View Poll Results: Give it up or continue on?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Give it up

19 57.58%
  • Looks good enough to continue on

14 42.42%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Give it up or continue on?

Ages ago I posted a photoshoped photo for an idea I had for a front bumper guard. This was before the 05 model came out with it already done. Nevertheless, years go by and I finally get around to making my fiberglass prototype. Now, I'm too close to the thing and no longer have any perspective on whether I'm disfiguring a beautiful design or adding a slight "cool quotient". I still have some final layers of resin to add, another attempt at a better color match, and figure out how to secure the lower sections of the piece. I have no idea if it will even survive a real world drive once its installed.

So, for the fun of it and before I put anymore work into this I put this question to you fellow admirers of the Volvo form, should I give it up or continue on?
    07 XC - Ruby Red/Taupe/Touring, Climate & Prem. pkgs

Maybe I should have included an "undecided" option. But hey, this is only for fun. I can't believe that after 106 views, and counting, only 6 people wanted to take a stand.

123 views and voted - if you have gone this far, and have time and the weather is going to be kind - go for it.

Thanks! Nice Icon, just last night we watched a Hi Def program on the last flight of the Concorde. Always wanted to experience that but a $12,000 joy ride was too rich for my pocketbook.

Red face ...

Great effort, but to me the result sofar doesn't seem to be too promising, sorry.

BTW I kinda like the front of the 01-02 V70XC with the "real" aluminum...(slightly biased )
    2008 V70 2.4 Classic Sports Edition

Quote Originally Posted by edwa View Post
    Thanks! Nice Icon, just last night we watched a Hi Def program on the last flight of the Concorde. Always wanted to experience that but a $12,000 joy ride was too rich for my pocketbook.
    Thanks, there will never be another such plane, we use to use it as our coffee break alarm clock at 11.10 every morning, when she took off and again at 5.20 when she came into land. She ALWAYS landed at 5.20 because she never had enough fuel to do a fly around and therefore was always given the landing rights as soon as she came into London airspace.

Even this model has now disappeared to make way for an Emirates A380 in a few months time.

Quote Originally Posted by pico de luuks View Post
    Great effort, but to me the result sofar doesn't seem to be too promising, sorry.
    I thought that but it is only a photoshop so forget the rough edges, i am sure the finished result will be excellent.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AWD*V70XC View Post
    I thought that but it is only a photoshop so forget the rough edges, i am sure the finished result will be excellent.
    Oops, jumped to conclusions after only looking at the picture...

I'll hold my judgement until I see the finished product
    2008 V70 2.4 Classic Sports Edition

Sorry for the confusion. It is not a photoshop image. It is the first few layers of fiberglass cloth with resin. I still have a couple of finishing layers of resin to add so you no longer see the fibers and get a smoother consistent surface. Here's another photo angle which I hope will show the fiberglass cloth in more detail.

I just got an email from Don Nicholson of EVOLVE <evolvecars.com> and he was saying that it would need to be adhered to the bumper for it to withstand roadshocks and such. (Imagine taking it to the car wash!). If I turn the car in next year at lease end I don't think my modification would go over too big. They'd probably make me replace the whole bumper. So, unless I do finally decide to buy the car I guess the project will go on hold.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AWD*V70XC View Post
    Thanks, there will never be another such plane, we use to use it as our coffee break alarm clock at 11.10 every morning, when she took off and again at 5.20 when she came into land. She ALWAYS landed at 5.20 because she never had enough fuel to do a fly around and therefore was always given the landing rights as soon as she came into London airspace.

Even this model has now disappeared to make way for an Emirates A380 in a few months time.
    It is a pity that Brits have given up on this plane. The plane might have never made money, but it was a great idea to keep even if the idea was costly. Some projects deserve to be maintained even if they are unprofitable. The bloody airbus, on the other hand, should be euthanised. Bigger is not always better.

Ta-ta, j.
    Second gen., Nautical Blue XC70Volvo: "Anything else just isn't up to it" and Wife's Volvo S70: "In manual Transmission She Trusts"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast