Default AWD not working properly (VIDA codes)

Hi, for a while now I have noticed that it can sometimes take a long time before the awd kicks in when my front tires are slipping. In addition, sometimes the awd won't engaged at all or will only do so intermittently. Sometime When accelerating from stand still I get a jolt coming from the back of the car, as if all of a sudden the awd had engaged, and today it wasn't just a jolt, but a succession on jolts as if i were going over a rumble strip. My car is a 2003 XC70 and from what I've read in the forums this car shouldn't be experiencing any torque steer or sleeping on acceleration. I usually drive like a grandpa so really I don't understand why the AWD drive system can't keep up. Anyway I recently had local shop give me a VIDA printout for all the stored error codes and this is what I got:

DEM-0006 Pump Faulty signal
    DEM-0007 Hydraulic Pressure Faulty Signal

I also got these other codes:

BCM-0065 Stop (brake) lamp switch Signal outside its permitted range
    CCM-00200 Air quality sensor signal low
    CCM-E003 Configuration fault Faulty configuration
    CCM-001F Air quality sensor Signal too high
    CEM-8C15 Relay, front fog lamp Signal missing
    DDM-0024 Mirror motor MX+ Signal to low
    PDM-002B Mirror motor MC Signal too low

I don't know what the brake lamp code means or the mirror code since both work fine. The air quality sensor I don't care about

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    2003 xc70 210,000km+

Don't worry about the other codes, ALL these cars have some stores codes, (but you may need a new brake switch soon)
    However, it looks as if your DEM module is shot or at least it needs to be looked at.
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Hi,
    codes are related to Haldex awd unit, has the unit been serviced? oil change or filter change possibly every 50k km?

- inside DEM there is a combined temp&pressure sensor (blocked or dead) which can be fairly easily replaced
    - with 178k km also the pump might be worn out, more tricky to replace as the cardan rear end needs to be off for access to pump
    I had to replace my pump at 135k km & oil and filter chaged, the temp&pressure sensor is still original.
    I didn't figure out how to test the pump in it's place.

br Tapsa
    V70D5AWD-06
    Last edited by tapanitja; 03-15-2013 at 01:40 AM. Reason: typo

is it something you can fix yourself or do you need VIDA or special tools?
    2003 xc70 210,000km+

Also, I have never serviced this unit, I didn't even know you could service it. Also can you buy these parts online?
    2003 xc70 210,000km+

Quote Originally Posted by sinabd View Post
    Hi, for a while now I have noticed that it can sometimes take a long time before the awd kicks in when my front tires are slipping. In addition, sometimes the awd won't engaged at all or will only do so intermittently. Sometime When accelerating from stand still I get a jolt coming from the back of the car, as if all of a sudden the awd had engaged, and today it wasn't just a jolt, but a succession on jolts as if i were going over a rumble strip. My car is a 2003 XC70 and from what I've read in the forums this car shouldn't be experiencing any torque steer or sleeping on acceleration. I usually drive like a grandpa so really I don't understand why the AWD drive system can't keep up. Anyway I recently had local shop give me a VIDA printout for all the stored error codes and this is what I got:

I also got these other codes:

BCM-0065 Stop (brake) lamp switch Signal outside its permitted range
    CCM-00200 Air quality sensor signal low
    CCM-E003 Configuration fault Faulty configuration
    CCM-001F Air quality sensor Signal too high
    CEM-8C15 Relay, front fog lamp Signal missing
    DDM-0024 Mirror motor MX+ Signal to low
    PDM-002B Mirror motor MC Signal too low

I don't know what the brake lamp code means or the mirror code since both work fine. The air quality sensor I don't care about

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    DEM Codes: Bad pressure/temp sensor, as others previously mentioned. Could also be failed/failing DEM module. $$$.

CCM-AIQS Codes: Bad IAQS sensor, or loose connection somewhere. Rather expensive part to fix, but can be done yourself if you wanted. $$.

CCM-E003: No idea... Never seen that one before, but possibly need to do a reload on the CCM module. $.

DDM Code: Your mirrors may work, but does the defrost/heating element work in both mirrors? Also, how bad is the code? You need to check the details to see how often it occurs. I literally just had this exact code fixed two days ago (under extended warranty), and all I needed was a new piece of glass (which is combined with the heating element). They swapped the glass, and the code disappeared. Was like a $90 part, and took maybe 15-20 minutes tops. $.

PDM Code: Could be one of any number of things... but again, I'd check the frequency of the DTC within VIDA. That can really help narrow down the problems.

BCM Code: Do you have DTSC on your car? If so, it will not function until this DTC is corrected, unless it's extremely intermittent, and the fault was only found once or twice, and not every drive cycle. This is a VERY IMPORTANT DTC to track down. Without proper feedback from this sensor, everything from the ABS/STC/DSTC and even the Haldex system *may* not function correctly. It may simply be a bad sensor (and relatively easy to replace if it is), or you may need to readjust the physical connection of the brake pedal to the sensor. In addition, there's a special "tool" within VIDA to test this. I believe it's under the "advanced" tab on the BCM module under "diagnostics" and then "communication". You can check to see if the sensor is working correctly there. Again, this one sensor is an integral portion of many safety systems within the car, so I'd put this and the DEM codes at the highest priority over everything else.

Take care!

Where you able to pull the pump current and pressure from VIDA?

Default Haldex oil & pump

Quote Originally Posted by sinabd View Post
    is it something you can fix yourself or do you need VIDA or special tools?
    Hi, sorry for late response but yes it is diy doable if you get the cardan rear end joint off.
    Just have a look here
    http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/vbpicg...do=view&g=2465
    br Tapsa

Thanks for all the replies, you guys are awesome!

I didn't get the pump current and pressure since I don't have VIDA, my mechanic simply gave me a printout. Sometimes when the AWD kicks I hear a ratcheting/grinding noise and it sounds like it's coming from the angle gear (or abs). When I bought the car the angle gear was leaking fluid so I had it resealed and so far it hasn't leaked since then (I last checked in February).

Anyway I can deal with flaky AWD, but my main concern is that a faulty AWD might damage other parts of the drivetrain. Is this a valid concern?

Also: my car doesn't have DTSC
    2003 xc70 210,000km+