Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default New XC70: official pictures...

Link to a Dutch web site (with pictures)
    http://www.autoweek.nl/newsdisp.php?ID=6099

Volvo claims that that the terrain capacities have improved, with a 15% stiffer body, and hill descent control (from LR) as a standard feature. It will hit the showrooms in September.

Unfortunately, (initially) no T6 (over here). Only the 3.2 six and the D5

Me likes it more than the standard V70! The dark body cladding makes it look younger and more dynamic. But those white thingies here and there look a bit cheap

Can't help it. Still have difficulties with the new model range Volvo is launching (S80-on). Too elegant, soft, far away from solid robust and clean lines. Even the numerous black claddings don't give it (optical) ruggedness.

I feel the same in the latest Audi Alroad evolution: nice and refined enough, but not what I'd like to see. Only my opinion.

Hans
    Hans
    2000 V70XC 2.4T LPGas
    ash gold pearl outside, oak inside
    Atlantis + Goodyear F1 235/50-18
    [santa] Tellus + Michelin PA2 215/65-16
    NO roofrails, NO badges on hatch

yes, better than the v70 but, in my opinion , still far from my beloved 2006 xc70.
    i'm looking forward to see it on the road and to test it, for the moment no particular emotions looking at the pics. it's the same old point, in the past it was possible to recognise the volvo style with a glance, now with the s80 and the v70 the first comment is always: " oh, it looks like a bmw or an audi or a lexus..". i'll see if i'll ever get accustomed to the "fordized" volvo design.
    ciao

Nice pictures of the 2008 XC70. Don't care for the bright trim on the front and rear bumpers, but interior looks interesting. I am looking forward to seeing one close up at my dealer in September.
    2006 XC70 Ruby Red, mfg 03/06 (traded)
    2005 S80 Ash Gold, mfg 11/04
    2016 XC60 T6 mfg 04/15

some more pictures (unfortunately German text only, but a little video in English)

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/m...473_14204.hbs&
    hd; '04 XC70 OSD, 2.5T, autom., silver/charcoal.

Yes, the pictures are nice, but IMHO the car isn't. Especially the front looks bulky and has lost
    the elegant design of the current model(s). I also find the interior to sober, tomuch strait lines,
    the dashboard looks cold and uninviting to me. Apart from a different shape, I can't see any
    advantage in it (of course the marketing guys will disagree, but they
    always find "good" reasons to convince us to buy a new car).
    When volvo prsesnted the first S80/V70/S60 models, I found it were the best looking models they
    had produced so far, I found them among the better looking cars on the (EU) market. It seems to
    me that will be the case for a number of years to come (as the new S80 and V50 already predicted).
    I must admit it always takes a long time before I adjust to new trends, but the trend towards
    "heavy nosed" cars has been going on for some time now and I still don't like it. But perhaps we
    may be lucky Volvo didn't adapt the whale mouth of the new Audi's!
    On the other hand, I have confidence in the dynamic qualities of the new V/XC and I never bought
    a 140 or 240 because they were such beautiful cars to look at
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by vtie View Post
    and hill descent control (from LR) as a standard feature. I
    Didn't LR/RR take hill descent control from the Benz G-wagon?

It's a pretty cool feature, but is it really necessary on this car? This seems to be a feature that less than one out of one hundred would ever use. Could Volvo be aiming it as an application for an icy road/snowy road? I live at the top of a pretty steep hill and even when it snows the car seems to do fine without it but maybe it would be a plus.

As to the front of the car....I love it. To me, it looks more sporty & aggressive, particularly the headlights, grill and the cut of the hood. It looks like they borrowed a lot of the styling of the S40/V50

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    Didn't LR/RR take hill descent control from the Benz G-wagon?
    I don't know true the origin, but given the Ford link, I would suspect that the incarnation in the XC70 comes from the LR(discovery?)

Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    It's a pretty cool feature, but is it really necessary on this car? This seems to be a feature that less than one out of one hundred would ever use. Could Volvo be aiming it as an application for an icy road/snowy road? I live at the top of a pretty steep hill and even when it snows the car seems to do fine without it but maybe it would be a plus.
    I think Volvo is aiming at a marketing positioning in the first place. Now that the market is flooded with wannabee-crossovers (at least here in Europe), they need some features so that they can claim that the XC70 has some true offroad capabilities. Since HDC is an electronic trick in the first place, it's a relatively cheap feature to add, and it adds to the image. Whether or not a lot of people is going to use it is perhaps the last of their concerns...

Default Hmmmm...

The outside (when you have taken away the truly awful brightwork) doesn't look too much of a major facelift.

Remember when the MkI V70 turned into the MKII version. I wasn't over keen; now I thing it's great.

The interior does look a bit bland, but to my way of thinking it's more due to the very light colouring on the lower parts. A bit of synthetic wood finish and slightly darker colouring and we'll all be wondering what the fuss was about. After all, who would actually buy red inserts in a charcoal seat (option on current models)?

Volvo desperately needs to attract NEW customers, those that truly, truly know will always buy.

HDC is a jolly good idea - IMHO
    Mike.

Mine: XC 70 Sport 2009 D5 Inscription Electric Blue.
    VNS, DSTC and 4C, BLIS, LDW ventilated leather ACC; Yummy.

All gone now - XC70 MY 13 SE LUX Flamenco red - goes better than the '09 even with its "Polestar plus" upgrade. I justy miss the PCC...

Hers: V60 Flamenco Red 215HP D5 (like above XC70 spec)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast