Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default xc90 Tires for awd

Does anyone have any insight as to what tire is wearing well w/ the xc90awd? It seems as though this has been an issue. What tire holds up the best and is not rounded off on the edges and in need of replacement after 14k miles?

Look out for all-season harder compound tires, easiest way to spot is via the tire wear rating.

This Goodyear tire has a wear rating of 440 http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...d=18&ar=60&ct=

so it has a longer life than this Pirelli tire http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...d=18&ar=60&ct=

Softer compound tires performs better in the summer as they tend to be "stickier" when warmed up.

My $0.02 version
    2003 XC90 T6 AWD AGM

You might want to check the alignment if you have edge problems with the tires. If the alignment is OK, then slow down a bit on cornering. This is a heavy car that will really scrub the tires.

I went with longer lasting hard compound, it isnt a sports car.
    2000 F350, 4x4, Crewcab, 7.3L Turbo Powerstroke Diesel
    2005 XC90 2.5T OSD 06/2005

Default Re: XC90 tires for AWD

Quote Originally Posted by 1 swt wrl View Post
    Does anyone have any insight as to what tire is wearing well w/ the xc90awd? It seems as though this has been an issue. What tire holds up the best and is not rounded off on the edges and in need of replacement after 14k miles?
    There are many variables and tradeoffs in tire wear--tire compound, inflation, alignment, load, driving style, speed, temperature, road surface, etc.--so it's hard to give specific recommendations. Edge rounding is often an indication of misalignment or underinflation.

Assuming that there is nothing unusual in your situation and you have 17" tires, a few people have reported good results with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza and the Goodyear Fortera SilentArmor. I've been happy with the stock Michelin 4x4 Synchrone although they have a much lower wear rating.
    '04 XC90 2.5T, ~170K miles, ash gold/graphite, 7-seater, towing, nav
    "Objects in the mirror may be just as they appear." - Steve Forbert

Thanks for those that responded. I did fail to mention that they are 17's. I currently have Cooper Discovery HT's. They seem do do fine w/ dry conditions. However we just had our first snow event yesterday and I had trouble getting up my drive way! I live in town. flat drive way w/ the slightest incline coming off the road. I parked it and we used my explorer w/ new Dueler a/t revo's that are awesome. I did not even use 4x4 where as the xc 90 would cont. to spin. awd did not help. now granted you have two different tread patterns. I will check those out. I need to do something very soon. Thanks!

Default Re: wear versus winter traction

I currently have Cooper Discovery HT's. They seem do do fine w/ dry conditions. However we just had our first snow event yesterday and I had trouble getting up my drive way! I live in town. flat drive way w/ the slightest incline coming off the road. I parked it and we used my explorer w/ new Dueler a/t revo's that are awesome. I did not even use 4x4 where as the xc 90 would cont. to spin. awd did not help. now granted you have two different tread patterns. I will check those out. I need to do something very soon.
    The first snow? Gee, I've had winter tires on since early November. Long wear, as you first mentioned, and snow traction tend to be mutually exclusive. There have been many discussions on winter tires and most of us find that the XC90 takes on a whole new persona with a "severe winter" rated tire. There is something about the vehicle dynamics that makes the XC90 more sensitive than most cars to having the correct tires for the conditions. With the proper tires I find that the XC90 is outstanding on snow & ice. Some owners who have not wanted to deal with 2 sets of tires have had pretty good results with the Nokian WR SUV "All Weather Plus." Note that when traction is poor, as when going uphill in snow, it can help to turn off the DSTC.
    '04 XC90 2.5T, ~170K miles, ash gold/graphite, 7-seater, towing, nav
    "Objects in the mirror may be just as they appear." - Steve Forbert

We replaced the Pirelli Scorpions with Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas and we're pretty satisfied. Moving to Alaska soon though and I wish we had purchased Nokian WR tires instead. The Nokian WRs are truly "All Weather" tires.
    '00 V70R AWD
    '02 S40
    '13 XC60 T6
    '16 S60 T5 AWD

I just got a set of Nokian WR's for XC70.

Nice tires. Silent. Handle well. Look cool. Are very hard compared to the stock Pirelli's. Compared to the Pirelli's, these WR's are lke taking off running shoes and putting on some work boots (excellent work boots, that is).

I feel firmly planted at all times , too. And somehow the car accelerates quicker now. Seems it should be the other way around.

I got them from http://www.tiresbyweb.com/
    Free shipping, ultra fast delivery.

Appreciate the responses. I had a set of Dueler ht's. Were not impressed. There may be some gains w/ the Dueler HL Alenzas. I checked out Nokians web page. They do look good. Has any one heard how they have performed for say 10k miles or so and if cust. are still pleased w/ the Nokians? It seems like that tire has been a favorite among XC owners. Something else I thought of, would you be further ahead to own a winter set and summer set? Find the best performing winter tire and the same with a non winter tire or would that not be cost effective? Just a thought. Still need to look at the Goodyear Fortera Silent Armor. Right now for a year round set the Nokians are looking good. Thanks

Appreciate the responses. I had a set of Dueler ht's. Were not impressed. There may be some gains w/ the Dueler HL Alenzas. I checked out Nokians web page. They do look good. Has any one heard how they have performed for say 10k miles or so and if cust. are still pleased w/ the Nokians? It seems like that tire has been a favorite among XC owners. Something else I thought of, would you be further ahead to own a winter set and summer set? Find the best performing winter tire and the same with a non winter tire or would that not be cost effective? Just a thought. Still need to look at the Goodyear Fortera Silent Armor. Right now for a year round set the Nokians are looking good. Thanks

These Nokians are great tires, but hard. The Pirellis would soak up most of the bumps in the road, while these tires tend to translate the bumps right into your spine.

I guess these have a much stiffer sidewall. Grippy, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast