Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2002 XC70 90k Service -- Recommendations

I have an 02 XC70 with a few miles shy of 90k on the odometer. I'm the original owner - and have had all the maintainance done on schedule.

The car has been pretty rock solid. No tranny issues. A bad plug issue that was fixed a few thousand miles ago by swapping in new plug and changing the wires. Leaky seal on the turbo that was fixed 60k miles ago.

We use the car around town -- the usual kid ferrying from here to there. Plenty of two and three mile drives with multiple stops.

Any recommendations for the 90k service in addition to the filters and fluids that the manual recommends? I think I'll replace the tranny fluid; from reading the forums, that seems like the thing to do. Anything else? Looks like the timing belt is due in 15k miles, but I've read about others who moved that replacement up a bit.

Also -- I've got a clunking noise from the driver front side when I go over a bump. Other than that, the car rides fine. Still on the original shocks. Is it time?

Thanks for any advice. This is an incredible resource.

Mark

I have an 02' as well with 102,000 on it. Mine has a few issues that need to be addressed, one of which is front upper tie rod ends, which is common on these! I'd be willing too bet that's your clunk! Also, I would only use a good synthetic oil in these cars, like Mobil 1 or Rotella T 5w-40, as these cars tend too run sludgy if you don't!

Replace angle gear fluid, rear diff fluid

clunk is probably endlinks since they occur over the bumps. Control arm bushings are probably shot too. Inner tie rods might have play like Matt said. Only inner tie rods will cause tire wear issues. The other items are just bothersome noises and loss of a little bit of handling.

Timing belt/tensioner/idler is due at 7 years or 105k miles. You might consider that soon.

If you have the car in at the chop, ask them to check your PCV system for clog. You can get really expensive leak repairs if it is clogged as the oil will push its way out of several seals.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Amen Howard! I'm due for most of the stuff you mentioned! Also check your upper engine mount/stabilizer! They rot out around this mileage!

Default Thanks

Appreciate your feedback.

I think I'll do the timing belt. That seems smart considering the cost vs what happens if that belt fails. And while it's up on the rack, I'll have a look at the tie rods and bushings -- to see if the clunk goes away.

Not sure about the shocks, though. The car rides fine with the exception of the clunk.

Quote Originally Posted by matt4960 View Post
    I have an 02' as well with 102,000 on it. Mine has a few issues that need to be addressed, one of which is front upper tie rod ends, which is common on these! I'd be willing too bet that's your clunk! Also, I would only use a good synthetic oil in these cars, like Mobil 1 or Rotella T 5w-40, as these cars tend too run sludgy if you don't!
    German Castrol 0W30 would be a sweet oil in it too, but the Shell Rotella T is an outstanding oil in its own rights as well, and is great for cleaning as it is rated for heavy duty (read: diesel).

Oh forgot one more thing

Flushing the PS fluid is probably a good idea too at 90k miles. Make sure the shop use CHF-11S stead of ATF (says in the owner's manual but it is wrong)
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6

And the maintenance $ tally rolls up! I was hoping this wouldn't eat my ENTIRE tax return, But it probably will! Oh well, better safe than sorry. Definitely do the timing belt! These are interference engines, so a broken belt means broken valves.

Just FYI.

I've read the timing belt typically outlast the tensioner and idler bearings. But once they go, the belt goes too. So def replace the tensioner + idler with the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by howardc64 View Post

If you have the car in at the chop, ask them to check your PCV system for clog. You can get really expensive leak repairs if it is clogged as the oil will push its way out of several seals.
    Any how-to on this one? I'd like to look at it tomorrow while I replace the leaky turbo seal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast