Default Replacement Turbo??

I recently took my XC for maintenance (100k). My mechanic, (very trust worthy) told me that the check engine light was on for a blown turbo. He said the valve seal in the turbo went. I am told it isn't hurting anything to not be fixed right now.

So what can I do? Do I need to replace the turbo with a new unit or refurbished or something from a junkyard? Or is there a 'better' more powerful turbo that would cost the same? I don't know.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!
    Volvodad3

2001 V70 XC (my daily)
    117k and counting!
    Ash Gold/Sand
    Loaded! minus Nav, 3rd seat and Premium stereo.
    Scorpion's
    Cross Bars
    Tint (not an official 'mod')

99.5 VW Jetta TDi (Hers)
    2002 GMC Savanna 3500 (Work)
    93 Cadillac Eldorado (gone, but still in the family)

Wrecking yard turbos are about $400 or so, some are cheaper and are plantiful

How does a mechanic know that a seal has gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Its the wifes View Post
    How does a mechanic know that a seal has gone?
    Agree that you might want a second opinion on that. JRL didn't mention it, but if you can't find a used turbo locally, you might try erievovo.com. You can also buy rebuilt turbos for $1000 or so, or rebuild it yourself very inexpensively (as long as the turbine and impeller are good), but that would be a lot more work.

If you upgrade to a bigger turbo, you probably will need to upgrade the ECU to get the full potential, and possibly the downpipe. Suggest that you check other internet forums such as swedespeed.com for more information.
    2004 XC70 43K Silver over Graphite, Premium and Cold Weather packages.
    2001 V70 XC, 93K, 08/01 build in Torslanda, Sweden, stock except for K&N. Gone but not forgotten.
    1995 850 Turbo - great ride with 225K, not mine any more
    2004 XC90 - it's gone
    1993 850 GLT - not really missed
    1986 GMC Suburban 2500, 454 V8 - for pulling really heavy things.
    VCOA

Our 01~02 XC has the Mitsubishi TD-04 13T Turbo Charger. The following will fit without any hardware modification.

MY03> 2.5T = 14T (Bolt up w/o software upgrade is ok)
    <MY04 2.3T = 16T (395cc fuel injectors upgrade recommended)
    19T = most powerful for serious tuners. (software & fuel injectors upgrade recommended)

My XC is under a transplant as we speak with the S60R/V70R KKK K24 Turbo Charger. We'll see how it turns out.

A comparo between the stock 13T and the new K24.

2002 V70XC w/volvoXC.com stickers! MTE Stage 3+

ifnt420, you're a great resource. I was sort of hoping that you might chime in here.
    2004 XC70 43K Silver over Graphite, Premium and Cold Weather packages.
    2001 V70 XC, 93K, 08/01 build in Torslanda, Sweden, stock except for K&N. Gone but not forgotten.
    1995 850 Turbo - great ride with 225K, not mine any more
    2004 XC90 - it's gone
    1993 850 GLT - not really missed
    1986 GMC Suburban 2500, 454 V8 - for pulling really heavy things.
    VCOA

Thanks for all the info and resources!

I sent an email to Evolve about buying a used 'R' turbo from them and a ECU upgrade, but haven't heard back yet.

Its the wifes, My check engine light was on when it went in for service, and my mechanic told me that the code from the light was for the turbo/seal. I didn't grill him for answers, just trusted him. I need to take the XC to the dealer for my oil change, so I'll have them run a diagnostic. Yes I take my car to the dealer for oil changes. I get a loaner and my car is detailed when I get it back. My mechanic charges the same and it's still dirty afterward!

ifnt420, let me know how that K24 swap goes. Did you change the ECU? Ballpark what did it cost, turbo, downpipe, install, etc.?
    Volvodad3

2001 V70 XC (my daily)
    117k and counting!
    Ash Gold/Sand
    Loaded! minus Nav, 3rd seat and Premium stereo.
    Scorpion's
    Cross Bars
    Tint (not an official 'mod')

99.5 VW Jetta TDi (Hers)
    2002 GMC Savanna 3500 (Work)
    93 Cadillac Eldorado (gone, but still in the family)

Quote Originally Posted by Volvodad3 View Post
    ifnt420, let me know how that K24 swap goes. Did you change the ECU? Ballpark what did it cost, turbo, downpipe, install, etc.?
    I already have the RICA chip installed for the original 13T around 2 years ago, but now after the K24 swap, I will put the XC on the dyno and have it tuned via Power System (Notebook connection through OBDII) I think it will be better to go that route to get the most out of the new mods.
    Also, the Downpipe was alrady installed 1 year ago for around US$1k.

I haven't talked to the mechanic yet about the charges incurred so far for the K24 swap, But it won't be cheap for sure.
    The only costs are the parts such as the Intercooler Charge Pipe that sits on top of the enigne alone is around US$400. And all the Turbo coolant and oil lines will run approx. US$200.
    The K24 I picked up from a Volvospeed member for around US$500.
    I'll keep you posted on the labor charges afterwards.

Here's a pic of the new turbo lines that needs replacement:
    2002 V70XC w/volvoXC.com stickers! MTE Stage 3+