Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2005 XC Reduced Engine Performance

Hi all,

Can anyone give me some diagnostic tips on how to determine the cause for my reduced engine performance light coming on?

Info: I had just warmed up the car for a few minutes, driven about 300m and while accelerating from a light, power cut out with a message saying reduced engine performance. I pulled over, turned the car off and back on - no longer a problem. It hasn't been long since that happened, and it hasn't happened more than once.

What should I do to investigate? Thanks!

Travis

2005 Volvo XC
    2005 Volvo XC70

Could it have something to do with the MAF sensor? How reliable are those on the 2005 year? The ETM seems to be reliable as compared to the early 2000 editions, so I'm looking in other directions. The problem hasn't happened again, and I'm not worried about if it happens again while I'm driving - I just worry about my wife. I'd rather get it solved before another 'attack' so that she doesn't have to be nervous about driving the car anywhere.
    2005 Volvo XC70

There are several possibilities. MAF is one of them. Cleaning it might help. It might not. Sometimes, MAFs go bad...

Guessing isn't really a good method of troubleshooting. Get the codes read, preferably by a VIDA/DiCe machine and someone who knows Volvos.

If this car is new to you, then baseline it. Change fluids, filters (oil, air, fuel) and spark plugs.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    There are several possibilities. MAF is one of them. Cleaning it might help. It might not. Sometimes, MAFs go bad...

Guessing isn't really a good method of troubleshooting. Get the codes read, preferably by a VIDA/DiCe machine and someone who knows Volvos.

If this car is new to you, then baseline it. Change fluids, filters (oil, air, fuel) and spark plugs.
    Amen.
    Throwing lots of parts at a problem will bankrupt you, and not help the car...I know.

It is possible that even a cheap code reader or the "free read" at neighborhood auto parts store might tell you the problem.
    But it might take VIDA/DiCe...

Could be any one of a plethora or items: a cracked vacuum hose, fouled PCV system, an intermittently failing coil, fouled plug, bad gas, stopped up fuel filter, one of many sundry sensors failing, plugged injector, etc., etc...
    *2005 Ice White XC70
    444K miles and...well...
    Driving the 08 V70 right now.

"Ah! There is nothing like the smell of burning British electrical components in the morning!"

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightt View Post
    Amen.
    Throwing lots of parts at a problem will bankrupt you, and not help the car...I know.

It is possible that even a cheap code reader or the "free read" at neighborhood auto parts store might tell you the problem.
    But it might take VIDA/DiCe...

Could be any one of a plethora or items: a cracked vacuum hose, fouled PCV system, an intermittently failing coil, fouled plug, bad gas, stopped up fuel filter, one of many sundry sensors failing, plugged injector, etc., etc...
    Would a MAF removal/cleaning and reinstall be a bad thing to do? The cans of MAF cleaner are about 10 bucks - I will likely get it read later this week regardless, but should I go ahead with the cleaning?
    2005 Volvo XC70

The reduced engine performance message came on again this morning - right after start up while idling. I turned off the car and restarted, it went away. Drives with no problems. I cleaned the MAF this afternoon - hopefully that was enough, if it happens one more time its Vida/dice time. There are no stored messages in the message centre, and no continual warning lights.
    2005 Volvo XC70

Quote Originally Posted by tmurph05 View Post
    The reduced engine performance message came on again this morning - right after start up while idling. I turned off the car and restarted, it went away. Drives with no problems. I cleaned the MAF this afternoon - hopefully that was enough, if it happens one more time its Vida/dice time. There are no stored messages in the message centre, and no continual warning lights.
    Is your check engine light on? Looks like you don't have many options in North Bay but a quick search shows that Parolin Euro Auto should have the right equipment to read any stored codes and this is essential, given your problem. A generic code reader won't help. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by pmortxc70 View Post
    Is your check engine light on? Looks like you don't have many options in North Bay but a quick search shows that Parolin Euro Auto should have the right equipment to read any stored codes and this is essential, given your problem. A generic code reader won't help. Good luck.

No check engine light. I have a guy at ABC Auto Center who knows quite a bit about european imports (and is a little cheaper than Parolin's) who will likely read it for me later this week.
    2005 Volvo XC70

Unless they have VIDA they can't read any stored codes
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Unless they have VIDA they can't read any stored codes
    Right.

Had similar symptoms, but with rough start (long cranking). It was the RPM/crankshaft sensor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast