Default Rear hatch wiring failure

The "high mount" brake light in the rear hatch has stopped working. The license plate lights are also not working. I took off the plastic surround on the door to gain access to the brake light and replace the bulb and test the wiring and of course it worked with the door up. When I closed the door they stopped working . I then raised and lowered the door slowly with the lights on and the licence lights flickered on and off. I suspect the wiring that is attached to the hinge and goes to a connector block located above the rear speaker on the driver’s side. Has anyone experienced the same problem and have any recommendations. I have not yet removed the lower cover (carpeted) on the door and can't figure out the sequence to remove it. HELP..........Thanks

I just fixed the same problem. My wiper stopped working. The rear lower cover comes off by removing the 4 torx screws, then firmly pulling it off. You have to use a lot of force, there are 4 plastic plugs holding it in place.

The problem you are likely having is that the wiring harness on the left side has become damaged by repeated opening and closing of the hatch. If you cut open the harness insulation after removing the cover on the hinge arm, you will probably find some damaged or cut wires. I found 4 cut wires, 3 frayed ones. The wires I repaired went to the license plate lights, middle brake light, wiper, and defroster.

It does seem like a poor design to me.
    2001 XC70

Queens, New York City, United States Of America

I am having a problem with 1 of my license plate lights it sometimes doesnt come on and when it does come on bright is will dim, I think the socket is no good or the wire is messed up will check it since my back tailgate piece just is hanging than fell off lol.
    TyranT
    2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S CVT
    HID 6000k,LED'S 20% tint
    2000 Volvo V70XC AWD (SOLD)
    HID Lows/Fogs 6000k, 50%/35% tint, Dual Exhaust, Speedtuning ECU upgrade
    1997 Volvo 965 - 50%/35% tint
    1997 Nissan Altima HID 6000k/ Intake

My 2002 Ocean Race V70 XC has the following problem, which sounds like it may be related to the symptoms reported by GrndCyn01XC. I get a 'Tailgate Open' message every time I start the car, even when the tailgate is closed. Also, the cargo area dome light and license plate light do not work. Today the dealership, Putnam Volvo in San Mateo, CA, reported that a wiring harness in the cargo area had worn through and would need to be replaced at a cost of $687.

Two things annoy me about this.

1) In 25 years of car ownership I have never had a wiring harness fail, and I have owned several vintage vehicles. This makes me think this is either a manufacturing or assembly defect.

2) Even if it's required, $687 to replace a piece of the wiring harness seems excessive.

Has anyone else out there had this problem? If so, how much was the repair?

/mjp

Quote Originally Posted by mjpatterson View Post

Has anyone else out there had this problem? If so, how much was the repair?

/mjp
    I had a 2000 that the wiper failed, same reason, cut harness. Buy a used harness from www.erievovo.com.
    Mine cost about 65-70 bucks
    It takes about an hour and a half or so to replace it IF you know what you're doing as you have to drop the rear lart of the headliner to get to the connection up in the roof area

Angry Preparing to install tailgate wiring harness #3

I'm about to install tailgate (rear hatch) wiring harness #3. The first one failed after about eight years and the second, which cost me ~$200 plus labor to install it, only lasted about a year . It was a POS to begin with, or my mechanic installed it poorly. Either way, I'm in the market for a new one.

Anyone have any suggestions? 1999 V70 XC w. 113K mi.

I ended up doing the repair myself with a few butt connectors and electrical tape. The car had been backed into by a delivery truck in a parking lot a few months before and the dealer's body shop had replaced the tailgate. I believe they routed the harness incorrectly because when I disassembled it all I found the harness passing over a cam at the hatch hinge that was the source of the chafing that wore through. I routed the harness under the cam and connected the wires alll up. No problems six years later.

/mjp