Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheel Bearings

Unhappy Disapointing.....

After 3 years and 72000km's (44K Miles) I have been very pleased with my -04 XC70. But now I have to change the rear wheel bearings. Tech at Volvo dealer sort of "admits" those bearings used has a weak seal, and that it "has happend before on world basis". It will be replaced with a new type used in newer models (I don't know from what year).

Tech said moisture would sneak in through the seal, and in my case the car was parked for 6 weeks in low temp, moisture would freeze and expansion would break the seal further. So coming back after vacation this sound (like riding with noisy tires) would appear around 40km/h and disappear at 70 km/h.

Now the worst thing about this. My 3 year warranty ran out on me on this (by 3 days), and they want me to pay for this! I guess in these cases its up to the dealer to decide what service level he wants to provide, but I'm disappointed.....

So after some discussions, he agreed to split the cost.

In the same operation, brakes will be changed in the rear as a result of driving allot in road salt resulting in uneven wear on the disks.

So watch out for those wheel bearings before your warranty expires...

Update:

The dealer (or Volvo) decided they would cover the cost for both rear wheel bearings, so I guess I'm still happy with my Volvo and dealer
    Last edited by XC70Viking; 04-30-2007 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Editorial
    2004 XC70 D5 Mistral Green Metalic delivered on 24th february -04,
    and volvoXC.com sticker is in its place....
    XC70Viking's album

Default Right Rear Bearing failed at 53K miles

Just an fyi for others on the board - be sure to get those bearings checked BEFORE your warranty expires. The right rear bearing on my 2003 just failed at 53,000 miles. Dealer is replacing it today - $549 USD installed + tax.
    Cheers, Gary

2022 XC60 B5/Black
    2021 XC60 T5/ Osmium Gray (Wife's)
    2017 XC60 T6/ Bright Silver (Loaned to my Son)
    2015.5 XC70/Silver (Loaned to my Daughter)

2007 XC70/Rubyred (RIP)
    2003 XC70/Platinum Green (RIP)
    2001 V70/White (RIP)

I had both rear bearings on my '03 replaced at 75,000 miles by the dealer for $589 installed (tax included). My dealer (Serafini Volvo Vestal, NY) does give a 20% parts discount for COCA members.

Bill
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Quote Originally Posted by BillAileo View Post
    I had both rear bearings on my '03 replaced at 75,000 miles by the dealer for $589 installed (tax included). My dealer (Serafini Volvo Vestal, NY) does give a 20% parts discount for COCA members.

Bill
    That is VERY cheap, great deal!

Angry 3 wheel bearings at 52k

Hi
    I guess I am in good company. I had 3 !!!! fail right after warranty, so guess I should be much better at keeping up with my reading of the forum
    I wonder if I post to see how many of us have had the same problem we could get some support from Volvo ?
    I also have the good fortune of using Serafini Volvo in Binghamton NY and they discounted the work for us so it "only" cost $975.00 for all 3.
    Begining to think maybe I should sell it and take my losses rather than bleed big on a regular basis. Such a shame cause I love the car otherwise.....
    '04 Ruby, sand, prem pkg, tour pkg, xenon, DST, xenia wheels, OSD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12