Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by travelkids View Post
    Descent control sounds great.
    seriously? why? it's hardly needed even by the most serious off roaders and off roading situations.

descent control strikes me as something that's really beyond the capability of the vehicle. the only exceptions I can see are possibly a steep snowy surface or wet grass.

how would you anticipate using it?

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

Default Re: descent control

Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    seriously? why? it's hardly needed even by the most serious off roaders and off roading situations.

descent control strikes me as something that's really beyond the capability of the vehicle. the only exceptions I can see are possibly a steep snowy surface or wet grass.

how would you anticipate using it?
    I would use it coming down long, steep grades on loose tracks such as off of the numerous buttes and ridges around where I live. I've never used a descent control, having had a real 4WD with low-range in the past, but I assume it works better than my current situation where I must ride the brake pedal all the way down. Call it a poor-man's low-range. It would be used infrequently but could be nice to have in my part of the world.
    '04 XC90 2.5T, ~170K miles, ash gold/graphite, 7-seater, towing, nav
    "Objects in the mirror may be just as they appear." - Steve Forbert

XCelerate Guest

Default comparison 2.5T and 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by vtie View Post
    I would go further: its a step back. Judiging from the numbers, it's horrible. This is a comparison, based on the S80 (where engines both are available, manual transmission)

...........Power....0-100km/h....Top_speed....Average_consumption
    2.5T.....200pk.......7.7s...........235km/h...........9.2l/100km
    3.2.......238pk.......7.9s...........240km/h...........9.8l/100km

So, in the S80 the 3.2 is a bit slower in acceleration, 5km/h faster in top speed, but consumes considerably more! The 2.5T loses in power output, but wins from a much better distribution over the revs. The torque you have at low revs is one of the nice things I always enjoy with turbo aspired cars. Personally, I don't see any improvement at all, apart from the fact that you can tell your friends that it's a 6-cyl (who cares)
    I can only hope that later on they will also bring the T6 to the new XC70
    I'm afraid Vtie is mistaken. Vtie is comparing a 2.5T manual and a 3.2 geartronic. According to a comparison tool on:
    http://www.volvocars.nl/models/s80/techSpec.htm
    the S80 2.5T and 3.2 compare as follows (both with geartronic; the S80 3.2 is available with geartronic only - NL):
    ...........Power....0-100km/h....Top_speed....Average_consumption
    2.5T.....200pk.......8.0s...........230km/h...........9.9l/100km
    3.2.......238pk.......7.9s...........240km/h...........9.8l/100km

So, the 3.2 has more power, is a wee bit quicker and uses less fuel. It would not make sense anyway that the 3.2, with more torque (at lower rpm) and more hp, would be slower.
    BTW, my 2.5T (210hp standard - tuned to 245hp) has never reached averages of 9.9l/100km. It's been 12.5l/100km. Of course I don't know what the 3.2 will use in real life, but I will find out someday ...
    Last edited by XCelerate; 04-18-2007 at 05:26 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345