Default my new to me 2000 v70 xc

hi all, i just bought this 2000 v70 xc se bout a week ago...

it seems to be in good condition, i have looked high n low and can't find anything wrong with it. it has 103,000 miles. po says he had timing belt changed along with all fluids and cleaned out the pvc system. this is my first volvo, so if there is anything i should look for i would appreciate a heads up. i don't plan on changing much. i will keep it stock aside from a hitch. i need to be able to pull a small trailer (4x8) with a dirt bike.

guess a question i have is when i add the hitch i will add a trans cooler as well. should i leave trans lines hooked to rad or bypass the rad and just run external cooler?

i have only run 1 tank of fuel through it so far but fuel mileage was 24.6 mpg. i was hoping for mid 20's so i am ok with that. hope that is normal.

i am replacing these 2 vehicles with the volvo..

they are both awd, and... both are for sale..

I would ask for the timing belt receipts, you NEED to see them.
    It's 14-15 years old and if what he said was BS you have a time bomb and it needs to be replaced (with both tensioners)
    Check the PCV, (breather box), change the tranny fluid ASAP.

If all you're towing is less than 500 lbs. you should be fine, just keep the fluid CLEAN
    If you're towing up long hills then a cooler night be a good idea.

Looks decent, consider painting the bumpers and install Akebono Euro ceramic pads, at least in the front, no brake dust!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    I would ask for the timing belt receipts, you NEED to see them.
    It's 14-15 years old and if what he said was BS you have a time bomb and it needs to be replaced (with both tensioners)
    Check the PCV, (breather box), change the tranny fluid ASAP.[/B][/U]
    must be something to those particular maint items as he stressed how important they were (just as you did) and assured me they were just done. and how expensive the tranny fluid was. and how convenient it was to have an actual drain plug in trans pan. also how annoyed he was to complete these items only to have his wife fall in love with a pt cruiser.... she just had to have. lol...

fluid is cheap insurance. i will change it, even though i believe he just did it. maybe i will add the cooler same time. reason i asked about the trans cooler seperate from trans is i heard problems with seams in tank coming apart and coolant mixing with trans fluid roaching trans in process, so... figured i would ask.

i don't know how hard these timing belts are to replace but i have changed em on every vehicle i have owned so far with no real trouble, so i will look at that as well. he explained to me in detail how he cleaned pcv system but i can't remember it all. he liked to talk, and over loaded me with all kinds of info as he and his son are big volvo fans. i don't know squat about volvos, but so long as i can pull a small(ish) trailer with a light load and it doesn't cost a fortune to own/maintain... i will keep it. so far... i like it.

There are backyard tests to give you an idea on the breather pressure (PCV)
    Trans fluid expensive? Hardly on these cars, 3 bucks or so a bottle for Dex 3
    T Belt takes less time on a Volvo than most cars but can be tricky so take care

2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Default my 2000 XC V70 looks different...

Hi, nice car!

I also just bought a V70 2.4 Classic AWD XC70....

I'm in London, England and for some strange reason my car looks a lot different than yours, possibly because of the USA/UK differences or maybe the dude I bought mine from is confused about what year it is?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	volvoXCv70.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	6601

ok, i did a bit of more reading... it seems the new body style (the sides by the door window sills stick out and the protruding bit is rounded and the engine hood is more curvy - basically the 90 degree angles/squared off / straight panels are now rounded off and curvy) was released in 2000 so i guess it can be a 2000... also i searched 2000 XC V70's and both my model and this squared design came up...

hmm... my car was first registered in September 2000

I guess it is possible the Yanks didn't get the new body style till 2001?

whatever year it is, the car drives beautifully... my other car is a 1968 Dodge Charger (it is still in USA)

I'm partial to the square pre-2001 look though...

so, as far as what forum section to post in, should I be posting in the 2001 section?

here is an example of what looks like a "curvy" model being listed as a 2000 year model... http://www.autoplenum.de/Auto/VOLVO/...-id285931.html
    Last edited by Instigator; 10-26-2014 at 10:52 PM.

That's a 2001 in the US but could be a 2000 in GB
    Depends on when it was first registered

"Some strange reason"?
    It's an entirely different car and I would read up on 2001s, their problems and their (VERY bad) transmissions!!!!!

Oh and start your own post, don't piggyback on someone else's

i did start my own thread but it hasn't appeared... who do i talk to about this? I has several questions in my post... argh...