Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Take the axle off, and locate a driveshaft rebuilder in your locality and take it in and get it balanced, most driveshaft rebuilders can handle balancing rebuilt axles quite well.
    Last edited by AKAMick; 09-10-2016 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMick View Post
    Take the axle off, and locate a driveshaft rebuilder in your locality and take it in and get it balanced, most driveshaft rebuilders can handle balancing rebuilt axles quite well.
    That's not a bad idea. I just installed an O'Reilly rebuilt axle this morning. It's better than the Autozone rebuilt one, but the vibration is still there under hard acceleration. That's 3 rebuilds I've tried all with varying degrees of improvement. I might try to have this one balanced as you recommended. Otherwise I just might keep this one on for a while and then bite the bullet and get an OEM Volvo Axle.

@ 0-30 MPH - Balance is not the problem, shaft is spinning too slow to feel. It's the (lack of ) quality in the CV joints that causes the vibration.

This is a peculiar situation as other model cars that have had the CV axles replaced by aftermarket axles rarely seem to have the problem that Volvos seem to experience,

I went to replace my driver's side axle and couldn't get it out. Tried everything short of the slide hammer trick. Didn't hear about that until I'd given up and put the car back together. Ended up taking it to a local mechanic that does work on Volvo's. I got a after market axle from parts geek. Ended up being a new empire axle. Can an axle make a whining nose? Didn't notice on the way home from the shop, but the next day on the way home from work I started hearing a whining between 30-45mph coming from the driver's front. Anyone had this problem?
    Last edited by ColdFront; 09-11-2016 at 04:24 PM.

Same here....GREAT luck with the MasterPro. Also, it eliminated my front end acceleration shuddering 100%. Would recommend. Lifetime warranty to boot....
    "Call on god, but row away from the rocks..."

Hunter S. Thompson

I put on new Empi's from FCP and the inner right boot started to throw grease immediately - within a year it was shaking - in a pinch, I put on whatever Advance had on the shelf and it has been fine. The Empi actually came apart as the tech removed it.
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

I know it's been a while, but I thought I would update this since I did end up having the vibration issue resolved.

After about switching out on my own the right front axle about 4 times with differing after market axles, I finally gave up and had a local indy shop put in a new Volvo axle. That one axle replacement literally cost me more money than all of the other put together. They are a pretty penny. But I am happy to say that it has since fixed the problem. I mean the vibration went away immediately.

The Wagon has a ton of miles on it and it was hard to spend so much money on it at this point, but we are taking a 1500 mile round trip this holiday so I thought it would be money well spent.

Lesson learned. If you want a problem fixed properly Genuine Volvo Parts are probably the way to go when it comes to axles.

I hope this helps anyone with a similar issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12