Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by br0dy View Post
    Sort of off-topic but I believe I'm chasing a misfire with no CEL myself. Is there an effective way I can use VIDA to tell whether my car is misfiring or not (without showing a code) ? Sorry for the n00b question..
    I don't have any insider info on the ECU software. But my recent experience with misfires (fixed by new plugs and coils) is you can have random misfires without any DTC thrown. My suspicion is that the Misfire DTC looks for a repeating misfire on the same cylinder. If you pulled the coil off one spark-plug, and started up, that should throw a Misfire DTC. The Check Engine Light shows automatically once any engine-related DTC is activated. Bottom line: no DTC, VIDA can't help.

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
    I don't have any insider info on the ECU software. But my recent experience with misfires (fixed by new plugs and coils) is you can have random misfires without any DTC thrown. My suspicion is that the Misfire DTC looks for a repeating misfire on the same cylinder. If you pulled the coil off one spark-plug, and started up, that should throw a Misfire DTC. The Check Engine Light shows automatically once any engine-related DTC is activated. Bottom line: no DTC, VIDA can't help.

Drat. I expected an answer similar to this. I just wasn't sure if I could use the plotting/graphing function on some sensor in order to monitor anything in order to add the human element and say "aha theres a misfire!" ... I just replaced all my plugs last year perhaps I should look at the coils. Maybe I'll start by just ohming them out and making sure i dont have a short or ground fault. Typical millenial here looking for an easy answer without throwing $250 at it LOL
    Hers- 04 XC70 2.5T, 300KM
    His- 04 S60 2.4, 310KM

Sort of off-topic but I believe I'm chasing a misfire with no CEL myself. Is there an effective way I can use VIDA to tell whether my car is misfiring or not (without showing a code) ? Sorry for the n00b question..
    Not every condition causes a trouble code to be generated. A couple of years ago, I had a fuel pump issue that starved the engine and caused it to stutter and nearly stall occasionally. No codes at all were generated by that condition.

Quote Originally Posted by goldxc70 View Post
    Not every condition causes a trouble code to be generated. A couple of years ago, I had a fuel pump issue that starved the engine and caused it to stutter and nearly stall occasionally. No codes at all were generated by that condition.
    Yes your post is what led me to start looking towards fuel delivery. Don't want to hijack this thread. But here are my symptoms: some days it doesn't start on first crank... it starts/turns over after a hard crank for about a .5 second then sputters and dies. Second crank it turns over just fine and runs. When cruising highway 3 down here (about ~95km/h on cruise control), I get very intermittent hesitation/lurching. Engine feels warmer than usual to touch but no coolant loss, and no guage irregularity.

One morning i decided to change the fuel filter on a cold engine. When I depressed the shrader valve at the filter absolutely no fuel came out (no pressure right?) .. this is leading to believe that it's the pump at fault here. Wish I had a fuel guage, maybe I'll check if I can rent one at Carquest. More and more I'm looking towards the pump. I'm going to check demand levels tomorrow on my DiCE.
    His- 04 S60 2.4, 310KM

I'm going to check demand levels tomorrow on my DiCE.
    Well, that didn't help anything. I am unable to read fuel pump demand % in VIDA... I monitor the parameter and it returns no value. Great. Also I have no option under the 'advanced' tab to run the "quick fuel pump test".

Only issue I saw in VIDA was " ECM-928C Control module communication problems." Cleared and didn't come back. Looks like I'm going to troubleshoot the old fashioned way.
    His- 04 S60 2.4, 310KM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12