Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A few questions.....

I have a few questions about this new used car. 2000 Volvo V70 Cross Country. Much appreciated for all the responses....

1. All wheel drive dosen't seem to be working. Rear wheels are not spinning. Got stuck in the snow trying to back out of a slightly uphill driveway. Called the dealership and they mentioned something about a bushing need to be replaced. They said its fairly common. Any ideas and can it be fixed myself?

2. Is there a good Chilton/Haynes manual? Need a wiring diagram along with some other things.

3. Code Reader- Is there a responsible one on ebay etc...

Thanks in advance for any responses.

A bushing?

2000s have an old fashioned Viscous Coupling AWD, all MECHANICAL
    and these don't always work properly such as trying to get out of snow, etc.
    How long have you had this XC?
    What is the mileage?
    Has anyone looked to see if it has a propshaft at all?
    A propshaft costs $1000 for a new one! and since these are old cars, sometimes when they go bad, (they DO go bad) many owners just pull them and run FWD as it doesn't hurt anything.
    Same with the bevel gear.

You can buy a decent code reader almost anywhere.
    Pep Boys sells a decent one among other stores.

What do you (think you) need a wiring diagram for?

Quote Originally Posted by 00v70xc View Post
    I have a few questions about this new used car. 2000 Volvo V70 Cross Country. Much appreciated for all the responses....

1. All wheel drive dosen't seem to be working. Rear wheels are not spinning. Got stuck in the snow trying to back out of a slightly uphill driveway. Called the dealership and they mentioned something about a bushing need to be replaced. They said its fairly common. Any ideas and can it be fixed myself?
    A bushing? Sounds kind of odd...Power leaves the trans and hits the bevel gear,
    leaves the BG at a 90 deg angle to rotate the rear drive shaft, then it hits the
    Viscous Coupling that actually "engages" the rear diff.
    As Jim pointed out, many have abused the system with mismatched tires
    or an unloved BG and killed the AWD. That's usually when shafts get removed...
    SO - first off? look for the driveshaft!

2. Is there a good Chilton/Haynes manual? Need a wiring diagram along with some other things.
    Volvo uses the VADIS CD's for cars of this vintage. Widely available. Check eBay.
    Wiring? Super easy at MVS:
    http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/volvo-wiring-diagrams/
    3. Code Reader- Is there a responsible one on ebay etc...

Thanks in advance for any responses.
    For "generic" codes used with ALL post '95 vehicles, ANY OBD ll scanner is fine.
    A basic unit will handle most critical codes. Volvo, like all of the car companies, also has
    their own proprietary codes for sub systems. That gets a bit more involved...

'98 " Last of the Good Ones!" V70 R
    Upsolute ECU - E-Codes/SilverStars - ArcticGrade Oil Lines - HD SkidPlate - Spoiler - XC Grill -

Wow, thanks for the information. You guys sound very knowledgeable, unfortunately for my pocketbook. Our family mechanic looked at it and really is not that familiar with Volvo's. So that's when he called the dealership to ask some questions. Maybe I misheard him about a "bushing". I do hear a clunk in the back when coming to a stop sometimes. Maybe this helps diagnose?? We just got the car about 3 months ago. Car was used with a short warranty. It's my wife's car and she likes it and I really want her in AWD for saftey. So we might have to pay up. So a $1000.00 is the cheapest option. Should I take it to the dealership to diagnose for sure?

Wiring diagram is to find the issue with the rear windshield wiper. Mechanic thought it might be a relay??

OBD II Scanner- I don't have a PEP Boys but I have most of the other places like that. Are there any other decent ones? Can these OBD II scanners read most vehicles and then you just look up the codes on the net?

Again all the help is much appreciated!

Your wiring harness is broken in the rear, thie is common from opening and closing the hatch
    There was a recent write up over at matthews with pictures on how to repair it.
    www.matthewsvolvosite.com
    Or... the actual motor is broken, that too happens. You can buy used from erie
    www.erievovo.com

Default Link For Fix

Read the entire thread below...I posted how to do this repair. If you have any questions let me know. It is the same for the rear wiper, brake light etc....

http://www.v70xc.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=8pack

http://www.v70xc.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=8pack
    2020 Subaru Outback XT - Pearl White Loaded-huge improvement over 2013!
    1955 Ford F-250 - 223 IL6, 4 Speed with Granny Gear, 109 HP, 4.88 Rear
    2017 Maserati Ghibli - Blu Emozione - GONE!
    2013 2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    2007 2007 XC70, Barents Blue, Charcoal Leather 215k miles
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque
    My build thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276139

Thanks for all the links to fixing the rear wiper. Does anyone have anymore thoughts about the AWD issue. TIA

Could be the bushing that is at the mount for the viscous coupling.
    When that goes bad it can clunk.
    If everything else seems fine, have that checked out

The cheapest option may be much less than $1,000. Colorado Drive Shaft re-manufactures and balances Volvo propeller shafts and can send you a rebuilt one. 1998-1999 shafts are just $435, but their website doesn't list the cost of a 2000 model shaft.

http://www.coloradodriveshaft.com/volvo.htm
    Last edited by instarx; 01-07-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    2000 V70 XC SE
    165,000 miles and runs great.
    Total repair costs over last 65 months: $720 (about 1.5 car payments);
    Best single tank mileage ever: 32.8; Average mileage: 22.2; City: 18

Same

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast