Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question on Transmission "Lurching"

The transmission on our '00 XC (w/75,000 mi.) is starting to act up. We will be driving along at a steady 55-70 mph. when the car will jerk or "lurch" and then run normally again. Might do this 3-5 times in a 10 mile stretch. The jerk or "lurch" lasts for only a second. Acts normal at lower speeds and/or in city driving.

I have felt something similar in a MOPAR that we owned. The same jerk or lurch occurred on acceleration onto the freeway. Turned out that the torque converter was failing. Had to have a transmission rebuilt.

Has anyone out there had the same experience that we are now having? Is this symptom the precursor to a transmission rebuild? Is it common for '00 XC's to need a transmission rebuild after only 75,000 mi? Might the jerk or "lurch" be related to the infamous angle gear starting to fail?

I plan to take the car into my independent Volvo mechanic after the New Years holiday. Will ask him scan the computer for transmission failure codes that might explain what is going on. If a rebuild is needed, can an independent Volvo shop do a rebuild or is a transmission rebuild, like an ETM repalcement, something that can only be done at a Volvo dealership?

What has been reader's experience on the cost of doing a transmission rebuild for '00 XC's?

Edmonds17

I would have it flushed and have the adaptors reset first, this should cure your problem
    You also could have a ETB (throttle body) starting to act up. It can feel like a transmission but it's really not.
    This is not common for this year tranny.

JRL: Thanks for your input.

What are transmission "adaptors?" Can the resetting of the adaptors, as you suggest, be done by an independent Volvo garage or is the resetting something that can only be done at a Volvo dealership?

Is there any way, other than trial and error, to tell if it is a transmission issue rather than the ETM? We are about 23,000 mi/28 mos. into our 2nd ETM. This 2nd ETM shouldn't be failing so soon should it? If it is the ETM, should we see some engine codes documenting the malfunctioning?

Edmonds17

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonds17 View Post
    JRL: Thanks for your input.

What are transmission "adaptors?" Can the resetting of the adaptors, as you suggest, be done by an independent Volvo garage or is the resetting something that can only be done at a Volvo dealership?

Is there any way, other than trial and error, to tell if it is a transmission issue rather than the ETM? We are about 23,000 mi/28 mos. into our 2nd ETM. This 2nd ETM shouldn't be failing so soon should it? If it is the ETM, should we see some engine codes documenting the malfunctioning?

Edmonds17
    It can just be starting to act up.
    I'm not saying that IS your problem, but it could be.
    The adaptions must be set at a dealer or a shop that has VIDA access. There are more than just transmission adaptors, the entire car has them and a reload is always good. It's like a formatting your hard drive or a reboot on your computer.
    When I buy a car, I flush the trans (fix everything else that needs to be fixed as necessary), look for any and all software upgrades and have the car's adaptors all reset.
    You should go to the dealer and see if you have any software available.
    There are some for a 2000 and if yours never has had any upgrades it will take them and run and shift better.
    Of course if your dealer is lame, a huge possibility, I don't know what to tell you

This is starting to sound like a "Gotcha!"

The only people that can diagnose/fix the car is the Volvo dealer. The Volvo dealer knows you have to come to him for repairs. He charges everything he can. Fee to connect to the computer. Ka-ching. Fee for software upgrades. Ka-ching. Exhorbitant parts prices. Ka-ching. High labor rates. Ka-ching.

Gotcha!

The Volvo dealer has maximized his shop revenue. Strangely, he isn't selling many new Volvos however. The Volvo owner dumps the car and buys something else. Volvo then looks at declining sales and declining market share. Volvo wonders why? Toyota and Honda experience double-digit sales growth and increasing market share. Toyota and Honda are happy. Volvo is not.

Edmonds17

Default Update on "Lurching."

Had my independent mechanic "read the codes." No transmission codes. (?) Does show an intermittant engine code.

Mechanic found the car was equipped with Bosch "two-prong" spark plugs (which I told him had been installed in Calif. a couple of years ago.) Mechanic's experience has been that Bosch two-prong and four-prong spark plugs don't work on Volvo turbo models. Doesn't know why.

Mechanics recommendation was to simply change the spark plugs. (This is why I go to an independent mechanic. Guy gives me his best advice even when it means a smaller repair bill.)

I authorized mechanic to change the plugs to what he prefers. Will pick the car up this evening and then go run it on the freeway this weekend.

Stay tuned.

Edmonds17

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonds17 View Post
    The transmission on our '00 XC (w/75,000 mi.) is starting to act up. We will be driving along at a steady 55-70 mph. when the car will jerk or "lurch" and then run normally again. Might do this 3-5 times in a 10 mile stretch. The jerk or "lurch" lasts for only a second. Acts normal at lower speeds and/or in city driving.

I have felt something similar in a MOPAR that we owned. The same jerk or lurch occurred on acceleration onto the freeway. Turned out that the torque converter was failing. Had to have a transmission rebuilt.

Has anyone out there had the same experience that we are now having? Is this symptom the precursor to a transmission rebuild? Is it common for '00 XC's to need a transmission rebuild after only 75,000 mi? Might the jerk or "lurch" be related to the infamous angle gear starting to fail?

I plan to take the car into my independent Volvo mechanic after the New Years holiday. Will ask him scan the computer for transmission failure codes that might explain what is going on. If a rebuild is needed, can an independent Volvo shop do a rebuild or is a transmission rebuild, like an ETM repalcement, something that can only be done at a Volvo dealership?

What has been reader's experience on the cost of doing a transmission rebuild for '00 XC's?

Edmonds17

Sounds exactly what our 1998XC was doing at about the same mileage a few years ago. An ATF flush fixed it using 3309 fluid. Very easy job to do. Good Luck!
    Last edited by srs; 01-05-2007 at 11:31 PM.
    Steven
    2007 XC90 V8
    1998 V70XC
    1992 245

Quote Originally Posted by srs View Post
    Sounds exactly what our 1998XC was doing at about the same mileage a few years ago. An ATF flush fixed it using 3309 fluid. Very easy job to do. Good Luck!
    3309 is the wrong fluid for a 4 speed. I suppose it won't hurt but Dextron 3 (or Mobil 1) is correct, cheaper and better for it

While 3309 was not the original fluid for 4 speeds automatics, in its "Tech-Net Notes" Number 40-04 Volvo included a recommendation for the use of 3309 rather than Dexron in the 4 speed AW 50-42 transmission if either of two complaints arose: "Harsh Lock-Up engagement/disengagement (SB 43-0029)" and "Squeaking noise during low speed turns (TNN 43-11)."

Bill
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Quote Originally Posted by BillAileo View Post
    While 3309 was not the original fluid for 4 speeds automatics, in its "Tech-Net Notes" Number 40-04 Volvo included a recommendation for the use of 3309 rather than Dexron in the 4 speed AW 50-42 transmission if either of two complaints arose: "Harsh Lock-Up engagement/disengagement (SB 43-0029)" and "Squeaking noise during low speed turns (TNN 43-11)."

Bill
    Really?
    I would like to see that, do you have a copy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast