Default My01 xc70 awd B5244t3

The cyliderhead needs refacing = I am going to get it checked at an egineering workshop tomorrow. It did not suffer overheating and the valves are in good condition. I am worried about how much metal can be machined away as the tollerances specified in Vida are very tight: lengthwise max 0.5mm 0.001968" and crosswise max0,2mm 0.007874". If the shop want to machine more than that is there anything can be done to mitigate? I have read that heads can be bolted to a thick steel plate and held at 500 degrees for several hours before being cooled down naturally which sometimes lessens warpage. If a donor head and its partner head cover are used does it have to be machined to fit the camshafts or what? All information welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbw View Post
    I have read that heads can be bolted to a thick steel plate and held at 500 degrees for several hours before being cooled down naturally which sometimes lessens warpage.
    What you describe is what I know as "straightening" the head. Every head I send to the machine shop that is remotely warped has that done to it. The problem with a warped overhead cam head - is the top is warped also. So the cams are trying to spin in holes that are not aligned with each other. I think that's not a good thing and straightening might fix that. The machine shop explained that a complete valve job is needed after heating the head up "because things move around"! Made sense to me because I would certainly squirm if bolted to a flat plate and heated to 500 degrees or so for a few hours.