Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AWD Bad Noise

Default AWD Bad Noise

I know that their are posts on this subject but I could not get the search to give me any so I apologize for asking a question that has been answered numerous times but...

I parked my xc in about 6" of crusty month old ice/snow today and got stuck!

Once the front tires started to slip a grinding noise appeared to be coming from directly under the car directly below the dash. It would seem that this noise comes when the awd tries to transfer power to the other wheels like the system is supposed to do.

I have seen vids of awd volvos getting stuck with only the front tires spinning and nothing going to the rear. I feared that this was the end of my awd system but I opened the door and looked behind me to see the left rear tire spinning trying to get traction on the slippery ice.

I am wondering what part is broken because it seems that the awd functions under normal driving conditions (the 95-5 front bias split), but when power transfer is required a grinding noise appears and it does not appear that any power is shifted around the system but the normal distribution of power remains. Bevel gear? Viscous Coupling part? an Entire VC assembly? I can't imagine the grinding noise is normal.

Which part is responsible for transferring power?

122,000 miles bought used 1.5 months ago, warranty just expired
    White 1998 V70 XC Stock for NOW!

Dreams-
    Finish Stage 0, iPD ECU, EST/iPD Dual Exhaust, downpipe, 16T, rear wing, iPD sways, Quickbrick end links, strut brace. I think that will make a pretty fun XC-R!

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I know that their are posts on this subject but I could not get the search to give me any so I apologize for asking a question that has been answered numerous times but...

I parked my xc in about 6" of crusty month old ice/snow today and got stuck!

Once the front tires started to slip a grinding noise appeared to be coming from directly under the car directly below the dash. It would seem that this noise comes when the awd tries to transfer power to the other wheels like the system is supposed to do.

I have seen vids of awd volvos getting stuck with only the front tires spinning and nothing going to the rear. I feared that this was the end of my awd system but I opened the door and looked behind me to see the left rear tire spinning trying to get traction on the slippery ice.

I am wondering what part is broken because it seems that the awd functions under normal driving conditions (the 95-5 front bias split), but when power transfer is required a grinding noise appears and it does not appear that any power is shifted around the system but the normal distribution of power remains. Bevel gear? Viscous Coupling part? an Entire VC assembly? I can't imagine the grinding noise is normal.

Which part is responsible for transferring power?

122,000 miles bought used 1.5 months ago, warranty just expired
    It could be either the bevel gear or the driveshaft.
    When the driveshaft joints fail they can make some AWFUL noises especially under a load

Any tips for checking the drive-shaft? Is it noticeable from under the car? I can only assume that if I can eliminate the drive-shaft as the source it means bevel gear failure right? Are those the only two possibilities? Is it bad to continue driving the vehicle as it only makes the noise when the awd system is under load? Thanks

Dreams-
    Finish Stage 0, iPD ECU, EST/iPD Dual Exhaust, downpipe, 16T, rear wing, iPD sways, Quickbrick end links, strut brace. I think that will make a pretty fun XC-R!

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Any tips for checking the drive-shaft? Is it noticeable from under the car? I can only assume that if I can eliminate the drive-shaft as the source it means bevel gear failure right? Are those the only two possibilities? Is it bad to continue driving the vehicle as it only makes the noise when the awd system is under load? Thanks
    Not great. It should be checked as soon as possible
    Last edited by JRL; 02-08-2007 at 08:53 PM.

Alright thanks for the advice. I gotta make a short drive tomorrow morning and then I will take it by my shop and see what they have to say about it. I'm kinda dreading the worst now.

Dreams-

So I took my car to my indie shop and he said he drove it in the snow and tried to make the noise. Said the noise that he was hearing came from the front driveshaft at the front differential. SO he took off the u-joint and repacked it full of grease. We shall see if that solved the problem.

Oh and is it normal for a shop to charge you for checking and diagnosing a CEL? i got slapped with a 45 dollar charge just to have them turn off a check engine light that was tripped when I cleaned my MAF the other day. I am afraid of what they might charge me to turn off the routine service light that is now on.

Dreams-

Totally normal for the charge that is cheap even for an indie. The Volvo dealership will charge 110. for around 55-60 USD you can buy your own scanner off e-bay.

Interesting write-up. My 2000 XC creates the identical noise under the same circumstances.

Ya I am starting to realize that it is a common issue among first gen awd volvos. There was a great thread on swedespeed about it with a lot of guys over there complaining about the same problem. I will find it some time today and post a link. The consensus over there was that the noise is normal. I don't know if I buy that though.

Dreams-

Does this sound at all similar to power steering noise but louder and only when it gets warm?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast