Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VC Failure

Default VC Failure

Well - I now belong to the "Failed VC Club". When I left work yesterday I put the shifter into "D" and immediately heard AND felt a very loud and distinct 'CLUNK'. I pulled out about 50 feet and I could hear and feel a slight "thump thump thump", so I parked it and looked under the car to see if I was dragging anything or if any fluids were leaking out. Nothing on both counts, so I drove a little further in the parking lot and the "thumps" went away, soon to be replaced by a high pitched "whine" with an accompanying metallic grinding / metal-on-metal meshing sound. I parked it and called a wrecker.

My indie called this morning and gave me the bad news. A rebuilt VC will run just under $3K. OUCH! Sometimes I wish I didn't love this car so much.
    Mike
    Bluegrass-XC
    (Somewhere on the Space Coast)

2000 V70 SE Cross Country
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer 4x4 (in Blazer Heaven)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool -
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

I'm guessing VC = Viscous Coupling.

Have you considered just leaving it out and having just front wheel drive? Depending upon how you use your car that might be a reasonable choice.
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

Default Go with FWD

Bluegrass, as one former Kentuckian to another, given you're living in FL and given the cost vs. value of your car, a $3k investment for AWD really seems a waste of money from my perspective. I'd convert to FWD and enjoy the car and put the money back into a downpayment on a newer model XC. With all the other possible costs and expenses of running this car that would be one I'd pass on.
    1999 V70 XC Dark Blue/Taupe - Gas/Auto Trans. with Nokian WRG2s 205/65/15
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

OOPS - Sorry about that folks. I really meant to post this in the 1997 - 2000 forum.

Taylor - feel free to move it at your discretion.

Yes, VC = Viscous Coupling. The thought of forking over all that money for a new one is NOT very appealing, but with the sudden downpours here and the occasional dirt (sand) road, I kinda like everything the AWD brings to the plate. It's that "piece of mind" thing again. Since I've already put the ball in motion, I might as well see it through. It just may increase the resale value a bit, too.
    Last edited by Bluegrass-XC; 05-18-2007 at 08:02 PM.
    Mike
    Bluegrass-XC

Default No problem for me

This issue is the same regardless of model year. VC failure on pre Haladex XCs is common and the decision to FWD or repair is the same. I know some things really matter on a 1st Gen vs 2nd gen but others really are common to both. Hope you get it resolved without spending a fortune.
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

Quote Originally Posted by tgrumaj View Post
    VC failure on pre Haladex XCs is common and the decision to FWD or repair is the same.
    I don't think this is true. It is NOT common, or else we would have people complaining about it all the time. It is a rare occurrence at best.

Maybe a poll can be started to see what model year has had the most failures, unless of course it's alrready been and I missed it.
    Mike
    Bluegrass-XC

Default Search the Site and See

All I can say is if this site is any indication VC failures rank right up there in first gen and early second gen XC. I say it's 1) ETM failure then 2) ABS Module failure followed by 3) VC failure as most frequent discussed topics. At least the ETM got Volvo's attention after a hurricane of bad press and work from some key members of this board and the ABS module can be repaired at a reasonable cost (not by Volvo) but the VC is a huge expense...most say around 3,000. Frequency may not be as high as 1 and 2 but serverity is much greater.
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

Default Common Failures

Tgrumaj,

For first gen xc's, you may also want to include tranny failures. I personally had mine replaced at about 60K (under extended warranty-Thank God!) and this seems to be a wide scope issue with earlier models.

Rob C
    2001 V70 XC

Default I disagree

I disagree with your statement that the VC failure rate is so high on second gen XC's. I've been reading this site for over 4 years, and I can't recall a single report of a VC failure. That is why this post caught my eye... and it turned out to be a failure on a first gen car posted in the wrong section. I could have missed one here or there, but there is no way that I missed as many as you claim have failed. Show me the posts where a member has had the VC fail on their car, not where a friend's uncle's neighbor had the VC shred for no apparent reason. Facts please.

The following is a short list of components that get a lot of discussion and are well known to anyone that reads list site with regularity. Actual reports of VC failure is not one of them.

Inner tie rod ends
    frequent headlight failure
    Sway bar end links
    dash board cup holder
    brake sender unit causing cruise control to be inop
    upper motor mount
    2-3 tranny flare
    ETM
    rear wheel bearings

There is a lot of talk about the VC, but very few reports of failures. Usually those that claim the high VC failure rate are driving an 03+ haldex equipped model and have no experience with the VC. I suspect this impression came from the sales people in the showroom going on and on about how the Haldex is a much improved AWD. I drive an 02 with a VC and I will be the first to admit to the group IF it fails. Additionally, there is really very little evidence to support that the VC is any more sensitive to tire diameter differences than the haldex.

This site is a magnet for both XC enthusiasts and disgruntled owners looking for info on their recently diagnosed repair bill. As you've stated, the VC repair bill would be high.-- High enough to drive people to this site seeking info. Look at how many first time posters we had when the ETM's were being diagnosed. We had folks with forum names like "first and last Volvo EVER!" and "Never again Volvo" because there were so angry at their high repair bill. That sort of thing has not happened due to VC failures.

If I'm wrong, prove it and I will retract my statement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast