Default Changed My Brakes @ 110,000 Miles

MY05 XC70 D5

Dealer told me at the 108K service that pads rear needed changing so I did. At the same time disc was reported as corroded so had that changed as well.

Decided that I wanted a slight "upgrade" to the fronts and after such a mileage they must be soon due a change, so bought some Brembo discs and Ferrodo DS2500 pads.

Went to change them this afternoon and to my amazement found that the pads are less than 1/2 worn - maybe 40% worn - and that the discs had a maximum of a 1mm lip. To say that I am surprised is an understatement! Admitedly I'm doing mainly motorway driving but I do like to press on sometimes, always brake late for roundabouts etc and includes some towing - all this on a heavy old car!

Needn't have changed the discs/pads at all! Though I'm sure that I'll enjoy the increased bite once they bed in

Were the front pads and rotors the originals? If so that kind of mileage seems amazing. I would be happy to get half that prior to the need for brake service.
    2006 XC70 Ruby Red, mfg 03/06 (traded)
    2005 S80 Ash Gold, mfg 11/04
    2016 XC60 T6 mfg 04/15

I just changed all of mine at 75,000 miles but I could have waited longer and thought I had had very good luck, guess I could have waited quite a bit longer .....

Bill
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Thumbs up Re: Changed My Brakes @ 110,000 Miles

I was hoping to get 100,000 on our XC90 brakes but at 79,000 they are at 5 mm front and 9 mm rear so we'll likely fall a little short.
    '04 XC90 2.5T, ~170K miles, ash gold/graphite, 7-seater, towing, nav
    "Objects in the mirror may be just as they appear." - Steve Forbert

Quote Originally Posted by tgwillard View Post
    Were the front pads and rotors the originals? If so that kind of mileage seems amazing. I would be happy to get half that prior to the need for brake service.
    OE fit. Will try and get a pic up

I think that there are several things going in Puff's favor that we won't see in th US. US spec pads are usually softer than Euro spec due to NTSB (?) requirements for low pedal pressure if power fails. Then Puff is a diesel, and in my experience, these generate a lot more engine braking action. Finally, it is a 5 speed, I think, to make full use of all that engine braking. Add good Euro level driver skills versus normal US folks, and voila - long ife.
    Mike
    ----------------
    '09 XC70 T6
    '07 XC70
    '98 V70M
    '98 S70 T5M
    '95 855T
    '84 MB 380SL

It's a 6-speed manual but I do like to use that lovely engine braking to slow down on m/ways. Always feel that showing b/lights when not really needed on a m/way is bad driving

Still the lack of wear is seriously impressive!

Default any better?

That’s an impressive mileage !!
    One question, do you notice any improvement with the new rotors and pads? I’m asking because I’m still convinced that the standard brakes are not powerful enough considering the kind of car.i’m seriously thinking to get something more efficient, brembo is actually doing wonderful high performance products.
    Ciao

Obviously as time goes on, an existing set of pads/discs feels the norm and gets a bit of wear in them, such that you know the feel of them. So when you have new ones, the initial sharper bite is more noticed.

However, saying that, I have just got the fronts bedded in properly I think. For the first few days the pedal was so soft it was like butter although the car did stop. Not a case of pumping it, that wasn't needed, but hardly confidence inspiring. It is something I will be monitoring as when I had the pads out on the drivers side I noticed brake fluid around the bleed-nipple cover and it was damp inside. The nipple was not loose and its not leaking but not usual for sure. Small chance it is excess fluid from when the fluid was changed 12K miles ago (or was it 24? hmm).

Anyhow, despite that, I have a certain braking point which I know I used to be able to hit at 80mph on a slip road and still stop in time for the Give Way. In my Subaru Impreza with AP Racing calipers/Alcon Discs and DS3000s I can stop in half the distance from the XC with OE. With the new set up, I can stop within the OE distance comfortably but no way as good as the APs

So the initial report is that that combo is better than OE. Only slight downside is that from cold with DS2500s you get a small lack of initial bite which can be off-putting! Once warm however...

I will monitor the pedal aspect and if necessary have it re-bled. If I do that, then I'll stick braides hoses on all-round just so I can get a better feel.

After that, then I'll see if I can get APs or Brembos to go under those 16s - 1 calliper opposed piston doesn't really do it for me!

Just had my MY'01 [88,000 miles] inspected and the original brakes/rotors, etc are still good to go. Man, I never would have expected this sort of life for this car. Fantastic!
    '01 V70XC/Silver/Graphite Leather, Nokian WRs
    '09 XC70/Ice White/Sandstone Leather,VCOA