Page 145 of 150 FirstFirst ... 4595135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1494

Default Angle gear replacement

After living with a leaking angle gear for the last 9 years or so the pinion bearing finally blew. Took the angle gear off only to finally find the source of the leak - a cracked case! I'm pretty sure I had that crack for a long time, my gear oil was always dirty no matter how often I changed it which presumably wore down the pinion bearing to the point of failure. New angle gear was $160 from local recycler

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	le7mLC.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	8805

My driver's door interior handle suddenly disengaged from the cable rendering it useless. I removed the door panel and found that the pivot pin had worked its way upward and this was causing the handle to pull at an odd angle. I had to drill a little hole in the plastic above it (inside the door panel and not on the outside and worked it back into place with a small screwdriver. Problem solved!

Engine oil and filter change, rear diff fluid change (draining was easy... it was alread dry!), angle gear oil change (angle gear was replaced a few years ago), passenger side sway bar link (casualty of ->), passenger side axle (to address a failed CV joint), top rear motor mount. Drivers side wheel bearing (previous owner paid for this, and a new windshield done by the dealer in Kingston). Brake fluid change, all new tie-rods (about a month ago), and of course another alignment (also all covered by the previous owner). Perks of buying the in-laws old car.

I have all the service records, but I have a lot of questions of why certain things were not done regularly, or at all... dealer "maintained".

Still want to change the trans fluid, I think I will either do the Gibbons method (as discussed on this site), or drain the pan, and re-fill over the next few weeks. I don't have a record of a flush ever being done and the car has 245,000+ kms (~153,000 miles), and the fluid is real dark. Level is good, shifts fine. Although I don't know what a new one shifts like. Last few of my cars have been manual transmission, so nothing to really compare it to.

Also want to service the AOC/Haldex in the near future. Probably do a filter and fluid. Again, no records of any work being done on this either.

Almost all the fluids!
    Engine oil & filter, angle gear, rear diff (was empty, made for a quick job...)
    Top rear engine mount
    Passenger side axle, and sway bar end link passenger side.

245,000kms on this new to me V70XC. I assume when Volvo says that diff oil never needs to be changed, they meant it would eventually leak out after 14 years, requiring only a top up? Angle gear was replaced a few years ago by the previous owner, as it as leaked all it's fluid and grenade'd (from what I understand).

Great site, lots of useful articles and reference material!

Last Sunday spent all day in the garage with the '07. At 180,000km:

It got new timing belt, idler, and tensioner.
    New serpentine belt and tensioner (old pulley was just about ready to pop).
    Removed the right front caliper as it was sticky. Found that the caliper had rusted around one of the rubber grommets that the slider pins go through. The rust made the inside diameter of the grommet smaller so the pin wouldn't move freely.
    Pushed out the grommet and cleaned out the hole in the caliper with a round file. Got a ton of rust off it. Then put it all back together - stops straighter now.

Front pads and rotors, trans torque mount, and a microphone for my JVC stereo so I can use Bluetooth calling. 171k on my 06 xc70.

Replaced the transmission Valve Body on my '02 v70xc to finally solve the well-known shift flare and crappy shifts. Well worth the time and effort!

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMick View Post
    Did you use the transgo kit?
    No. I sourced a rebuilt Sonnax AW55VL(VBX) Transmission Valve Body (Volvo) AW55-50SN on ebay for $265.00. I got the B code valve body(A code was the original) and took out the B5 spring and did the wireing harness mod.

I had really labored over how to go about fixing my transmission. Transgo kit, Rostra Solenoid kit, rebuilt Sonnax AW55-50 valve body or the GM/AC Delco New valve body. But the rebuilt i.e. cheaper Sonnax won out.

I took some time off from work and two full days later its like a I have a new car!

Over the weekend, I replaced the timing belt, timing belt tensioner & idler, water pump, drive belt and tensioner, entire PCV system, and spark plugs.

It had a fresh oil change not long ago. But in a couple hundred miles I will change the oil and filter again just to make sure anything that got in the system from the PCV change is gone. I will also do the transmission fluid again. I'm doing it little by little as it was pretty dark when I got the car. So just draining 4 quarts via the plug and replacing. Then driving for a couple thousand and doing it again. Hopefully it is a smoother transition to new fluid that way.

So I just got the windows tinted last night. Not the best pics, but it's what I have right now. But no longer feels like I'm driving a giant fish bowl.