Thread: Why the form

Default Imported post

Why did I have to sign a tire chain disclosure form saying that tire chains could not be used on this vehicle but other traction devices may be but to check the manuel.  The manuel mentions chains and the Largest Volvo dealership in the world located in Stockholm orders them from Volvo Goteborg to use in France & Germany as well as world wide.  This required form from my dealership sure does send a mixed message.--merv
    2010 XC60 3.2AWD; 2004 XC70 OSD both models

Default Imported post

Woah!  Never heard of such a form.  Not at my dealer.  Seems like somebody has been eating too many fish from the bay recently!

I'd put this on the Call Volvo list and to ask the dealer to explain why in writing.
    Current Volvos
    2012 XC70, OSD, Twilight Bronze/Espresso
    2008 C70, OSD, Celestial Blue/Cream Sovereign

Former Volvos
    2009 XC70 Oyster/Black
    2006 S60R Black Sapphire/Nordkap
    2003 XC70, OSD, Ash/Espresso
    2000 S40, Ice White/Black

Default Imported post

I woouldn't see why you would need them even in the Sirerra's with the correct snow tires. If it's deeper than that they wouldn't open the roads.

I think the dealer is concerned about the damage to the AWD system if only 2 chains are used on the front. They just don't want some idiot to come in and argue with them when they blow the car up.

Jason
    Jason,

Riding with the Big Dog.

Default Imported post

FDC sold me tire chains for my XC when I picked up the car in March. I signed no form??

Kersti
    '08 Oyster Gray XC70 DSTC Front/Rear Park Assist, Rear 12V.

Default Imported post

Volvo lists chains in their accessory brochure for the XC70 and XC90 with a note to contact your Volvo retailer for the correct type. The XC90 manual (probably the same for the XC70) says Volvo-approved chains may be used on the front wheels. It's beyond me why a dealer would claim that chains couldn't be used. Did you ask what they are thinking?

BTW, there are special conditions when the California authorities require chains on all motor vehicles, even those with 4WD and studded tires, no questions asked. If you don't have them, be prepared to turn around.
    '04 XC90 2.5T, ~170K miles, ash gold/graphite, 7-seater, towing, nav
    "Objects in the mirror may be just as they appear." - Steve Forbert

Default Imported post

Exactly Big....  Ran into one of those conditions last year shortly after a tour bus full of people went sliding past me down the hill just south of Glacier Pt Road in Yosemite.
    Current Volvos
    2012 XC70, OSD, Twilight Bronze/Espresso
    2008 C70, OSD, Celestial Blue/Cream Sovereign

Former Volvos
    2009 XC70 Oyster/Black
    2006 S60R Black Sapphire/Nordkap
    2003 XC70, OSD, Ash/Espresso
    2000 S40, Ice White/Black

Default Imported post

Thanks to all for the comments--it is because of Callif & Oregon laws requiring having chains available that I will have them--will question my dealer when my car arrives late this month & post back his answer---thanks again, merv
    2010 XC60 3.2AWD; 2004 XC70 OSD both models

Default Imported post

I've found that Oregon rarely requires chains except for I-5 over the Siskyou Mountains which has a lot of truck traffic. Instead, Oregon allows the use of studded tires or studless "severe snow" tires (snowflake symbol) in place of chains on cars. California is behind the times and still thinks of M+S tires as "snow tires" which is why they require chains more often.
    '04 XC90 2.5T, ~170K miles, ash gold/graphite, 7-seater, towing, nav
    "Objects in the mirror may be just as they appear." - Steve Forbert