do? This weekend im planing to d&f once again and put a in-line magnefine and atf cooler and see from there on? Wtf ???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_5367.jpg  

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast